Who's got the right to critisize Gibson?

Jkater

• Members

OK - I resemble the following:

And Yeah - I'm jealous, but more than that, since 1980 when I started playing the gear snobs and jerks that all say "if it don't say gibson/Fender it's crap". I was sick of it then and bought an Ibanez and am still sick of it.

The owners?

The frustrated and jalous cheap copies owners who wished they could afford them but can't?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It doesn't matter a whit to me, but I'll venture a few educated guesses:

-The internet parrot crowd...........who have never even touched a Gibson but it's "kewl" to jump on the bandwagon and make yourself sound like you know something.

-The jealous, wannabe owners who seek to justify their "squawk-o-matic" look alikes

-The unfamiliar player who played a Gibson with rusted out strings, a bad setup and a booger infested finish in a guitar shop..............for fifteeen seconds

-The player who sets out with a "Gibson better have something special to prove to me" attitude, and doesn't like them

I could go on, but I digress. If a Gibson isn't your thing, than it just isn't. Nobody (Gibson included) said that they are the be all and end all of guitars. If you don't like them, fine...........................there are plenty of other guitars out there to choose from.

• Members

I don't own a gibson, but if I could afford one I would love them. Thats my own problem.

Yes, I know about the cheaper models, but I don't like them as much as the expensive ones.

Second old thread you brought up, at least that I can see.

Not necessarily bad, but you can always start a new one. ;)

• Members

nobody can honestly say they don't like Gibson unless they've played at least 5 different models for large lengths of time. only then do they have enough experience with the brand to give an honest opinion.

of course, ideally one would have to own a Gibson before truly being able to give his/her opinion, but most people can't afford one. having said that, people who don't like the brand only because they consider the guitars to be over-priced should be completely ignored.

• Members

nobody can honestly say they don't like Gibson unless they've played at least 5 different models for large lengths of time. only then do they have enough experience with the brand to give an honest opinion.

of course, ideally one would have to own a Gibson before
truly
being able to give his/her opinion, but most people can't afford one. having said that, people who don't like the brand
only
because they consider the guitars to be over-priced should be completely ignored.

According to whom??:rolleyes:

• Members

"gibson bashing" is an internet phenomenon. I've NEVER walked into a jam or audition or stage with my Gibson and heard anybody say "wow a gibson .. what an overpriced piece of crap! here, try this Epi (or Agile or ...) it's just as good"

this kind of stuff only happen on the internet where people are behind their computers and grow "virtual balls" all of a sudden

• Members

According to whom??
:rolleyes:

what I mean is that people's opinions should only be taken seriously under those circumstances. obviously, anyone can give their opinion regardless of their experience with the brand, all I'm saying is that if someone has little/no experience with Gibsons, their opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Members

i give my honest opinion on gibson in real life and on the internet, but having owned two of them at least i have some experience with the beasts. i mirror what many have said already, QC should be better for the pricetag, there are some great ones out there, and i myself am still looking for the real thing again.

i guess that while i point out their flaws, its important to realize that every company makes at least a few mistakes, and that you can still go out and find a good gibson without hard effort.

• Members

Odd..I admit to being new here, but do the moderators often delete threads without explanation?

I didn't realize the OP's had the ability to delete their own threads. That kind of sucks.

Yes, the moderators delete threads without explanation quite often....especially here in HCEG forum. EG is supposed to be strictly on topic. But, even with on topic threads, it's completely within the moderators discretion to move or delete any thread as they see fit. For that matter, it's within the moderators discretion to ban or not ban someone as well.

Although it's within a poster's power to delete their own posts, I don't believe that a poster can delete an entire thread even if they start it. Of course, I might be wrong on this point...I've been wrong before. :wave:

• Members

The owners?

The would-be buyers who are ready to afford them?

Owners of quality alternatives (good copies) who could afford a Gibson?

The frustrated and jalous cheap copies owners who wished they could afford them but can't?

Anybody (given the right of free speech)?

Any thoughts?

If you've owned one, played one, even held one...IMO, you have the right to say whatever you want about them...

• Members

Wow. I started this thread like two and a half years ago. It was motivated then by my observation that a lot of Gibson bashers are (to put it bluntly) people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. Now, critisizing Gibson is not wrong but it's good to know that those who do have an honest approach and can recognise that, beside the ones that should have been made with a little more love or at least some pride, there are great ones that are even worth the money they're asking for.

