Just bought another guitar (I now have 10)

fuzzball

• Members

well I have had many guitars over the years and around 2 years ago I managed to get my collection down below 13. I have been good for the last 8 months and have refrained from buying any guitars, well I pulled the trigger and bought another one today bringing my collection to 10.

I just can't help it!!!

• Members

Well, I have so many it is hard to spend the proper amount of time with each one. I use each for specific purposes and sounds.

I do record very often and my band has been gearing up to play more gigs.

I actualy bought a cheap OLP MM1, most of them I found to be junk but for some reason this one was sweet, it had great tone (inbetween a strat and a LP). It just rocks.

• Members

Yeah, I just bought #13 today. I do have a sickness.

However, this is the one I've been wanting forever, and I am going to try to be content, and probably even winnow the herd.

Uhhu... I tried, sold 3 and.. bought another 3 :cry:

• Members

I have 20 and have been MUCH higher also. I agree though. Its not that its a bad thing owning 13 or 40 guitars? The problem is spending quality time with them. I know.........sounds like I'm talking about the lady or the kids. But even at 20 I'm still to high. And there are electrics that just do not get played very much. Once or twice a year. And if they don't have a shroud covering them inside the case? Seems like they need to be re-strung.
I honestly think that 10 is a GOOD number and 13 isn't bad either. But I look at it like this. There are certain Tones you just have to have. Or "I" have to have. Strat and Tele, then there's the Semi and Hollow. Then there's the Les-Paul and the P-90 and the Gretch and Rick tones? And don't forget you need the Acoustic and the Bass. So in a NY-Minute we are at TEN?
And if there's a certain electric that really is your favorite, which most of us have. Then you will be likely to have a few of those. For me its STRATOCASTER's. I have to have a Rosewood and a Maple board. I need a ASH body and a ALDER body. And Trem or Hardtail...........then you have to have different pick-ups cause some just sound SO-GOOD that its not even a question of chosing which one? You need BOTH! And I'm pretty fond of Tele's TOO. I like a Maple/Ash combo thats bright and clear.....just a classic TONE. BUT I also dig the ALDER/Rosewood combination with a set of ALNICO II Pro that straight up RAWK! Great sounding Tele theri also.
So its pretty easy to go over Ten. But TEN is the number I always shoot for. Even though I'm at Twenty? I know there are electrics which could GO. I like them and its nice to have the extra's around? But I don't NEED them. I have that Tone covered in a different electric. And I rationalize.......well I'll keep this Yamaha or Michael Kelly cause it plays and sounds GREAT and its Not all that expensive! So If I take one OUT and I loose it? Oh well.....I didn't loose my $2000. dollar HAMER that gets the same Tones? Thats my FAVORITE rationalization!

• Members

"Hi, I'm Ned, and I have eight or more guitars." ("Hi, Ned")

"I remember when I got my first new guitar. What a thrill. It made me feel like a regular person, for the first time. And every time I reach for the phone, to place an order, or walk in to a guitar store, I feel that sense of power and possibility. I want to be somebody. I want to buy a guitar!"

"I still want to buy guitars. But I hope, with the help of the group, that I can hold off for a while. Yesterday, I had an urge to buy a beautiful used Gibson Classic Custom, with '57 Classic pickups. I called my sponsor, and he came down to the store. He got a LP Standard that was on sale for one week only. And I bought the Classic. But, we were there for each other, even if we had a slip and bought guitars that day."

• Members

Given the low cost of some of the imports, I don't think 10 is bad at all. Even if a few of them don't get much play time. They're just nice/fun to have around and if that makes you happy then so be it.

Hasn't anyone ever seen Jay Leno's car collection? :D

Also, how many of your wives have more tied up in their shoes than you do in gear? I know women with 30 or more frickin' pair of shoes.

• Members

I go through cycles. I will unload a bunch and have a few for awhile and then I build back up. Who knows. All I do know is that when I get in a sell mode I usually end up letting something go that I will later regret.

• Members

Why is having alot of guitars bad? I have around thirty guitars and am glad I have that many.

belongs in another thread called too many guitars and this is called hoarding - it's a mental disorder.

too many guitars is bad!

• Members

I got down to 6 plus a bass right now and am happy. But I still check out eBay and MF and AMS and Music123 and the spam thread here nearly every single day. The urge to pull the trigger isn't nearly as strong as in years past.

I have to say that finding 4 guitars that I absolutely love everything about and having them set up exactly how I want them really does a lot to curb the temptation. I've got a pretty sweet playing LP, my strat is better than ever after doing the frets, my Brian May Red Special is just amazing and that cheap old OLP with the Floyd Rose is just kickass.

And if those are enough I've got a Samick UM-3 (PRS knockoff) and an Ibanez RG that are both Roland Ready that can plug right into my VG-8 and do just about anything I can imagine. The strat will plug in as well.

I just don't have the need or desire for anything else right now, all my bases are covered sonically and in feel.

But it took a hell of a long time to get there.

• Members

I have no problem playing the high number I have -- there are actually 4 out of 13 that really see any kind of real action (Epi LP Custom, Gibby SG Special, Gibby SG Classic, and Squier 51) plus my basses get played and my Dean acoustic. My problem is maintenance on them -- cleaning, changing strings, keeping things tight and working. I don't have time. Most need a string change, and I have two that are out of action and in the middle of major repairs that just don't seem to get done.

• Members
Well, I have so many it is hard to spend the proper amount of time with each one. I use each for specific purposes and sounds.

I do record very often and my band has been gearing up to play more gigs.

I actualy bought a cheap OLP MM1, most of them I found to be junk but for some reason this one was sweet, it had great tone (inbetween a strat and a LP). It just rocks.

Congrats!

At 21 electrics (includes a couple basses) I certainly have more than I "need," even being in 3 bands. But at this point it's not about "need," just having fun. I love having different looking guitars that make different tones and play differently.

At this point I don't actively "shop" for guitars. And I try to only seriously consider guitars that will fill some "niche" I don't already have filled, either tone-wise or visually, or both. And if it ain't a very good deal I don't even consider it, even if it does fill a niche.

Despite all that, guitars that are good deals and compliment what I already have seem to find me. My last two acquisitions were cheapo hundred-dollar bolt-neck thinline-style semi-hollows. They were inexpensive, and filled niches because I had never previously had any type of semi-hollow, and each had a pickup configuration (double mini-humbuckers on one, three toaster-top singles on the other) I didn't already have.

I can think of lots of worse hobbies/addictions to have!

:thu:

• Members

belongs in another thread called too many guitars and this is called hoarding - it's a mental disorder.

too many guitars is bad!

Nope. I still have plenty of room to walk around in my house. And my music room isn't particularly cluttered. I would begin to think that I was a hoarder if I had in the neighborhood of a hundred guitars. But all I do is play music and play an extremely wide variety of music. Most of my guitars are "vintage" too.

Archived