Intel Based Mac available now.

zeronyne

• Members

iMac

Dual Core Intel, 3x faster than G5 (Each processor is faster than G5)

Same screen sizes, same price

10.4.4 (announced today, apparently available) runs natively on the Intel CPU.

Included apps are native, Pro apps (including Logic, I guess) will be universal in March...you can trade your Disc for a universal one for $49.00.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I gather there is concern that PC users might start running pirated MacOS on their PCs.

I recently ran my complex 3DCAD drawings on a top of the line wide screen Mac Laptop - it was substanially slower than my widescreen P4 laptop for sure - this should be a great update for Mac users.

• Members

Originally posted by object.session

yes. the 1 MHz mac still runs about as fast as the 4 MHz PC.

but now, they are both even more obsolete.

But what if you're talking about an elevator controller! :D

I gather there is concern that PC users might start running pirated MacOS on their PCs.

They might. THey've got all sorts of hardware hacks on the MacTel platform to prevent this. You can't outsmart the geeky kids, you can only slow them down.

The thing I don't understand though, is why. I guess to show that it can be done.

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton:

They might. THey've got all sorts of hardware hacks on the MacTel platform to prevent this. You can't outsmart the geeky kids, you can only slow them down.

The thing I don't understand though, is
why
. I guess to show that it can be done.

I'm looking forward to being able to install Windows on one of these new Macs. There's plenty of great software that's Mac-only and PC-only. Wouldn't it be great to run both on the same computer? Especially when traveling with a laptop and space is at a premium, I think it would be great to have so much versatility in one 15.4" MacBook Pro.

Virtual PC can only do so much, after all. ;)

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I wish I had money for a computer now. Stuck in PeeCee Heck right now.

All in all, the NEATEST part fo the new MacBooks is the little magnetic power connector thing. The current connectors on nearly ALL laptops just suck.

Another round of winners ( hopefully) for Apple.

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

I'm looking forward to being able to install Windows on one of these new Macs. There's plenty of great software that's Mac-only and PC-only. Wouldn't it be great to run both on the same computer? Especially when traveling with a laptop and space is at a premium, I think it would be great to have so much versatility in one 15.4" MacBook Pro.

Virtual PC can only do so much, after all.
;)

Best,

Geoff

I unfortunately need to run one critical PC-only business app and everything else I use is for OS X.

It looks like it will be possible to install Windows on the new Intel Macs, without emulating in VPC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/

• Members

Originally posted by Ed A.:

It looks like it will be possible to install Windows on the new Intel Macs, without emulating in VPC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/

Exactly what I was referring to above. ;)

In fact, for the time being, it's the only way to run Windows on a MacIntel computer:

Virtual PC 7 will not run on Intel-based Macs

Thanks, Ed for sharing the article though - I'm glad Phil Schiller reaffirmed in it that Apple won't try to stop users from installing Windows in its MacIntels. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

One concern:

The mac quad is a killer machine, the best machine for pro work on a mac, a killer machine (did I mention that?) and most importantly, I just got one!

While the issue now is that pro apps will not be native intel (Universal Binary) for some time, the issue will eventually reverse and become the availability of PowerPC versions of current software. At some point, software companies will stop developing for PowerPC, and Universal Binary will be replaced by intel-only versions.

At this point, the lack of native intel software is apparently a primary reason for Apple delaying the introduction of intel-based pro desktops, since pro-users would not be satisfied with Rosetta emulation. However, Jobs announced that he expects a total migration to intel accross all macs in 2006, which is sooner than originally planned.

Therefore, for my sake, if for no other reason, :) , we need to make sure that software companies continue to support PowerPC versions of their software well into 2007.

Actually, that would work out fine for me since the quad (a killer machine, did I mention?) easilly tides me over until then, giving Apple time to work out the kinks on beta - er, I mean, initial - versions of their MacIntels.

(Mild dissappointment: no wireless mighty mouse yet; hopefully soon.)

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

brittanylips (btw, i can't write that name without thinking about 5 distinct dirty thoughts): i think that's the obvious downside to things. some people are definitely going to be screwed. from what i hear, the same thing happened with one of the os versions (x?) ? i've heard some audio software developers talk about that switch, too, and they weren't too happy with it. dunno if the intel switch will be a good or bad thing for developers.

