Did I just hear what I thought I heard on classic rock radio?

• Members

Um, who actually listens to Steve Miller's lyrics?

Well, I really like the line about the pompitous of love, but other than that, I know what the facts is.

---------

The producers of the recent Jon Cryer release, "The Pompatus of Love" took their spelling of the word from the sheet music for The Joker as printed in the songbook "Rock Hits Through the Years" published by Warner Chappell. Many die-hard SMB fans would argue for the spelling as POMPITOUS as this is the first and only spelling in print on a Steve Miller Band release.

"The pompitous of love" originates from a line in The Medallions' 1954 R&B hit The Letter. Miller was a fan of 50's R&B, so he's very familiar with that tune.

On first hearing that particular track, it would appear that the line is:

Let me whisper sweet words of pismotality and discuss the pompitous of love

• Members

i remember a radio version of van morrison's "brown eyed girl" where, on the last verse, instead of "making love in the green grass/behind the stadium", they cut in the line from one of the other verses. always wondered if they cut in just the vocal or took the whole mix.

• Members

Then of course there's the original version of "Play That Funky Music"...

Play that funky music, white boy

Play that funky music right...

... compared against the version I heard on a New York radio station, probably owned by Clearly Monopolistic Channel...

Play that funky music

(play that funky music!)

Play that funky music right...

I was offended by the clean version.

Am I going mad?

• Members

Anyone remember Steely Dan's "Show Biz' Kids". There is a lyric near the ending:

Show bizness' kids makin' movies of themselves
You know they don't give a {censored} about anybody else

I once read somewhere that the song was denied radio airplay because Donald Fagen refused to edit out the lyric.

• Members

I just want to know why everyone wants to listen to the same classic rock songs over and over and over and over again. Even though most of them are great songs, I'm just plain sick of them. I never intentionally put on the classic rock radio stations anymore. I don't care if I ever hear Jet Airliner (either version) again.
Aren't any of the rest of you sick of these tunes too?

• Members

Amplayer sez:

I just want to know why everyone wants to listen to the same classic rock songs over and over and over and over again.

I think it was Frank Zappa who complained that "classic rock" was stealing people's memories: Originally, that old classic tune reminded you of "that one time" back in your youth...But after hearing the same song 900 more times in "tight rotation" on corporate radio, what that song now reminds you of is being on a freeway offramp, on your way to a job you didn't like, way back in 2003!

And when those old memories go Steppin' Out, that ain't a Good Thing!!
top1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by amplayer

I just want to know why everyone wants to listen to the same classic rock songs over and over and over and over again.

I'm with you 100%. Even though I like these artists, I could go without ever hearing from the following:

Steve Miller

John Mellencamp

Bob Seger

Archived