Gibson question...

drftrman

• Moderators

...Have you ever built a guitar body?

Years ago my brother got the components for a strat minus the body. He wanted to try a maple body so we built one.

It was way too bright and brittle, not a success. Maple is too hard for guitar bodies.

The tone is in the wood, and I found out the hard way.

You don't get urban myths, half-truths, or exaggerations from building a guitar and learning from your mistakes. Whether or not you agree with me or Mr X, my guitar building experience confirmed it.

And regarding my source for nitro finishes - read the Ted McCarthy Gibson book, which directly quotes people who worked at the factory back in the 50s and 60s. Right from the horse's mouth and the sorry lot of you call me a liar...

The Real MC, thanks for your enlightening posts, I have kept them to scare my kids into going to bed early and eat healthy foods in case the boogie man get inside their head, like he obviously has in yours

I recognise you as SKYNETRP and I claim my $10.

Nice one man:wave:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boy you guys are crafty - twisting the argument and then labeling me as a close-minded narcissist. You're not that good.

I never said nitro was illegal - I said it was banned from high volume production.

I never said maple bodies sucked because I failed, my point was that different woods have radically different sounds when applied to guitars.

I will not submit to manipulation and gross misjudgement by having my words twisted, so run along and go play pin the tail on the jackass on someone less clued into your subtle wiles. You're dealing with someone who learned all the tricks of a master manipulator who is now divorced from my life.

This argument is over.

• Members

Boy you guys are crafty - twisting the argument and then labeling me as a close-minded narcissist. You're not that good.

You're dealing with someone who learned all the tricks of a master manipulator who is now divorced from my life.

This argument is over.

See, that's the problem. We aren't using tricks. That's your own argumentative paranoia kicking in. No one is trying to fool you. We aren't some manipulative ex-wife; we really don't give a damn about winning or losing, you don't mean anything to us. I don't care how misguided you stay when you leave this bulletin board.

But I will not have you spreading incorrect or half-true information to the unsuspecting readers here who don't realize much of what you posted is based on long-held, but false, rumors and your own personal subjective taste and misinformation. Readers come here for information and education and to become better consumers and players, I will make sure the facts are set straight for them when I can and try and plug the flow of BS when possible.

I'm better researched than you and my posts are correct and withstand scrutiny. That's why the argument is over.

• Members

Damn. I hadn't seen a post that good in a looooong time! Well stated.:thu:

See, that's the problem. We aren't using tricks. That's your own argumentative paranoia kicking in. No one is trying to fool you. We aren't some manipulative ex-wife; we really don't give a damn about winning or losing, you don't mean anything to us. I don't care how misguided you stay when you leave this bulletin board.

But I will not have you spreading incorrect or half-true information to the unsuspecting readers here who don't realize much of what you posted is based on long-held, but false, rumors and your own personal subjective taste and misinformation. Readers come here for information and education and to become better consumers and players, I will make sure the facts are set straight for them when I can and try and plug the flow of BS when possible.

I'm better researched than you and my posts are correct and withstand scrutiny. That's why the argument is over.

• Members

Drifterman: Let's come at this from a different angle. You said the amp sounds fine with other guitars - that means it's the guitar.

You don't need a new guitar. The paul is a good axe and you said you like the Paul for playability - I think you should try another set of pickups.

If you are willing to try one more set of pickups, try Dimarzio's breed set. They are ultra warm and still clear and articulate with great cleans, crunch and high gain tones and I think those pups would give your paul a bit of a rebirth or transformation and a new lease on life.

Good Luck!

Other notes:
Even if some people don't like the spider, if it sounds fine with other guitars then the fundamental problem here is not the amp. There's nothing wrong with upgrading the amp in the future if you want, but that just doesn't seem like it will solve "the puzzle of the paul"

You should play what you like. Don't get another guitar unless you've really personally given up on this one - don't let us convince you - only do it if you really want to. Personally I wouldn't get a studio because it's likely to be much heavier than your paul - Mine was over 10 lbs - maybe that wouldn't bother you - the studio is a great axe regardless, but I think your paul will be great too.

My 2c

• Members

My understanding is that some type of plasticizer is added to the nitro finish on the production gibbys.

It's to help prevent checking.

But, takes the finish longer to fully cure.

thus feeling sticky longer than older pure nitro finishes.

