New Xavieres

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone know if these are Korean or Chinese?

A brand new factory in China- Korean guys run it so all of the money goes to Korea- It's the way the world works now- But quality here is the best I've seen in the past four years- and that includes all of th eKorean factories we have used.

The big issue for us was the construction- NOBODY builds a bolt on guitar made like a 335- So we had to invest in the molds for the body rims and get the right kind of maple lammed up for the tops and back- lots of experimenting-

Finish is also critical- Polyester is cheap and the Chinese stuff tends to always seem a little milky- these guys can do the super thin, hard catalyzed urethane (2 part) finish that the better Japanese and Korean manufactirers use- BIG difference in appearance and tone.

So the "Made in China" or "Made in Korea" thinkg is kind of immaterial- it's more about WHO is making them- you can't lump them all in together-

Jay

• Members

A brand new factory in China- Korean guys run it so all of the money goes to Korea- It's the way the world works now- But quality here is the best I've seen in the past four years- and that includes all of th eKorean factories we have used.

The big issue for us was the construction- NOBODY builds a bolt on guitar made like a 335- So we had to invest in the molds for the body rims and get the right kind of maple lammed up for the tops and back- lots of experimenting-

Finish is also critical- Polyester is cheap and the Chinese stuff tends to always seem a little milky- these guys can do the super thin, hard catalyzed urethane (2 part) finish that the better Japanese and Korean manufactirers use- BIG difference in appearance and tone.

So the "Made in China" or "Made in Korea" thinkg is kind of immaterial- it's more about WHO is making them- you can't lump them all in together-

Jay

Thanks a lot for the informative post, I've been impressed with MIC Artcores so I know it's certainly not definitive that MIK is better than MIC, and your post spells out all the reasons why that's the case.

I'm definitely getting a P90 Tele, they look fantastic!

• Members

Agreed about the binding. Binding would sweeten up some of those single-cuts. Although I'm sure the price will have to account for that too
:)

Can't do binding-

These are a molded Maple lam shell with flat Maple lam top and back- It's built like an empty carton with a solid poplar log in the middle- If we routed for binding we'd compromise the integrity of the body- and adding kerfing to the inside would radically alter the tone.

Kind of a new way to build a guitar- Danelectro with some science...

Jay

• Members

ETA?

Warehouse full as of TODAY-

Should be up on the site by week's end with simply photos- Detailed photos up by next week- But you should be able to order by Friday.

Some particular color/neck/pickup combos will be sold out almost immediately- So I'll give you guys a heads up when i post them. (As long as I'm not spamming the forum, which this whole thread is kind of on the borderline of doing...)

Jay

• Members

Can't do binding-

These are a molded Maple lam shell with flat Maple lam top and back- It's built like an empty carton with a solid poplar log in the middle- If we routed for binding we'd compromise the integrity of the body- and adding kerfing to the inside would radically alter the tone.

Jay

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

• Members

Holy {censored} you guys are fast-

Hope to have them up with preliminary photos by Friday- then a more elaborate html page for each item by next week. Some very well done metalflakes, some cool vintage colors- all in rosewood or maple.

Also sparkle XV700's by week's end.

New Lp shaped guitars including a quilt top semi hollow with GFS pickups should be in stock by mid November as well.

Not trying to offer every possible body style- just trying to get a few basic platforms and "Modding" them prior to sale- the basics- Good pickups, Full sized ALPHA pots, ALPHA lever action toggle rather than the box switch that's on all the epis- medium jumbo frets levelled and dressed, steel bridge with steel saddles, string through- stuff you usually don't get in the lower price ranges.

Jay

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:love::love::love:

• Members

Jay

OK, I know that this is probably a stupid question, but what makes the molded shell different from a normal Thinline Tele?

Do the Strat-style double cutaways sound a lot different than the Tele style, or is it simply a matter of aesthetics?

• Members

OK, I know that this is probably a stupid question, but what makes the molded shell different from a normal Thinline Tele?

Do the Strat-style double cutaways sound a lot different than the Tele style, or is it simply a matter of aesthetics?

Tele Thinlines are just solid wood bodies that are hollowed out and then joined in the middle- So even if they Start as 3 or 4 pieces of wood they get glued up as a left and right half- hollowed out, glued together to form a slab with a hollow core- and then cut into the shape of a guitar- These are formed more like a traditional acoustic- with molded sides, flat top and back but a poplar center core for sustain. One of the problems with the hollowed out solidbody is sustain can be affected and usually they are not very acoustic- with the lighter, thinner top and back you get a brighter acoustic tone and a woodier amplified tone.

yes Double CUtaway guitars do have more internal volume so they sound quite a bit fuller- Single cutaways have more spank.

• Members

These are formed more like a traditional acoustic- with molded sides, flat top and back but a poplar center core for sustain. One of the problems with the hollowed out solidbody is sustain can be affected and usually they are not very acoustic- with the lighter, thinner top and back you get a brighter acoustic tone and a woodier amplified tone.

yes Double CUtaway guitars do have more internal volume so they sound quite a bit fuller- Single cutaways have more spank.

Awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

Archived