what's my 96 MIM Strat worth?

Kramerguy

• Members

I brought my strat to work today for a lunch trip to Sam Ash, hoping to trade it in. My problem is that I don't really know what offer is reasonable for it, be it $50 or $150 *shrug* It's a standard strat model, 3 single coils, light-blue w/ white pickguard. In decent working order, no fretwear, well polished fretboard, and no dings or other visual damage.

I think I paid in the area of $450 for it in 96, new.

• Members

I was just looking for a ballpark of where to start negotiating. I don't want to sell it on ebay or craigs becuase it does have a few minor issues, like the pickup noise of single coils (seems excessive on this guitar), and possibly needs new tremolo springs; and frankly, we musicians are a bitchy folk and I don't want to take {censored} from anyone about it. I'd accept ~100 for it from S.A. if they go that high. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't walking in there with an unrealistic expectation.

Thanks guys-

• Members

Post some good pics of it on this forum, maybe someone here will make you an offer.

I was just looking for a ballpark of where to start negotiating. I don't want to sell it on ebay or craigs becuase it does have a few minor issues, like the pickup noise of single coils (seems excessive on this guitar), and possibly needs new tremolo springs; and frankly, we musicians are a bitchy folk and I don't want to take {censored} from anyone about it. I'd accept ~100 for it from S.A. if they go that high. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't walking in there with an unrealistic expectation.

Thanks guys-

• Members

I think if it's in as nice a condition as you describe, it's worth $200 to $250 and that seems very much in like with what others have said.

There's no way I'd sell it for $100. You could sell just the neck for that much on eBay. At minimum, part it out neck, body and loaded pickguard and I guarantee you'll get $200 out of it minimum. I think you'd probably get $125 for the neck, $75 for the body and whatever the pickguard goes for, is just gravy.

As for the noise in the pickups... single coils can be noisy. If it doesn't make any unexpected clunking noises or anything like that, I'd say they are just standard single coils.

• Members

I brought my strat to work today for a lunch trip to Sam Ash, hoping to trade it in. My problem is that I don't really know what offer is reasonable for it, be it $50 or $150 *shrug* It's a standard strat model, 3 single coils, light-blue w/ white pickguard. In decent working order, no fretwear, well polished fretboard, and no dings or other visual damage.

I think I paid in the area of $450 for it in 96, new.

Is it a MIM Standard? If so, you got ripped for for $450. I paid $285 for my black MIM Standard in '95 and that was going price back then. They're still not selling for $450.

If it's not a Standard, then what model is it? Do you have pics?

• Members

... because it does have a few minor issues, like the pickup noise of single coils (seems excessive on this guitar), and possibly needs new tremolo springs...

So it may need to be shielded and have the springs replaced. That's $20 tops and a little time and effort.

PM me a few pics and maybe I'll buy it from you as a modding platform. Seriously.

• Members

So it may need to be shielded and have the springs replaced. That's $20 tops and a little time and effort.

PM me a few pics and maybe I'll buy it from you as a modding platform. Seriously.

Why would a guitar need new trem springs? I've never seen trem springs have issues unless somebody damages them.:confused:

• Members

Why would a guitar need new trem springs? I've never seen trem springs have issues unless somebody damages them.
:confused:

I was doing alot of adjustments on the action/tremolo and think I pulled and replaced the spring positions one too many times. It might just be my imagination, but seems like they arent as tight as they used to be

anyways, here's the pics - was able to get 2 to upload, 3rd one just keeps bombing on the upload.

[ATTACH]253431[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]253432[/ATTACH]

• Members

Dude... That's a Standard. Are you sure you paid $450 for that new? They're $399.99 now and they've only gone up in price over the past decade.

Where did you buy it? I ask because you're an Eagles fan, so you must be in Pennsyltucky or NJ.

I bought it a George's music in Springfield in the summer of 1996. I was younger and far dumber. It was list price and no sales. I don't remember exactly, but I paid either 399 or 450, I had bought an amp and some other stuff at same time, so it's all kind of fuzzy, not to mention I smoked way too much pot back then lol.

• Members

I bought it a George's music in Springfield in the summer of 1996. I was younger and far dumber. It was list price and no sales. I don't remember exactly, but I paid either 399 or 450, I had bought an amp and some other stuff at same time, so it's all kind of fuzzy, not to mention I smoked way too much pot back then lol.

So anyways, if someone here seriously wants it, I'm open to local offers, but if not, I will take the $100 to $125 SA would dump on me I reckon.

edit: oh and yes, I work In KoP, live near reading.

Wow... List price... George's you say? I should go there and fart proudly, as Ben Franklin would say. Fender's MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) has always been 30% off list and that's just so the big box stores won't sell for below that and kill the small guys. Most smaller stores sell for 30 points (take cost and divide it by .7). This guy made 50 points. What a douche.

I'd take it if I had any money. My fiance loves blue and would forgive me for buying a blue guitar. LOL

In all seriousness, if nobody here buys it, list it for $250 on www.craigslist.org . Just make sure you properly select your region.

• Members

In all seriousness, if nobody here buys it, list it for $250 on
www.craigslist.org
. Just make sure you properly select your region.

Well that was my point, to list ir, sell it, pack it, ship it, and the time involved for a $50-100 difference just isn't worth the effort it seems. Add that to the $20 worth of maintenance it needs and if I get the wrong buyer, it turns into a major headache and possible return.

I really only wanted to just trade it and be done with it, without getting totally ripped off ( like if they offered me 25-50 bucks or something).. but since yz250f49 suggested I upload some pics and suggested trying to sell it to someone here, I figured I'd give it until lunchtime, if someone wants it, $150 and it's yours. If not, Sam Ash will get it :) It's all good either way.

• Members

Well that was my point, to list ir, sell it, pack it, ship it, and the time involved for a $50-100 difference just isn't worth the effort it seems. Add that to the $20 worth of maintenance it needs and if I get the wrong buyer, it turns into a major headache and possible return.

I really only wanted to just trade it and be done with it, without getting totally ripped off ( like if they offered me 25-50 bucks or something).. but since yz250f49 suggested I upload some pics and suggested trying to sell it to someone here, I figured I'd give it until lunchtime, if someone wants it, $150 and it's yours. If not, Sam Ash will get it
:)
It's all good either way.

Craigslist is regional. You can specify that the buyer would have to pick it up. I've sold a truck and an Epi Les Paul on Craigslist and I didn't have to do anything but meet the buyer.

It's really a matter of $100 or more. sCam Cash and Guitar Center will rape you on it.

Archived