Who's got the right to critisize Gibson?

Jkater

• Members

The owners?

The would-be buyers who are ready to afford them?

Owners of quality alternatives (good copies) who could afford a Gibson?

The frustrated and jalous cheap copies owners who wished they could afford them but can't?

Anybody (given the right of free speech)?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Jkater

Any thoughts?

I'd say that the owners are biased, and that the "Gibson truth" can only come from the frustrated and jealous copy owners and others who can't afford them.

I place a great deal of weight on the opinions of the latter.

• Members

I don't own one currently and I can afford to buy them but I personally don't feel they are worth the asking price. I can get a guitar that satisfies me with a cheaper instrument and some tinkering (and I love tinkering). I may pick up a used SG at some point because I just love SG's but I won't buy a new one.

• Members

The owners?

The would-be buyers who are ready to afford them?

The frustrated and jalous cheap copies owners who wished they could afford them but can't?

Anybody (given the right of free speech)?

Any thoughts?

Well, I'd take your question a bit further, and add "and expect their ciricism to be taken seriously?"......EVERYONE has the "right" to say what they want without fear, as long as no laws are broken, or rights denied......and quite frankly, we see an awful lot of that here (not just on Gibsons, either). But speaking for me, I take EVERY opinion I see here or anywhere else with a grain of salt. But I give much more credence to those opinions are based more in fact, in other words, people that have some extensive experience with Gibson guitars....

:)

• Members

Anybody has the "right" to criticize or spout an opinion on anything.

You (and I), however, also have the right to decide your own criteria for considering or ignoring those opinions and criticisms.

If somebody wants to talk out of their ass and criticize something without having personal experience or knowing what they are talking about, I won't try to stop them... but I won't pay any attention to them either.

Edit... Nice goin' geddins81. Same point, but a litter quicker on the draw!

• Members

Anyone, preferably with first hand experiences. My first hand experience would be that I've still yet to see a production line Gibson that would meet my demands. The Custom Shop stuff does, but at those prices it should. And at the prices the production line stuff goes over here so should they..but alas that doesn't seem to be happening.

Thankfully there are other manufacturers who can supply me with Les Pauls done right, at more reasonable prices to boot. :)

• Members

This reminds me that not all copies are cheap and not all copy owners are unhappy with their choice or unable necessarily to afford them (the Gibsons). So I edited my first post a bit to add this group.

• Members

Let's see....I've owned a bunch of Gibsons. I grew up playing a Gibson. The worst experience I ever had with a guitar was with a Gibson. I'd say that gives me the right to critisize Gibson and they'll never get another dime of my money.

• Members

Originally posted by Jim_Soloway

Let's see....I've owned a bunch of Gibsons. I grew up playing a Gibson. The worst experience I ever had with a guitar was with a Gibson. I'd say that gives me the right to critisize Gibson and they'll never get another dime of my money.

Case in point...

This guy has credibility.

• Members

There is a ton of ignorance that seems to seep out when this topic is discussed. If you are a hardcore Gibson basher(the ones who say Gibson makes no good guitars), you are just too lazy to get outside and try until you find a really good one. If you praise Gibson like they are the greatest guitars in the world, you are either 2 things.

1.In denial

2. Stupid

Gibsons arent amazing guitars, as a whole, and the company alone is enough to make me want to never own a Gibson. If you like getting {censored}ed up the ass by a corporation who could give a {censored} less about musicians or putting passion into their work, then by all means buy a Gibson.

On the other hand, I have played some really incredible Gibson guitars in the last month.

i am seriously convinced that the majority of Gibson owners buy soley because of the name on the headstock. There is NO reason in my mind to blow 2500 bucks on a guitar like that when you can go to a luthier and get one built to your exact specs. It makes no sense to me.

• Members

This reminds me that not all copies are cheap and not all copy owners are unhappy with their choice or unable necessarily to afford them (the Gibsons). So I edited my first post a bit to add this group.

Indeed, ESP-made Navigator's are pricier than a lot of Gibson historics.

• Members

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

There is a ton of ignorance that seems to seep out when this topic is discussed. If you are a hardcore Gibson basher(the ones who say Gibson makes no good guitars), you are just too lazy to get outside and try until you find a really good one. If you praise Gibson like they are the greatest guitars in the world, you are either 2 things.

1.In denial

2. Stupid

Gibsons arent amazing guitars, as a whole, and the company alone is enough to make me want to never own a Gibson. If you like getting {censored}ed up the ass by a corporation who could give a {censored} less about musicians or putting passion into their work, then by all means buy a Gibson.

On the other hand, I have played some really incredible Gibson guitars in the last month.

i am seriously convinced that the majority of Gibson owners buy soley because of the name on the headstock. There is NO reason in my mind to blow 2500 bucks on a guitar like that when you can go to a luthier and get one built to your exact specs. It makes no sense to me.

what's up with the hostillity there killer?:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

um, who cares:confused:

You mean no one does? Gibson bashing happens a lot on this forum. Agiles vs Gibson threads get posts in the hundreds and much (but not all) of this talk is done by and between people who know little of what the hell they're talking about. And I must admit that I have myself made statements about Gibson that I realised later were based on a somewhat limited hands-on experience with Gibsons. I have owned three electric and one acoustic Gibson guitars and played a number of them in stores. I dare say that some of my criticism was based on those observations and was, at least, partly deserved. The Les Paul I happen to own presently is a lemon from which I'm trying to make a good lemonade, that is, I'm gonna fix it so I can enjoy its excellent qualities and improve on what should have been made right in the first place by the Gibson company.

But, quite obviously, I have not tried enough to be able to form a completely valid (or useful to others) opinion. Gibson owners on this forum have given me a more complete picture by sharing with us their quite different experience with Gibson guitars. They are the lucky ones because a good Gibson is a heck of a good guitar.

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

+1 It's a ridiculous question. Worst thread ever. (today anyway....)

How would you have formulated this question?

• Members

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

ha. Im not hostile. Sorry for coming off that way.

lol...I just pictured ya behind a keyboard with the anger vein about to burst out of your forehead typing that previous post. :D

Archived