yamaha sg article...

seifukusha

• Members

I know there haven't been many replies on this thread in a while, so I figured I'd get it started again. I have a 6 Yamaha SG collection:

1 - SBG1996 30th Anniversary #79 of 120 (NearMint)

2 - SG 2004 30th Anniversary (Carlos Santana models) Amber Quilt Top from Santana's personal collection (NearMint) only 20 made

3 - SG-2000 Cherry Sunburst 1984 (Very Good+ 'slight fogging on rear")

4 - SBG-2000 Tobacco Sunburst 1993 (VeryGood+ )

5 - SBG - 3000 Cream 1983 (Very Good 'top and neck are clean)

6 - SBG-3000 Black sprinkle 1984 (NearMint)

I will be posting pictures later. My favorite is still the 2000 for playing, even though the others are all great as well.

1 - :eek:

2 - :eek:

3 - :eek:

4 - :eek:

5 - :eek:

6 - :eek:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know there haven't been many replies on this thread in a while, so I figured I'd get it started again. I have a 6 Yamaha SG collection:

2 - SG 2004 30th Anniversary (Carlos Santana models) Amber Quilt Top from Santana's personal collection (NearMint) only 20 made

I will be posting pictures later. My favorite is still the 2000 for playing, even though the others are all great as well.

sweet! sell me one!!!

• Members

What I find a little confusing is the 1996 30th anniversary and the 2004 30th anniversary. Would you explain?

The SBG-1996 is the 30th anniversary of the 1966 model. The SG-2004 is the 30th anniversary of the 1974 Carlos Santana SGs. There are 120 of the 1996 guitars, but only 20 of the Quilt Top amber 2004s.

• Members

The SBG-1996 is the 30th anniversary of the 1966 model. The SG-2004 is the 30th anniversary of the 1974 Carlos Santana SGs. There are 120 of the 1996 guitars, but only 20 of the Quilt Top amber 2004s.

That sure makes sense!

And if you get around making pics and posting them, you'll make us very happy. Does the Santana one have a bouddah inlay?

• Members

That sure makes sense!

And if you get around making pics and posting them, you'll make us very happy. Does the Santana one have a bouddah inlay?

Nope, it is just an Amber Quilt Top with abalone binding that came from his personal collection. I am still looking for a SG175B, but I think my luck with the hard to find ones might have ran out.

• Members

Thanks for reviving this. I'm a big Yammy SG fan and I'll have to read through all the posts on this thread later tonight.

That's quite a collection there. I would love to get a black SG2000 but it's out of my reach financially.

Instead, I console myself with this one. It's my take it to grave guitar.

CIMG0974.jpg

I absolutely stole it on craigslist! :thu:

• Members

Can't wait for them pics!! #3 sounds just like mine!

• Members

yamaha4.jpg

Here are four of them!!

Right to left:

SG2000, SG2004, SBG1996, SBG3000

Holy cow.

My fav remains the "real thing", that is, the three-piece top on the left. Did you know (what a question...) that Yamaha really did this three piece top as part of the design of the SG 2000? It was not a money saving way of using smaller bits of terrific tone wood. There was something about the direction of the grain. I wish I could remember where I first read about it.

• Members

I may consider selling some in the future, but it wont be for the ebay prices. These are all so nice that it would be hard to choose which one will go.

if and when you're ready to sell one, pm me...i'll take the dirtiest of the lot cuz i'm more interested in sound/playability than cosmetics...

oh, and welcome to the forum! :thu:

• Members

Bodezeffas, don't you want to start a brand new thread with this?

Give it a catchy, mysterious title like this one:

My humble SG collection (sorry, no Gibson content!)

+1...it'll probably get more attention than this super-old thread

• Members

^^^ Very impressive those four! The solid-looking sofa is a good visual match.

However, my concern with this guitar design remains how well it hangs. My ideal is the strat - and I am afraid to me it is an ideal I am not willing to stray from. I must have that "angle" (cf. the contours at the back of the body) to allow me an easy overview of the fretboard, just as I must have the perfect balance and stability characterizing the strat. By stability I mean, if you remove both hands from the guitar the guitar must stay put. The strat (or rather the super strat) is the perfect guitar for me in this respect. But in terms of tone, nothing beats an LP or LP-like tone. I tried the SG1000 and was appalled at the way it felt ergonomically. Not only did it fail to honour the criteria above, but it also felt skewed to the left (or forwards), giving the impression that the headstock was somehow far away just as the bridge was similarly out of place being likewise too far forwards. It sounded great even with its ridiculously worn strings, but this kind of design I cannot work with, which I can only deeply regret.

• Members

+1...it'll probably get more attention than this super-old thread

I give you the full copyright to the suggested title above.

It should get the attention from the Gibson folks, the SG army and the people who just wonder what the heck that might be. Then, once it turns out to be a Yamaha thread, it'll be joined by the surprisingly large number of Yamaha afficionados on this forum.

As you are new, I might add that you must brace yourself for the occasionnal trolls or douchbags that populate this forum (there are actually only few of them but, like all vandales, their crap takes a lot of room). Do like we do: ignore them.

See you in your new thread!

:wave:

• Members

I give you the full copyright to the suggested title above.

It should get the attention from the Gibson folks, the SG army and the people who just wonder what the heck that might be. Then, once it turns out to be a Yamaha thread, it'll be joined by the surprisingly large number of Yamaha afficionados on this forum.

As you are new, I might add that you must brace yourself for the occasionnal trolls or douchbags that populate this forum (there are actually only few of them but, like all vandales, their crap takes a lot of room). Do like we do: ignore them.

See you in your new thread!

:wave:

Besides which, it'll give me a good reason to post MY pics again!!!!

Archived