yamaha sg article...

seifukusha

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by RockNote

I have wondered if my most recent experience had to do with the neck having too little relief. But I rather doubt it, since it looks perfect, plus, as I say, it is not an issue on a clean amp setting. I am quite baffled as to what this is about, and would appreciate your input.

As I'm sure you know, changing the whole tuning from E to Eb would have quite an effect on the trussrod adjustment. It seems that you have found what the SA can and can not do : it does not perform soundwise to extremely high gain and distortion. No guitar is made to do everything and I am not surprised that the SA (or any semi for that matter) does not match your Kramer for this purpose. I play clean or with just a bit of crunch and my SA fits the bill perfectly. For the rare occasion when I crank it up, I use either my Les Paul or my LAG Louisiane. The Les Paul sounds also awesome when played clean. The reason I favor the SA2200 is because the playability is twice as good as that of the LP.

• Members
Originally posted by Jkater

As I'm sure you know, changing the whole tuning from E to Eb would have quite an effect on the trussrod adjustment. It seems that you have found what the SA can and can not do : it does not perform soundwise to extremely high gain and distortion. No guitar is made to do everything and I am not surprised that the SA (or any semi for that matter) does not match your Kramer for this purpose. I play clean or with just a bit of crunch and my SA fits the bill perfectly. For the rare occasion when I crank it up, I use either my Les Paul or my LAG Louisiane. The Les Paul sounds also awesome when played clean. The reason I favor the SA2200 is because the playability is twice as good as that of the LP.

Thanks for your comment, JKater. Well, I never really tuned to standard tuning, other than for the sake of the experiment. I have adjusted the trussrod to fit the Eb tuning. The thing I mention is no real problem to me. I love the SA's tone and the fact that it doesn't have a whammy, which makes alternate tunings easily possible. I tend to keep it in Eb, but go to open G or open Gb when playing slide, just as I sometimes tune down to Db. It works very well indeed with my vintage MXR Phase 100 on the most subtle setting. I have tried 9-42, but 10-46 is so much better for this guitar. My Kramer, to my ear, doesn't like either 10s or Eb, so I enjoy the many ways in which the SA is totally different animal - with all its quirks! :)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I occasionally see an SG2000 or and SGB2000 out on ebay. I tried one out when I bought my SA2000. They were beautiful for sure and heavy as a brick. There's one on ebay right now that looks pretty rough. But if you look you'll see a nice one every few months. Sometimes they are in pretty good shape.

Again this ones been through the ringer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Yamaha-SBG2000-Electric-Guitar-SG2000-SBG-2000-NR_W0QQitemZ270019398278QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Originally posted by doveman

I occasionally see an SG2000 or and SGB2000 out on ebay. I tried one out when I bought my SA2000. They were beautiful for sure and heavy as a brick. There's one on ebay right now that looks pretty rough. But if you look you'll see a nice one every few months. Sometimes they are in pretty good shape.

Again this ones been through the ringer.

Yeah, the hardware looks as if acid had been dripping from the player's hands... Well, I am particular to new gear, because I tend to cling on to it forver (apart from the Boss pedals I have bought of late by mistake).

About the SG2000 being heavy, yes, that's what everybody says, but it should be only 4.4 kg, and I've measured my SA2200 at around 3.7 kg or 3.8 kg, which is an appropriate and comfortable weight. Another 600 grammes, how bad can it be?

Finally, what's your view of the quality of the current SG2000 reissues in relation to the originals? This is very imprtant to me, as I have placed what they call a pre-order for one. They were unable to give me a price quote, so needless to say I am not obliged to buy.

• Members

Finally, what's your view of the quality of the current SG2000 reissues in relation to the originals? This is very imprtant to me, as I have placed what they call a pre-order for one. They were unable to give me a price quote, so needless to say I am not obliged to buy.

Do you have access to informations regarding the type of built (material used, neck-through vs set neck, etc.)? I tried a newer SG700 the other day and it certainly is not an SG2000. I wasn't aware that one can buy a new "real" SG2000.

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

Do you have access to informations regarding the type of built (material used, neck-through vs set neck, etc.)? I tried a newer SG700 the other day and it certainly is not an SG2000. I wasn't aware that one can buy a new "real" SG2000.

