Did I just hear what I thought I heard on classic rock radio?

• Members

Listening to "Jet Airliner" or whatever it's called by Steve Miller Band on the radio the other day...

You know the line that goes, "Don't wanna get caught up in any of that funky {censored} goin down in the city?" That song has been exactly the same every time I've heard it for about the last thirty years, give or take...

I just heard that song on the radio recently, and clearly it had been changed to "funky kicks goin down in the city." :mad:

How would this have been accomplished?? What software would do that?? Was Steve Miller's cooperation even necessary??

Has America's culture really grown so sick and anal that anyone deems this sort of thing desirable or necessary??

Pat Buchanan probably thinks this is cool, but I can't imagine anybody else thinking it's a good thing :(

• Members

AAH! You been hearing things all these years.

Yeah, that's what it is. hearing things that weren't there, or hearing things wrong now that you're so damned old.:eek:

I'm sure they've just gone in and over-ridden that part. Damned easy to do if you have the master.

• Members

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues

Listening to "Jet Airliner" or whatever it's called by Steve Miller Band on the radio the other day...

You know the line that goes, "Don't wanna get caught up in any of that funky {censored} goin down in the city?" That song has been exactly the same every time I've heard it for about the last thirty years, give or take...

I just heard that song on the radio recently, and clearly it had been
changed
to "funky
kicks
goin down in the city."
:mad:

That's been like that on the radio here in Los Angeles for I don't know how long...ten years, twenty years, I dunno. Sometimes I hear it the original way, sometimes with "kicks", but a long time ago, I heard it mostly with "kicks". Regardless, that's not a recent edit at all.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

That's been like that on the radio here in Los Angeles for I don't know how long...ten years, twenty years, I dunno. Sometimes I hear it the original way, sometimes with "kicks", but a long time ago, I heard it mostly with "kicks". Regardless, that's not a recent edit at all.

Thanks Ken :)

The other day was the first time I heard it so I assumed it to be a right wing plot :rolleyes:

Thanks for setting me straight :)

• Members

Originally posted by offramp

I think Frank actually recut the drums of some selected tracks for a ZZTop "remaster"-type release a few years back.

Annoying as hell.

That makes sense. I thought some of the fills sounded different. Man, "if it ain't broke..." Why? :rolleyes:

• Members

"ah who the {censored} are you"

I'm surprised this one makes it to the airwaves, but I frequently hear this unedited version on the radio, as well as the unedited "Jet Airliner". Maybe the program directors never really listen to the lyrics being played on their stations.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue:

Kicks
just keep getting harder to find.

blue, it almost seems as if you revere that lyric.

Would it seem in excess, then, if I were to use the word "kick" twice?

Sometimes you kick

Sometimes you get kicked

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I just heard that song on the radio recently, and clearly it had been
changed
to "funky
kicks
goin down in the city."
:mad:

How would this have been accomplished?? What software would do that?? Was Steve Miller's cooperation even necessary??

Has America's culture really grown so sick and anal that
anyone
deems this sort of thing desirable or necessary??

Pat Buchanan probably thinks this is cool, but I can't imagine anybody else thinking it's a good thing
:(

Apparently showing people getting stabbed and shot on tv shows is ok , but the unclothed human body is *bad*.

I may be dating myself, but I actually "get" your reference
:D

...before you find out it's too late...

Yeah, I remember that song too. :)

The SMB edit is a old one - I've heard it both ways for years... although for the past several, it's been more {censored} than kicks... I think there's a metaphor in there somewhere about middle age and life in general... ;)

• Members

They've been doing that for years. Just like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". The artist cuts two versions, one said "I told you once, you son of a gun"...the other replaces "gun" with "bitch". They put the one with the tamer language on the "radio friendly version".

• Members

What it boils down to is knowing your audience...time of day, what have you.

"Tell me who the {censored} are you..."...usually played on stations where, these days, program directors are aware that generally the folks listening to this won't complain.

"I told you once, you son of a bitch/gun"...could be played on classic rock, top 40, or country stations. Whereas most classic rock listeners wouldn't complain, top 40 or country listeners might.

It's all based on complaints. You can pretty much say what you want on radio...and if no one complains to the FCC, you're okay. But, once someone complains, that's where the problems start.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

The concept isn't new, either. A lot of CDs are released in "clean" and "explicit" versions.

That's very true and I actually help my daughter pick out some of her cd's when she buys music so that I can help her avoid cd's that are too explicit. We often find the same cd in two different releases, especially in the genre she likes. Her being only 12, I'm still trying to be the protective dad, knowing full well she is listening to plenty of the explicit versions when hanging out with her school friends.

Archived