yamaha sg article...

seifukusha

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by RockNote

Please, would you like to give me the details from the Japanese web site on these three models?

SG-3000

SG-2000

SG-2000MT

Thanks. I'll try Babelfish too, but I'd rather trust your translation.

Here you go:

SG-2000:

SG-3000:

Same as SG-2000 except "Mexican abalone" binding, SGH-ICB AlNiCo V pickups and colors are GL (gold), BM (metallic black) and WR (wine red).

SG-2000MT:

Same as SG-2000 except it has SGH-40B AlNiCo V pickups, no push/push coil splits and the only finish offered is LGB (lagoon blue). It also has a slightly lower list price (

• Members

What does it mean? The pics are from
this page

inngg.gif

My Japanese skills ain't that great, the only thing I could figure out of it is that it has something to do with the finish. I'd be interested to know what it means too. Great pics on those pages.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

My Japanese skills ain't that great, the only thing I could figure out of it is that it has something to do with the finish. I'd be interested to know what it means too. Great pics on those pages.

No, I really don't think so! Surely it's something to do with the attack - how the guitar responds to resonance. Note the Hz on the horisontal axis.

EDIT: Upon reading the Babelfish translation, I think we are both right! Finish has an impact on resonance anyway, so why not.

• Members

So, LaXu, I hear from forumite JKater that you have an SA2200 too. We're a little club, you know. How does it treat you?

Laxu has an SA 1200S with a solid spruce top.

Thanks, RockNote, for telling me about this thread. It's a great read. As I have said in other threads, an original early 80's SG2000 is on top of my wish list. I have made up my mind that I would like the three-piece plain maple top as it seems to be part of a design (sound wise) for this well thought instrument.

And you are right RockNote : we are a few owners of SA's on this board, all of us quite happy with what we found.

• Members

So, LaXu, I hear from forumite JKater that you have an SA2200 too. We're a little club, you know. How does it treat you?

Like Jkater said, I've got a SA-1200S. It's currently being refretted by yours truly..should file the fret ends flush and level the frets and it'd be back in action.

I really love how this guitar sounds. The spruce top seems to make it a bit mellower/warmer compared to the SA-2200. The neck was a bit twisted on the low string side (not enough to affect playability) but after refretting it has straightened out nicely. It does seem that the old SA models all have a problem with the finish lifting or something because there are sort of hazy spots on the finish that are not dirt.

The SA-2200 seems to have a regular tune-o-matic while my SA-1200S has the same kind of TOM that you can see on the SG pics posted earlier. Very elegant piece of hardware, much more "solid" feeling than normal tune-o-matics, especially when it comes to the attachment of the saddles...without strings the saddles can move a little on a normal TOM but on this one they are not going anywhere.

yamaha_sa-1200s-01.jpg

• Members

Sorry to have missed the exact model, LaXu. Honest mistake. Good to hear from you, JKater! It puzzles me why the Japanese recommended retail price is so high on the SG2000 compared to the SA2200. As I can see, thanks to Babelfish, from the link I posted to rental prices, it used to be considerably lower. I may post something a bit more systematic on this later.

• Members

I have owned a TS9 since I got my first guitar back in 83. It has been on virtually the whole time! However, I am starting to learn - although this is hard for me to acknowledge - that the key to the best tones in an SA2200 (probably most thinline semi hollows) is plugging in direct! Not only do you obviously get a purer signal, you get a woodier tone, and, no less important, the bite becomes just right. When playing through my TS9, I sometimes find my tone to be lacking in bite (in part to do with the frets being smaller than what I'm used to). However, when plugging in direct, the tone is there! For an FX junkie of 22+ years, it is hard for me to go cold turkey...

• Members

why is EVERYthing priced so high in Japan?...because people here pay those prices. Ever seen a $10.oo carton of strawberries or a $70.oo cantaloup? I have.....didn`t buy em but saw em.

Guess you guys didn`t see the SG-2004 models? Limited to 20 of each color...amber and black quilt, absolutely stunning...of course none made it up to this city and I`m kinda glad about that because they were 450,000 yen.

