yamaha sg article...

seifukusha

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was drooling but trying not to appear like it!!
There's a Canadian player, Rik Emmett , who plays a SG3000 in blond, or off white, and he is wasome. He really is an all round player. Very very good at rock and jazz. It's because of him i always wanted the 3000.
I think he should send his to me..........or maybe you could just save the hassle and send one of yours?
Go on......you know it makes sense! :D

• Members

My satisfaction with my SA2200 keeps on growing. I am still exploring its possibilities. As I am a minimalist, partly by nature, partly by finance, I am finding reasons not to get the SG2000. Just having two guitars is causing trouble for my simplistic temperament. My style of playing is honed on the super strat style guitar, but I have come to have mixed feelings about its tone. Hey, I find it excusable after 20 years!

Let me describe what characterizes my sonic ideal. I love the electric guitar because it is capable of producing a great many tones that lie outside notation. My Kramer, for instance, being equipped with a Floyd will inevitable yield notes that are just a few semitones flat. E.g. pluck the low E string and bend one of the other strings. This is producing it at will, but really this happens by itself in a most musical way while playing. It is not always detectable, but lies at a subliminal level, I think, and is the exact opposite of something causing fatigue, as it adds life. Also, my Kramer excels at giving off undertones (as well as overtones of course), such as when playing E or D as a power chord (fifth) in 7th and 5th position. Although I mute the 6th string with my index finger (and don't pluck the string, needless to say), it invariably sounds nevertheless. In addition to this loud and heavy fun stuff, it does the Billy Gibbons palm-muted flageolets effortlessly. OK, so far my praise for the Kramer. The drawback is that the guitar is too bright for me now. That is, the tone of the instrument on its own account is too bright, but as I play it, and really dig into it, thus squeezing out the goods, it becomes perfect, since it needs some brightness to yield those palm-muted overtones, etc. I think part of it may be subjective - my irritation with the brightness of the tone vanishes as my focus shifts to enjoying what I play. You could say I am currently in a love/hate relationship with my Kramer.

As to the SA2200, I only have feelings of pure love for its tone. However, we don't go that far back - perhaps I'm just having an affair! Also, a lot of my style of playing I cannot do on it. But then it opens up new areas I have been wanting to get into for quite some time, i.e. the jazzy area. I love its warm, woody, and airy tone! It is such a full sound. You don't have to listen for the wood to hear it - it is conspicuously there. A tone I dial in a lot is that bluesy, thundering roar, like a herd of bulls traversing a wooden bridge... Again, the attraction is that the single notes - to say nothing of double stops or chords - are rather imprecise, yet musically so. I want my single notes to sound almost like chords, due to over- and undertones. Needles to say, I virtually always play distorted, looking for a dark, warm, muffled tone - obscure...

If you care to do so, I'd be very interested to hear your description of the tones you favour.

• Members
Originally posted by StudioLord

Oh sorry, "requested" would have fit better i guess...
;)

That's perfectly all right, friend! So, you're in Cologne, Germany. Have you been to Music Store Cologne? That's where I got my SA2200. How do you like the store and the people? I have never been there, but I have shopped with them several times over the Internet. I quite like them. Their prices are quite often identical to Thomann's - but with Music Store Cologne I am charged the German tax of 16% whereas Thomann charges me the Danish 25% (presumably because they have exported over a certain amount to Denmark - then a company needs to register - I think it's DKK 250,000).

• Members

Originally posted by RockNote

If you care to do so, I'd be very interested to hear your description of the tones you favour.

I am first an acoustic guitarist and I am used to lots of overtones and, for lack of a clearer description, "woody" tones. Of my two main electric guitars, the Yamaha sounds much more multidimensionnal and versatile to my taste and for my style (Jazz and generally clean or just a bit crunched) The reason my SA2200 is my number one is probably the neck and playability and also the sheer beauty and quality of it. Some may argue but I find my SA2200 to be of higher quality than my Gibson signature Les Paul which cost a full grand more. I, also have a love/hate relationship with my Gary moore sig LP. I dislike the bad fretwork (no buzzes but a squarish shape that I find uncomfortable) and badly cut nut but I love the sound and sustain that I get from it when what I play calls for an LP sound. The original pup's (BB) were swapped for 57 classics which I believe to be real good humbuckers. That being said, I sometimes wonder how the 57 classics would sound in such a guitar as the SA2200. The stock Yamaha pick-ups are no mean pup's and I don't feel an urge to swap them but, who knows, in the future it may be a possibility.

• Members
Originally posted by RockNote

That's perfectly all right, friend! So, you're in Cologne, Germany. Have you been to Music Store Cologne? That's where I got my SA2200. How do you like the store and the people? I have never been there, but I have shopped with them several times over the Internet. I quite like them. Their prices are quite often identical to Thomann's - but with Music Store Cologne I am charged the German tax of 16% whereas Thomann charges me the Danish 25% (presumably because they have exported over a certain amount to Denmark - then a company needs to register - I think it's DKK 250,000).

I visit the "store" (as we call it here ;) ) quite often, so i really can't complain. They have a small bar where you can get nonalcoholic drinks for free and have a chat with the staff - but sometimes it's too full with people so they are quite busy. They have a nice stock of guitars on display although a little bit too much of thier "own" stuff.

• Members

I visit the "store" (as we call it here
;)
) quite often, so i really can't complain. They have a small bar where you can get nonalcoholic drinks for free and have a chat with the staff - but sometimes it's too full with people so they are quite busy. They have a nice stock of guitars on display although a little bit too much of thier "own" stuff.