• Members

I dont treat Gibson any differently to how I do anything really.

If I'm after something, I try and make sure I get a good one.

A good Gibson is GREAT!

So I buy good ones.

but to answer your post, I think anybody has a right to criticise Gibson, but IMO a lot of the "Criticisms" I read seem ill informed, and applicable to a lot of other companies.

:thu:

• Members

Any player in the market who is or has been trying out different makes/models has a right to. Especially nowdays,when there are so many to choose from.

And even more so lately,when a lot of import makes are getting better on some models.

Ive owned Gibsons in the past,some I loved others were junk-all were late 70's early 80's models though. If I found one again from this period that was in good shape,played well and sounded good enough, Id consider it.

But recent ones? If by some chance I were seeking one,and managed to somehow find one that was up it's name and standards,maybe.But I havent seen such an instrument in at least 10 years or so.

When a name brand maker-especially a predominant one-takes a peanut-filled {censored} on quality control practices,then still has the balls to ask the prices they ask for them though,no I cant see spending the money on it. Id rather buy 6 well-made korean copies or knock offs,than a single half-assed shadow of a real one,just because it has a certain name on a headstock.

And that applies to any of em-be it Gibson,Fender,BC Rich or whoever.

But then I dont base my guitar-playing or buying decisions on what name is on the headstock,or for an investment.I buy the ones that play,sound and look like what I'm after at a given time. I dont buy them to impress some cork-sniffing brand-whore -in -denial,and I give a rats ass what anyone else thinks of them-Im the one playing them.

• Members

I dont treat Gibson any differently to how I do anything really.

If I'm after something, I try and make sure I get a good one.

A good Gibson is GREAT!

So I buy good ones.

but to answer your post, I think anybody has a right to criticise Gibson, but IMO a lot of the "Criticisms" I read seem ill informed, and applicable to a lot of other companies.

:thu:

Please note that Metalhead says that he tries to make sure he get's a good one, that's the trick but he's an experienced guy and he knows what to look for as do I. There are a lot of people out there who haven't been playing long enough to know what to look for and get stiffed with bad guitars, it will always be like this.

Gibson make great guitars, average guitars and bad guitars. It has always been like that and it always will be. It's the same with Fender. There will always be guitars with the bridge fitted out of position or frets in the wrong place on the fingerboard. New Gibsons are never properly set up because they try to leave room for any player to set his guitar up to his personal preferences.

If you buy on line you will be in trouble straight away with set up problems.The trick is to know what to look for or take someone experienced with you when you are buying a Gibson or any other guitar come to that. This is how to avoid problems.

• Members

I don't know, I can't speak in the negative about Gibson. Though I am a Fender man. I have owned and still own a few Gibsons. And I have played many that I felt were exceptional guitars.

If the 2-3G you are spending is going to give you your #1 or a guitar you are going to use? I think its money well spent. You can look for used and buy a 59RI for that kind of cash. You can also play Gibson's Faded line which are a considerable bang for the buck? IF you want to stay under 1G?

Gibsons are no different than any other US Production line guitar. You may have to play a few, to find the one that is QC'd right and sounds/feels correct.

I feel their Custom Shop is much more consistant but an issue their is not uncommon either?

I like many others on this forum played for a considerable period of time before I was able to justify spending the kind of cash it costs for a good Gibson. Did I think it was worth it? I don't believe you should have to pay 2-3G for any guitar. But this is a reality today. A good Tokai is running 1G now? So thats the price of admission we are talking here.

Honestly it burns me up a whole lot more to buy a Tele for $1500-$2000. Thats a Slab body probly 2-piece with a Bolt-On neck? Now there's a guitar that I have a seriously had time justifying. Because I see and know just what the cost to build one is, and just how easy they are to build. Little different with a LP or a 335?

• Members

I have to ask as I am extremely curious, what are these manufacturing defects people keep mentioning? Are we talking about issues that can be corrected with a proper setup, or defects that require major surgery? I'm a Fender single coil type of guy, I am not defending or bashing Gibson. I'm just curious.

Over Thanksgiving, I bought my first Les Paul type guitar. It was an EPI Standard Plus. The reason I didn't go with Gibson is that I cannot justify the $$$ for a guitar that won't be played as much as my beloved strats. I am comfortable and happy with my choice.

Archived