I am another member who owns an SA-2200, along with an SAS-1500, a 1511 Mike Stern, a USA II with a quilt top not flame, a Pacifica 10th anniversary strat that was limited to 30 in each of the 3 colors...I got the antique violin with matching headstock. Also have an LL33 J acoustic and most recently got an SG 35 from the early 70s....think thats the model. I know I`ve posted my Yamaha collection efore, but I never get tired of doing that so just skip over this part if you`ve read it before heeheehee.

• Members

Zenbu, thanks for the info on those rare 2004 SG models. As you can see from p. 1 of this thread, I asked Andy about the ballance in the SG2000. This is really very important to me, and I will not buy a guitar that is neck heavy. (I prefer playing standing up.) Do you know what the balance is like in the current SG models?

• Members

As I have mentioned previously, I have been looking for SG history without much success. But today I found this...

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=184

All you need to know. This guy seems to be authoratative and authentic which has already blown away many things I understood about the model. One thing gets me though, he says the SG2000 wasn't made until '76 and I have what I understood to be a '74 (with provenance). I am trying to contact the original owner (from whom I bought the guitar) to find out what this is all about.

Andy.

• Members

Originally posted by glassbackandy

One thing gets me though, he says the SG2000 wasn't made until '76 and I have what I understood to be a '74 (with provenance). I am trying to contact the original owner (from whom I bought the guitar) to find out what this is all about.

Andy.

Tell him you want your money back! :D No, seriously thanks for the link, and good luck with your inquiry. I love it when things remain unchanged over the years, in a world of flux.

• Members

A very favorable review of the new reissue SG2000 and SG1000 was done, I think by an Australian session musician. I PM'ed a forumite about it after he had mentioned it, and I tracked it down via Google. Now I can't find it, and my PM is deleted as my inbox was getting full. I have searched through my computer, but apparently I never downloaded it. So, if anyone knows the article I'm talking about, please post the link.

• Members

Just joining in the discussion!

I have a new SG2000 and a new AS2000 and they are both great guitars. I don't find the SG neck heavy at all, although it is an heavy guitar.

In the past i have owned 2 Sg 2000's and also a SG400 which was a great little guitar too. That went when i got my first 2000.

Both guitars were great and i foolishly sold them for other things!!

I also owned 2 AS 2000's prior to my current one and again sold them in part exchange for other guitars. We all live and learn........

I obviously can't A/B them with my originals but i have to say that i am happy with the sounds coming from both of them.

One thing to note if you are not familiar with the push/push tone pots and it's quite important: on "ten" they are out of the circuit and the pickup goes straight to the output jack and hence they are a little brighter...which i suspect is why a lot of people accuse them of being brittle. If you put the tone on "nine" you will hear it "come in to play" and the sound warms up a little and they sound great. Martyn Booth who designed the Yamaha MSG told me this when i tried to use one as a volume pot in another guitar and on "ten" the pot was bypassed and i got no sound! Turn it to nine and it worked! It does make a difference to the sound and most people will just leave the tone on "ten" and perhaps wonder why they sound a little bright.

This time i am keeping the ones i have.......I might not use them everyday but when i do use them i always marvel at the build quality, playability and sound.:thu:

• Members

Welcome to the discussion, Gentle Thunder! You say it's new, but how old is your SG2000 exactly? I am glad that you say it's not neck heavy. Did you see the link I posted above to TGP - this guy apparently has a neck heavy SG2000 - but then wood can vary a in weight. As Andy has told us, there appears to have been a change of woods since the originals.

• Members

It's about 6 months old.....in black. The trouble with SG2000's for me is that they are usually three pieces, centre block and a couple of wings either side and Yamaha don't seem to be fussed about the wings matching. Some look "odd"......you can't see it in black! The first black one i have owned. Incidentally....the SG1000 is closer to a Les Paul in construction..........tenon joined neck (not thru-body) and twp piece body..and also no sustain block.

I'll check out the link....but........mine is definately not neck heavy .......but it is an heavy guitar. I think Yamaha humbuckers split better than most others by the way.:thu:

• Members

Something to note about Yamaha's MSRP is that you will likely be able to buy the guitar for 75% or less of that price, at least in Canada.

...back to the *real* discussion - the SG is a guitar I've been lusting over for a long time, but I've never actually seen or played one in person - none of the Yamaha dealers around here ever have any :(

Archived