gibson faded double cuts

echodeluxe

• Members

i {censored}ing want one.

what do you guys think about them?

i played one in gc a long time ago and it coulda used a fret dressing and an adjustment but i thought it was sweet.

anything inherently bad with them? something better i should hold off for? sexy time?

• Members

I never had any issues with mine either. Evryone I know that has one really digs it. I had to have a Yellow so I bought mine NEW! It COST that way. I paid over 7 bills plus bought a HSC and a SKB Deluxe at that.

But..........I have seen MANY used in the $500. range. A few right at $5 bills and a few just slightly over. Some with case's some with a bag? They are good sounding electrics. As mentioned I NEVER had a issue with mine. I have heard about the set-necks snapping off at the joint? I never seen one do this. Only read about it. And no tech that I know has seen one with a set-neck problem either? But to be fair............there is NOT a lot of real-estate where the neck seats to the body. But I like the weight/Tone of the guitar so {censored} it I went with it.

Recently I also bought a Gibson Melody Maker P-90. They stopped production on them after 2-years. Well actually they went back to the single-coil design.

But for 1/2 the price of the LP-DC Faded its a SMOKING P-90 electric. I actually play mine MORE than the LP-DC. I find the single P-90 in the bridge just really is a Rocking pup. Its a Dog Earred style P-90 compared to the regular style on the LP-DC. but there are no difference in the actual pick-up. I just like everything about the darn guitar.

The LP-DC Faded though is a more versitile electric.

I also looked at a few other P-90 loaded electric that were built outside the USA. Don't sleep on PRS's two SE-Soapbar offerings, or Schecters C-Style Gold-Top. All three are very nice electrics also. The Epi LP-Gold-Top is a contender also. With some Gibson pick-ups in it? You have a Killer GT at a fraction of the price! Good Luck

• Members

I also looked at a few other P-90 loaded electric that were built outside the USA. Don't sleep on PRS's two SE-Soapbar offerings, or Schecters C-Style Gold-Top. All three are very nice electrics also. The Epi LP-Gold-Top is a contender also. With some Gibson pick-ups in it? You have a Killer GT at a fraction of the price! Good Luck

I like all of these that you have mentioned here. I want another P-90 guitar, love this one the OP is looking at.

• Members

That looks real nice man. Fuels my gas, lol. I can't decide if I like the yellow or red more. Any reason why you chose the yellow? I've heard the red can look a little too faded, cheap looking, whereas aworn yellow will just look cooler with age. I think these are listed for $769 new at MF, not too bad a price for a dual P-90 Gibson. Simple looking guitar, but that is part of it's charm to me.

• Members

They are cool. The only thing I did not like was how the finish looked up close. But hell you don't think about that stuff when you are playing.

Of course you have to mill through a few befor finding one made "proper". Frets were the big issue (imo) with the ones I tried.

• Members

I want one as well. I would really like a Gibson SG '61 RI for slide in Open E because I like Derek Truck's tone. Then I found the faded double cut and thought that would be better because I like the tone of P90s more than 'buckers. So I want either a LP faded double cut or SG Classic for my slide guitar, unless I like the '61 RI better.

• Members

My friend got this the other day. Im sure she won't mind me showing it off.

SV203524.jpg

Is she married? :love::love::love:

Because I just committed bigamy in my heart.

Another cool cheap Gibson-type P-90 guitar for those on a budget is the Schecter Tempest Special. I picked one up used, VG, w/ohsc for $250:

TempestSmaller.jpg

• Members

You know, I was in Tennessee about a month ago and the Gibson store was selling the single cuts for $699. I really wasn't expecting to like them but I picked one up and was really impressed with the weight, feel and playability. Looking at what the prices are on used and new ones, I really wished I had picked one up. They were willing to deal and I'm betting I could have at least gotten another $50 off.

• Members

I have the red one. More comments below pic:

387485449_abc5be7683_o.jpg

I'd wanted one for about a year before I got mine. I had been to four different stores and played every one they had. Somewhere around half of them had issues with the neck angle, it was just off enough to the shallow side, that you'd never be able to get the action low enough to make me happy....essentially the bridges were already bottomed out and the action was still too high.

When I would find a nice one that didn't have other issues (like having been beat up from sitting out on the floor), I never had the disposable cash.

Then about 6 months ago, I ran across a online classified in another forum and he wanted $450 for it, so after exchanging e-mails a bit, I bought it. I figured I could flip it if I didn't like it.

I got lucky....it's actually the nicest one of all those I had played. Now, outside my Gretsches, it's my favorite guitar. They just play so well when they're good and those P-90s absoultely rock and also do really warm fuzzy feelgood cleans when you want too.