Hi JKater. Well, there is no easy answer to this, since I have learnt about the SG2000 on the Internet, most notably in this forum, and from the Yamaha web sites. Before ordering the SA2200, I could see that there was some confusion on the Internet as to how it was built. Some sources said the neck was maple/mahogany; others had it at one-piece mahogany. I therefore called up Yamaha US and asked if there were two versions available. They said: no, the SA2200 is one thing, and there is no variation possible. I apply this line of thinking to my order for a new SG2000. From the various Internet sources, I know that an SG2000 is neck-thru, sustain-block, etc., so I assume that is what I have ordered. What concerns me is not the specs - I trust they are as they should be - but the price. If I get it or not will depend on the price.

• Members

I have played a new SG2000 and it's done almost exactly like the originals. The SG2000 has a pretty unusual construction. Neckthru with mahogany-maple-mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, mahogany body with two wings and two smaller slices of mahogany by the neck for the correct width plus the mahogany body is a "pancake" body, two piece plain maple top (old ones had a 3 piece top). I'm not sure why they chose that kind of construction method but it certainly sounds good.

The new SG2000 I tried was, as expected from Yamaha, flawlessly built. The Yamaha tune-o-matic is THE best TOM available IMO. It's far more stable, accurate and robust than what you see on most guitars with TOM type bridges. The new SG2000 has the sustain plate as well.

There's also a SG3000, which is like the SG2000 but a bit fancier and with solid color finishes.

The new SG2000 can be found in Europe but a SG3000 you propably have to order from Japan. Ishibashi sells 'em.

• Members

I own a nearly 30 year old SA-1200S and comparing the newer SA-2200 is definitely not worse, just different. The old SG2000/3000 models I've tried have all been nice and the reissues are as good IMO.

SGs are damn heavy though. While I used to have a Dean doubleneck that was a whopping 7 kilos and compared to that the Yamaha SGs are light, but I have a 4.5 kg LP copy and I've decided that I don't want to have any more heavy guitars. Some of the SGs I've tried have been more than that I'd say. The new SG2000 I tried was propably about 4.5 kilos.

• Members
Originally posted by LaXu

I own a nearly 30 year old SA-1200S and comparing the newer SA-2200 is definitely not worse, just different. The old SG2000/3000 models I've tried have all been nice and the reissues are as good IMO.

I am dying of GAS here! "As good" and "just different" - enough with the sweet talking already! :)

• Members
Originally posted by ZenFly

Ok here are a couple of pics of my SG2000:

SGfull.jpg

All those pics are so rock n roll! :thu: I like how the case is designed with added protection on the inside at the top and bottom. What's the purpose of this grey or black thing you have put inside the case towards the top of the body, where the neck begins?

• Members

Ok here are a couple of pics of my SG2000:

Full

SGfull.jpg

Neck

SGneck1.jpg

controls

SGfront4.jpg

30 years old with Lots of miles...Still a great and very heavy guitar!

Yup they are Seymore Duncans a '59 in the neck and a Super distortion in the bridge...2 taps a phase switch and a broken stereo/mono (I had it wired stereo for a few years).

That's what I would call a player's guitar!!!

• Members

All those pics are so rock n roll!
:thu:
I like how the case is designed with added protection on the inside at the top and bottom. What's the purpose of this grey or black thing you have put inside the case towards the top of the body, where the neck begins?

Ahh yes the grey and black thing..its a very well padded bass guitar strap about 4 1/2 " wide. It's purpose is to keep me out of the chiropracters office!

• Members

Ahh yes the grey and black thing..its a very well padded bass guitar strap about 4 1/2 " wide. It's purpose is to keep me out of the chiropracters office!

I am starting to believe what you all say, that it weighs a ton. ZenFly, have you had problems with the screws for the strap bottons coming loose due to the heavy weight, or some other weight-related issue one might overlook?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I know there haven't been many replies on this thread in a while, so I figured I'd get it started again. I have a 6 Yamaha SG collection:

1 - SBG1996 30th Anniversary #79 of 120 (NearMint)
2 - SG 2004 30th Anniversary (Carlos Santana models) Amber Quilt Top from Santana's personal collection (NearMint) only 20 made
3 - SG-2000 Cherry Sunburst 1984 (Very Good+ 'slight fogging on rear")
4 - SBG-2000 Tobacco Sunburst 1993 (VeryGood+ )
5 - SBG - 3000 Cream 1983 (Very Good 'top and neck are clean)
6 - SBG-3000 Black sprinkle 1984 (NearMint)

I will be posting pictures later. My favorite is still the 2000 for playing, even though the others are all great as well.

Archived