This, may be what Real MC is feeling compared to the Historics.

Which I believe are pure nitro, or at least a lesser blend.

I remember the LPF talking about this a few times.

Maybe someone can chime in and give a more in depth post on it.

mine does have that ever so slightly sticky finish feel to it...i'm ok with that on the body, but it tends to slow down the neck...a minute with a polish cloth and it's good to go again. i'm figuring with lotsa playing it be less and less of an issue...

• Members

Drifterman: Let's come at this from a different angle. You said the amp sounds fine with other guitars - that means it's the guitar.

You don't need a new guitar. The paul is a good axe and you said you like the Paul for playability - I think you should try another set of pickups.

If you are willing to try one more set of pickups, try Dimarzio's breed set. They are ultra warm and still clear and articulate with great cleans, crunch and high gain tones and I think those pups would give your paul a bit of a rebirth or transformation and a new lease on life.

Good Luck!

Other notes:

Even if some people don't like the spider, if it sounds fine with other guitars then the fundamental problem here is not the amp. There's nothing wrong with upgrading the amp in the future if you want, but that just doesn't seem like it will solve "the puzzle of the paul"

You should play what you like. Don't get another guitar unless you've really personally given up on this one - don't let us convince you - only do it if you really want to. Personally I wouldn't get a studio because it's likely to be much heavier than your paul - Mine was over 10 lbs - maybe that wouldn't bother you - the studio is a great axe regardless, but I think your paul will be great too.

My 2c

It's the amp.

I have a great sounding Les Paul, it sounded great with all these different amps; Fender Hot Rod Deville, Champ 600 & Supersonic, Gibson Goldtone, Peavey Classic 50, Epiphone Valve Jr., a vintage DeArmond, a Matchless clone, and a Komet clone.

It sounded BAD with the line6 spyder. Maybe the amp was broken, I tried to put it on the 'blues' setting, but I couldn't seem to get it off of the 'farty crap' setting with the 'toilet bowl reverb'. The line6 always sounds bad though, it sounded bad when the kid who owned it played it, whether it was with his danelectro lipstick guitar or his stagg les paul - he thought it sounded good, but unfortunately it didn't; it's just a bad amp.

• Members

mine does have that ever so slightly sticky finish feel to it...i'm ok with that on the body, but it tends to slow down the neck...a minute with a polish cloth and it's good to go again. i'm figuring with lotsa playing it be less and less of an issue...

That will go away with time, and eventually will wear in very nicely. How old is yours?

• Members

Well, to test the amp, I would consider taking the guitar to the local guitar store and test driving several other amps (even ones the OP may not be able to afford) and check it out. Likewise, one could take the amp and try it out with other LP's.

• Members

I play thru a Line 6 spyder 2. It sounds great with my other guitars

His amp sounds great to him with his other guitars, but not with his paul.

Driftrman: if you want a new amp, then by all means get one - maybe it will change the sound of your paul to make it sound warmer and more like a les paul. Good luck.

• Members

New Gibsons these days have crap wood. The tone is in the wood, either it's a good resonant wood or it isn't. No amount of experimenting with pickups, FX, or amps will matter if the wood isn't right. I picked up too many LPs with no resonance in the wood, they tend to be very bright and/or very bassy while lacking warm mids.

As the production increased, the stock of decent woods dried up and they had to find other sources, which unfortunately are inferior.

The first thing I do when auditioning a guitar is to play it UNPLUGGED and listen to it acoustically. That tells you a lot about the guitar's tone. If the wood has a good resonance, you will feel the string vibrations through the body and the neck. You will hear the tone and sustain of the strings. I found my custom shop 1960 LP VOS that way, killer playing guitar and that awesome vintage LP tone. The custom shop can be more selective about the wood going into the guitar, thus they are way better than anything coming off the production line.

Finishes make a difference too. The production Gibsons use layers of glossy polyurethane which takes an iron grip on the wood and it can't resonate because it is so stiff. Custom shop guitars use the nitrocelluose finish - same finish used on 1950s Gibsons - which requires more handwork but it allows the wood to breathe and resonate. Nitro finishing is banned from high volume production due to health issues, but a low volume operation like the custom shop can use it.

Talk about parotting internet noise....................................LMAO!!!

Can you be more general in your misinformation?

Archived