Don't let the finish fool you either...for one, a thin finish is best for tone (so they say) and the Gibson fadeds have the thinnest nitro finish of their entire line of guitars. As you play it, they smooth out to a nice satiny gloss that just feels wonderful. The guys I jam with love it when I bring my LPFDC, and I always have to surrender it for a bit so they can experience the bliss that is a nice Gibby.:)

• Members

Good review. And nice guit too. You are not helping my GAS any. I had been thinking about a Gretsch 5120, something different from what I have. I played one, thought it was pretty nice, and it is indeed different from the Fenders and Epis I own. But would I play it all that much? I dunno. And so I also really want a good solidbody P-90 guitar, and this one is almost at the top of the list. When I sell my Epi Custom LP, I will be buying something to replace it, and this is on the top 3 list. Should I drive the hour or so it takes to get to a GC,or order online or ebay? Seems like GC is the best bet to actually see and feel one. The most expensive route too.

I have the red one. More comments below pic:

387485449_abc5be7683_o.jpg

I'd wanted one for about a year before I got mine. I had been to four different stores and played every one they had. Somewhere around half of them had issues with the neck angle, it was just off enough to the shallow side, that you'd never be able to get the action low enough to make me happy....essentially the bridges were already bottomed out and the action was still too high.

When I would find a nice one that didn't have other issues (like having been beat up from sitting out on the floor), I never had the disposable cash.

Then about 6 months ago, I ran across a online classified in another forum and he wanted $450 for it, so after exchanging e-mails a bit, I bought it. I figured I could flip it if I didn't like it.

I got lucky....it's actually the nicest one of all those I had played. Now, outside my Gretsches, it's my favorite guitar. They just play so well when they're good and those P-90s absoultely rock and also do really warm fuzzy feelgood cleans when you want too.

Don't let the finish fool you either...for one, a thin finish is best for tone (so they say) and the Gibson fadeds have the thinnest nitro finish of their entire line of guitars. As you play it, they smooth out to a nice satiny gloss that just feels wonderful. The guys I jam with love it when I bring my LPFDC, and I always have to surrender it for a bit so they can experience the bliss that is a nice Gibby.
:)

• Members

anything inherently bad with them?

They seem to suffer from really spotty quality control. I've seen/played four now that probably shouldn't have been on the sales floor.

Two had neck pickups just rattling around unanchored in the pickup routing.

One of those had some sort of finish flaw wherein the yellow stain was applied so unevenly that one section was almost orange in color and an area right next to it was virtually raw wood. Another had a non-functioning pickup selector, and another had non-working tone controls. That one also had the tailpiece screws backed out almost all the way, I'm guessing to compensate for some flaw in the bridge set-up, but it might have just been something they did at GC. Bottom line, I abandoned the idea of buying one when only one out of five (a red one) was flaw-free. I assumed that one was bad, too but I just couldn't find the problem. Bought a Godin LG P90 instead. For less.

• Members

Should I drive the hour or so it takes to get to a GC,or order online or ebay?

I would strongly recommend buying one you can play first, but someplace like Musician's Friend where you can keep sending them back till you get one you like would probably work too.

I want to add, they are very nice and light (maybe 6 pound neighborhood) and balance beautifully on a strap.

• Members

The faded DCs are probably great players, but I hate, hate, hate the "faded" finish. Rather than looking like a well-worn veteran's working instrument, to me it just looks cheaply and shoddily put together.

On the positive side, I guess there's less worry about nicks and dings if it's destined to be a working instrument.

When I was looking around for a dual-p90 guitar I considered the LP Special DC p-90 (or whatever the non-"faded" version is/was called -- I think it's discontinued now), which you can get used for a couple hundred more than the faded DC costs new. But I ended up settling on a 90s Hamer Special P-90, which is solidly constructed, sounds totally tits, looks great, and is available used for less than a faded LP DC. No pickguard, unfortunately, but I'm still considering having one made.

• Members

The Faded Double Cuts sound terrific. The faded finish is what it is. It is going to cost you several hundred dollars more to get a full nitro- shiny lacquer finish. The quality control on the ones I have played seems to be better than on the Faded SGs. However, the fret ends can be a little jagged. I would recommend buying from a dealer who is an official Gibson Repair/warranty technician. Fret end filing would be considered a warranty issue and the dealer could then straighten things out. May I suggest E.M. Shorts. They will inspect your guitar, stet it up to your specs (including preferred strings) and they have a "no questions asked return policy." In my experience, they will beat MF's price by a comfortable margin. Check 'em out:

http://www.wichitaband.com/guitar.html

I was going to purchase one from them until I found a used mid-90's Les Paul Special Double Cutaway (neck binding, full finish) In the end it was worth it to me to go for the full enchilada ($900 otd):

Nt_She_Special.jpg

• Members

Love mine, well, my daughter's LP DC faded Yellow. We both love each other's axe's. We trade back and forth. She doesn't like the hum the p-90's make through the Fender but she loves the sound. So she uses the Peavy trans tube and it hums less. We actually got as good one at GC after playing a few. :thu:

Archived