Anyone Got Predictions for 2007?

Anderton

• Members
Originally posted by meccajay

Deanmass, um, has god spoken to you? Ugh, um, how will I die?

IDK...maybe..:)..I am pretty much an Agnostic Theist, so who knows whom/what is speaking through or to me. This reality is probably just Sims 2901, Music Geeks Expansion Series..

:)

All good fun, but, my Aunt, had a psychic channel on local cable for 13 years, covered numerology, horoscopes, etc. Maybe some trickled to me..Right now, I would not tell you what I am gonna eat for lunch, so take it all witha big grain of NaCl..

As for you, peacefully, wih music playing and a smooth fadeout....And far from now..:)

• Members

1) President Bush will be lost in a crash of Marine One Helicopter on the White House lawn

2) Vice President Cheney will be shot by a Quail Hunting lawyer and will end up in a vegetative state (Ohio)

3) Nancy Pelosi will become President and Robert KKK Byrd will become Vice President.

4) I will scream at the top of my lungs and move to Canada

:wave::D

1. There will be an industry-wide backlash against hyper-compressed mastering on music CD's.

2. Artists will start taking more responsibility for the quality of their own performances and start relying less on producers and engineers to "fix things" for them.

3. Likewise, songwriters will start to wake up and improve the quality of their material. The song will once again become "king".

4. Someone will finally figure out how to really get the sound of a 2" 16 track analog deck out of a DAW with very little muss and fuss - including head bumps, tape hiss, generation loss, and loss of high frequencies over time and with repeated playbacks... the product will be a huge hit.

5. Moore's Law will remain in full effect.

6. Sometime late in 2007, someone will post a New Year's resolution thread, and someone will post a 2008 predictions thread on SSS.

7. Craig and Bruce will produce a duet album with nothing but "found flatulence", and entitle it "You're A Gasser" ;)

8. I'll finally produce that big breakout hit album I've always wanted to work on... and I'll still continue to be my modest, humble self. :o But the album will be new age polka salsa, and start a whole new fad, and I'll find myself typecast and labeled as a "new age polka salsa producer" and won't be able to ever find work doing anything else for the rest of my life... :cry:;) But the NAPS (new age polka salsa) album will deeply touch a lot of people, so at least one of my lifelong dreams will be realized.

I suck at predictions. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Lee Knight

I will ride the wave of Podcasting. Sorry saps everywhere will come to realize that recording their silly thoughts and ramblings is just way too complicated and will contract me to do it for them. Halfway through the year the money flow will be so heavy I'll hire 2 employees to do the actual recording so I won't have to listen to the recorded, vacant rants and raves of my beloved client base. I'll spend my days making trips to the bank instead...

I will get very fat.

Women will love me.

I will remain true to my dear wife though and buy diamonds 'n stuff.

I'll add all the premium channels to my cable service!

:thu:

I'll send you a resume. I like it when my boss knows how to party. :cool:-~

• Members

(coming from another thread....) Yeah, the cd is passe.

MY BIG PREDICTION FOR 2007:

At my next solo gig I'm not selling just a cd.

I'm selling a cd AND a 5.1 DVD.

It's a bit harder to download a DVD, and you'll be able to download my music just the same. I can still sell both in a two-disc package for $10 and still make a good profit. Everyone has a DVD player, and a lot of people have at least one of those Korean $100 5.1 speaker setups.

I don't think it'll take much; YouTube/Video.Google are pre-loading the masses for it. I predict in my town, by 2008 every band will have a 5.1 DVD to sell. By 2009, trying to sell a cd at a gig will be like trying to sell a cassette tape now. Not only will nobody care, you'll be thought of as being curiously out dated.

It will (hopefully) also favor the visually creative. It amazes me that bands don't already by default have "something" to show on YouTube.

I hate I'm not as ready to do this as I would like by now, thanks to trying to make ends meet, but - just as nobody cares about MP3's being "lossy", people also don't care that non-DVD-A audio isn't "better than CD". I'm looking forward to somehow getting my present solo project into a 5.1 format, and integrating video with it; it seems very natural to me, and the future.

"Hey, thanks, that is on my 5.1 DVD you can buy from me after the show". I think that's going to be the Big Deal for most of us by 2008. I *thought* that where the music industry was headed about 4 years ago - but they're apparently even more moronic than I thought. If I was on a major label I'd be totally focused on the *DVD* I'm about to release, and the CD would just be the after thought thrown in for people to stick on their IPods and in their cars...

/ it's that, or Guitar Hero 3 will brainwash every non-musician into thinking *they* are musicians....
// miss Cleo took one of my kidneys for that one

• Members
Originally posted by blue2blue

...what's wrong with today's kids?