Ha! I like that - the Store! As if it wasn't enough that they call themselves simply Music Store (sometimes Music Store K

• Members

BTW Rocknote, i got here something for you:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=406571

These are some Songs & Sounds from a guy i know from a german guitar forum. He's has a 2003 SG2000 which he got directly from Japan, and back then I strongly encouraged him to get it.

Just check out the song "Rivera" which he recorded with his SG and a rivera chubster.

Then you can also check "Jazzy & Bob". First half is played with an Ibanez AT200, the second again with the SG.

Some really good stuff there.

• Members

BTW Rocknote, i got here something for you:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=406571

These are some Songs & Sounds from a guy i know from a german guitar forum. He's has a 2003 SG2000 which he got directly from Japan, and back then I strongly encouraged him to get it.

Just check out the song "Rivera" which he recorded with his SG and a rivera chubster.

Then you can also check "Jazzy & Bob". First half is played with an Ibanez AT200, the second again with the SG.

Some really good stuff there.

Thank you! :thu: I like the very natural tone on Rivera, unadulterated by FX. However, I like the tone even better on Jazzy & Bob, as it isn't sharp. (I hate sharp, cutting, abrasive, etc.) But I never play that clean myself; still, the tone is good. Air On the G String has got to be the s l o w e s t neoclassical ever! Which is a nice change from that wall-to-wall shredding that goes so fast they might as well play chords. I now listen to Cry For Me - oh, I do like that smooth saturation! We've got a real tone hound on our hands, I see! :thu:

• Members

A little processed maybe (read: synthetic), but the crunch on Zep is right up my alley! And wow, great Malmsteenesque/Uli Rothesque stuff going on here! Kudos, bra! It's the sound of Northern Europe! :thu:

What guitars are soloing on Faith?

• Members

A PRS Custom 22 and a Ibanez RG540.

Thank you! I like it!

April Sky is neoclassical-as-easy-listening. I think this is a novel category! I love how the theme from Air On the G String comes in towards the end. This is clearly a much more mature take on Bach than the pure copy.

Given his versatility, his ability to play and master a number of styles, I would say he is a great player.

• Members

heres the translated text...not by me, my Japanese sucks...I`m Canadian...

YAMAHA SA-2500 arrived. Please inquire details in the telephone or E-
Mail.
Don`t think it`s new nor from the recent past because it`s not in any of my catalogs going back 9 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I love my Yamaha SA2200 more each day that goes by. I have by now had it for a couple of months. I notice something strange happening at certain settings, however, which I would like to discuss with you. My guess is it's a known issue with ES-335 style guitars - at any rate, it is not something I am worried about as such.

My preferred amp setting for lead is gain at 7 (2 o'clock) + TS9 in front at a slight boost (2 o'clock) + gain (10 o'clock). Thus, I go for a fairly saturated sound. This setting is likely to provoke what I take to be phase cancellation. That is, a note may sustain for a brief while and then stop dead more or less (you may hear an ugly harmonic ringing). Yesterday as well as today, this would happen only at the 11th fret on the G string. As I tune to Eb, this is an F. It is not a dead spot, as there is nothing unusual when playing without amplification or on a clean amp setting. At clean settings, the note rings out no different from the ones surrounding it, i.e. the fret before and after. I conclude, therefore, that the issue has to do with the interaction between guitar and amp at this specific setting. Less gain may give the same result however. If I then tune the strings up to E (std. tuning), it goes away even at my heavy gain setting. I have done that a couple of times today, tuning up and down, while testing this out. At this moment my guitar is back to Eb, and the issue seems to have passed! It may have passed just because I needed to turn the volume down at this time of night. I feel it is very temperamental, especially as I have previously noticed the same thing but in other places on the fretboard.

Since it is a new guitar, I have been adjusting the action and the trust rod over the past couple of months. The setup is now perfect for me. It has been good all along, but you know how it is, you need to experiment to find the ultimate adjustment. At some point, when dealing with this phase cancellation issue, I wondered if I had set the action too low, so I raised it slightly, which appeared to correct the problem I had at the time, which was with another string at another fret (not G, 11th). I have wondered if my most recent experience had to do with the neck having too little relief. But I rather doubt it, since it looks perfect, plus, as I say, it is not an issue on a clean amp setting. I am quite baffled as to what this is about, and would appreciate your input.

FYI, I have been a superstrat player for more than 20 years and carry this approch to the guitar over to the semi hollow. I take it some of you who have honed your skills on a semi hollow will find my approach misguided (too much gain). Be that as it may, I know what I like - and I love the tone I get from my SA2200. However, I am aware that it may behave in ways that are not altogether to my liking. I expected it to be prone to feedback, so I intend to learn to live with that, but this phase cancellation issue has really taken me by surprise.

I originally posted this as a new thread 10 hours ago. I copy it here, as it has as yet received no replies.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

There is a program on the yamaha website for dating. You will have to hunt for it, it is kind of buried if I recollect.

Keep in mind that the program will not differentiate between decades. So 1975 and 1985 would come up the same. The website also lists an email address for someone at Yamaha to help with dating.

Wade 8^)

• Members

My sbg2000 is a sweet guitar. Picked it up on ebay after watching them for a few months to get an idea what the market was like on them. What is the local store asking?
Definitely a guitar worth checking out anyway.

Wade 8^)

Archived