• Members

brittanylips (btw, i can't write that name without thinking about 5 distinct dirty thoughts):

Only 5? :mad::D

i think that's the obvious downside to things. some people are definitely going to be screwed. from what i hear, the same thing happened with one of the os versions (x?) ? i've heard some audio software developers talk about that switch, too, and they weren't too happy with it. dunno if the intel switch will be a good or bad thing for developers.

Ultimately good, I think, but ultimately is at least a year away, if not longer.

Two particular AOCs ("Applications Of Concern") for me are Logic and Finale. Apple has indicated a March launch for the Universal Binary version of Logic. However, since Apple often leverages its software/hardware relationships to encourage customers to upgrade, it's likely that they will stop development on PowerPC versions of Logic so that users will be compelled to buy new hardware to run the latest version. Apple knows that they can rely on their pro users to upgrade hardware with minimal prodding, so I fully expect to be prodded: new features in software will encourage a hardware upgrade to use them.

An interesting twist in the other direction just occurred with Final Cut Pro - the current version minus one (last year's FCP) needs to see particular video cards in order to run. However, the video card in the quad, Apple's latest, is not among those recognized by last year's version of FCP. Therefore, my new quad will not run my (legal) copy of FCP, even though this is not that old a version - I HAVE to upgrade the software just to run it on my new hardware!

The other AOC, Finale, is just so complex, and the company (MakeMusic) that makes it has limited resources, that it takes everything they've got just to make current versions useable for serious work. I think Finale's a great program, but because of its complexity to resource ratio, it typically lags behind other software migration timetables, and once it catches up, there's no looking back.

One prediction, by the way: Apple stock is spiking in the 80s. If it can maintain that (and I think it will), it will likely split, and have another great year in '06.

OK, one more prediction. Whenever Apple has one of these shindigs in which they release new products, there's always a cloud of rumors that turn out to be unfounded. But even if no actual product emerges to confirm the rumosr, there's often some truth to them, and an indication of things to come. It's the nature of the cycle that lips loosen around these events, and rumor-mongers become more aggresive to find material.

The most spectacular recent rumor concerned a large flat screen TV that would house an Apple computer and run a version of Front Row. In other words, a natural development of Apple's efforts to move their computers from the office to the living room. Makes sense - a few tweaks to Front Row, a big beautiful screen, and Apple would have an amazing home entertainment center for music/photos/movies/TV/etc, and a logical counterpart to the iPod.

Well, it didn't happen. But I wouldn't rule it out. Just as they've done before with products based on components whose prices were temporarily high but in flux, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is waiting for the price of several critical components to come down to a level at which they can sell it at an affordable price and decent profit.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

But what if you're talking about an elevator controller!
:D

The thing I don't understand though, is
why
. I guess to show that it can be done.

Well... putting it on a faster machine would certainly help. But since I've had to work on an OS X machine, the OS mystique went way out the window. (That said, there seem to be some things that Apple has done right in laying down the foundation for their long-rumored/still-rumored move to take over the living room.)

But I honestly had thought, from looking over other folks shoulders, that I would like OS X. But it wasn't to be. I'm used to it now and I don't hate it by any stretch... but sometimes it seems like Apple thinks OS X is 'the show' and not the apps... Too many "cute" OS tricks that don't, for me, get my job done. Too much hurry up and wait. (Not my machine... I can't turn off all the "cool" FX, ani's, etc.) I get on a computer to get something done.

In fact, I'm dreading Vista because, as it's been described, it incorporates some of the features I think are most problematic in OS X. (Although the worst of those would appear to be the cobbled together interface between the Mach3 kernal layer and the Darwin layer. I haven't read anything about an architecture overhaul, but I would say as long as they wrap the microkernal Mach 3 in the monolithic Darwin layer, they're going to have problems with multi-thread processes. Anyone have an update on that?)

Anyhow... I'm anxious to check out the new Macs. The PB sounds like one of the best deals Apple's offered on a higher end portable. (Of course, I'm sure that by the time you get out the door the price will have increased about 25-30%, with various add-ons and gotta-haves.)

PS... re: Mac March to Conquer Living roomg... Hmmm... I may have been believing the hype too much, myself. This Macworld article shows that the Mac, as with the PC, has quite a ways to go before it can comfortably take its place in the center of a home media system. (The article is more concerned with media control software like Frontrow (which he gives middling-at-best marks to) and peripheral control -- which is where the rubber meets the road, after all.)

Archived