Your most comfortable guitar?

Misha III

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Peavey Nitro Custom is my most comfortable guitar. It's a neck-thru, with absolutely *no* heel where the neck and body meet. The body is rounded and contoured so that there are no corners on it...it's lightweight and well-balanced. I've had it since '88 or so, and it's not going anywhere.

Here's a pic: http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/one4rich/JQ%20Pics/?action=view&current=scans00022.jpg

• Members

This is gonna sound odd, but maybe someone else can relate. When I gig or do my twice Sunday sets, I don't even notice whether or not my guitar is comfortable. I'm focusing in on the music, and nothing else really distracts me. At that point, the shape of the neck and the weight of the body makes no difference.

Pretty similar to how I feel. Even a Les Paul, which I am not inclined to play as much at home or during a long rehearsal (the weight can be a bit noticed on my neck and shoulder muscles), feels absolutely great when I am on stage in front of a crowd. I think the rush of playing live tends to mask some of the slight irritations that might be more noticeable in another situation.

• Members

OK - is this a serious question or just subjective.

First off - Gibson Les Pauls are not ergonomically designed. the button strap on the single cut makes the strap come too close to your collar bone for confort (hence the weight complaint) the lack of contours on the back and top make the angle for picking uncomfortable for your right forearm (if you play for hours standing up you'll get a rub rash on your right arm. Access to the higher frets are uncomfortable becuase of the neck joint.

Les Paul - no a comfortable guitar.

Second - Telecaster - Are you kidding me? Same problems are above and it only has 21 frets - completely OUT!

Fender Strat - ergonomically much more comfortable. It does have a relatively large neck joint - a good choice but not perfect.

PRS - has ergonomics but the edge by your right arm still creates friction on your forearm - good but not perfect.

Ibanez RG - argonomically equal to the Strat with a better neck joint. so far the most comfortable guitar in my experiment based on strap location, contours and a better neck joint not to mention it's got 24 frets making it obvioulsy easier to get to the 22nd fret.

IMO

:thu:

For me it's my Godin Exit 22 - it's sort of like an ergonomic LP. Strap button is further out, has tummy and forearm contours, has easy access neck joint. It's way heavy but it just hugs my body. So even though it's heavier than my Ibanez RG it feels better on me. And I really like the neck. Just wish it was 25.5" scale

Archived