Oppression, man. Cultural oppression. Supression of individual expression. Programing. All the young people I know that are typical (not vintage counter-culture subversives, like myself ;)-~), look like zombies when they stare at this mindless drivel of programming they call television.

Kids today don't even know how to live, man. I'm growing afraid that my generation (born in the spring of '69 when culture was reaching it's apex) is the last that will have experienced real freedom, real youth and innocence, a real life. The decades of propoganda appear to have taken their toll. The fear is winning. People are scared. I think about how my children (2 and 4) will not be able to experience the same level of freedom that I did.

-The predators are out in full force, no doubt a product of the perverse and depraved media.

-The schools are prisons. They even look the same. And tell me what freedom does the youth have? They have no freedom. They are nothing more than property. Slaves of a system that they have no representation in. And they have
no choice but to follow or be cast out. I chose banishment, but it's not as easy to make that choice anymore.

-Kids are scared to have real fun. They're afraid they'll get in trouble. Back in the day, the cops made you pour out your beer. Then they either took your weed, or made you dump it out, too. And then they told you to get your ass home. Don't let me see you out again type deal. If you were real hammered, they would follow your ass home and make sure you made it ok. Today, they throw your ass in jail and start taking your urine. Not that they didn't already take it at school.

My buddy thinks that they need to hand out pot in public schools. :eek: She says that back in the day, anybody could get some grass. It wasn't that big a deal.
Most kids parents partied and nobody but the government seemed to care. And she thinks that's why you didn't see kids all hopped up on prozack going in and shooting up a bunch of classmates because you didn't fit in or whatever.
I think my buddy is a little extreme, but you can't help but see her point.

Kids have been "institutionalized".

They have us trapped in a world of responsibilities, worry, and fear. A completely manufactured existence that ultimately serves no function. The need for human progress does not excuse the bizarre state we have reached as a society.

They put all these kids in a box and most of them don't even try to get out. :confused:-~

• Members
Originally posted by chipmcdonald

(coming from another thread....) Yeah, the cd is passe.

MY BIG PREDICTION FOR 2007:

At my next solo gig I'm not selling just a cd.

I'm selling a cd AND a 5.1 DVD.

I can see that. Maybe you should just give away the CD's?
Or sell them cheap, like $5.

I think CD's should be disposable. They should have a display on every gas station/convenience store counter with all the top twenty CD's, for $5. Also a selection of older titles for $2.99.

Artist still gets the same cut. The distro and the labels take the loss, which ultimately won't be a loss because the volume sales will result in an increase in profit.

Wal-Mart needs to lose this stupid and obsurd policy of not carrying "mature" music titles. I can get San Andreas and waste hours killing innocent people while committing mad crimes; this while also having my TV playing a Quentin Tarantino flick. But, I can't buy the new Slayer. :confused:-~

Who came up with this policy that makes no sense? :mad:

I live in a small town where you have to go to Wal-Mart. And considering they are probably the biggest retailer of CD's, they need to get with the program.
I gotta get groceries and such there and I'll go through the music section and browse, but I'm not buying an edited CD.
Forget it. I want my money's worth.

And the whole industry needs to follow that pricing system.
New avenues of distribution. They've been trying to save the music store for ages and it's over. I hate to see it go. I'll miss the fun of making the trip and rocking some jams on the way back. But, I've got Amazon now and she loves me.

Still, if the record comapnies would get smart and hire me to get the {censored} fixed, I would start using gas stations as my number one target for point of sale.
This combined with a new fair price point will skyrocket sales.

What is the breakdown on the price of a CD?

How much is production costs? Production/engineering/etc,
manufacturing.

How much is the artist's cut?

How much does distribution get?

Retail?

Why are they still charging something that is rumored to only cost a few cents to make? Sure, when you add in the cost of making the album it goes up.

But how on earth can they justify $18.99! :mad:

All this talk about disrepcting the artists with the anti-piracy propoganda and the real pirates are the labels and the distros, from what I can tell. If a band is only seeing a dollar of the sale of a CD, then who is getting the rest?

I feel bad that I have gathered so much enjoyment and insight from artists I've probably only given $50 all total in album purchases. I get a lifetime of listening enjoyment from The Stranger and Billy Joel only got like $3 from me.
WTF? :eek:-~

If you're gonna charge $18.99, at least see to it that the artist gets the bigger cut.

:rolleyes:-~

CD's are cheap. Sell them like junk at gas stations for $5.
Get it in the public mind that CD's are so cheap you can just trash them and buy more! They'll sell billions of them and make billions, too. AC/DC Back In Black for $2 in every gas station will save the music industry.

The car is probably the main listening spot for most consumers.

Archived