yamaha sg article...

seifukusha

• Members
Originally posted by Jkater

LaXu, I am quite impressed with your work refretting your SA1200S. Will you have to redo the nut? If you were my neighbor, I'd ask you if you would crowned the frets of my LP which are terribly squarish and uncomfortable when sliding.

I've made new nuts for most of my guitars, replacing any plastic nuts with bone or Graphtech stuff. On the SA-1200S the nut was obviously too low for the new frets (noticed during the first refret) so I shimmed it with a piece of thin triangular pick (no tone change from what I can tell).

I don't even have proper fretfiles, I've made homemade ones out of old wound strings and a thickness gauge (filed teeth on it). It takes forever to cut a bone nut with them but the nut files are bloody expensive over here. Should order a set from Stewmac some day.

I highly recommend you pick up Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide and How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great books if you want to learn about fixing your guitar.

Here's what I did to the original nut on the SA-1200S after I bought it in Japan and came back to Finland:

Before - too tight slots and too much excess material above them:
nut_bad01.jpg

After - shaped and polished, see how the strings look almost like they're just gliding over the nut:
nut_finished01.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a really neat job!
I have to admit that i do the same to my nuts whether it is a Yamaha, Gibson or Fender.....they all seem to fit tall nuts.
Having said that, my latest 335 block re-issue (not custom shop) made in the Nashville plant a couple of years ago came with a perfect nut, perfect frets and perfectly set up! Big surprise.....kudos to the Nashville guys!

You sem like a patient kind of guy and i am sure you will really do a good job on your SA1200......best wishes.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Gentle Thunder

That's a really neat job!

I have to admit that i do the same to my nuts whether it is a Yamaha, Gibson or Fender.....they all seem to fit tall nuts.

That's often true. But my SA2200 arrived to me with a perfect set-up for 10's (neck relief, nut, etc.)Here's a couple of pics from the nut. Looks like LaXu's fine jobs on his.

NutSA.jpg

NutJPG.jpg

• Members

That looks very neat! My Pacifica 812WX also came with a perfect nut, in fact it's the best made nut I've ever seen. It really surprises me how nearly every electric guitar in stores has a poorly cut nut regardless of price while even cheaper acoustic guitars come with well shaped and cut nuts.

• Members
M010010421_bc_01.jpg

Yamaha SG fans should get this book entirely dedicated to the SG series. It is called " Yamaha SG Graffiti" It is in Japanese but the photos are awesome. If you can learn Japanese or know someone who will translate it for you then I think it would answer a lot of questions and settle disputes and myths regarding the Yamaha SG guitars.

• Members

Hi all-
I have a Yamaha SBG-3000. Black, with abalone binding and gold hardware. Ebony fingerboard. No sustain block. As heavy as my Les Paul Custom, and brighter (didn't know about that tone control thing!).
-jan

• Members
Originally posted by Flor de Luna

Yamaha SG fans should get this book entirely dedicated to the SG series. It is called " Yamaha SG Graffiti" It is in Japanese but the photos are awesome. If you can learn Japanese or know someone who will translate it for you then I think it would answer a lot of questions and settle disputes and myths regarding the Yamaha SG guitars.

Oh, man, we gotta have this book! Looking at the title "...1966-2006", I wonder if production will terminate this year. This is not implied, of course, but there has been a hiatus during those 40 years.

It looks like the publisher is Young Guitar. I take it this is a Japanese publisher. Would someone who speaks Japanese like to give them a call and hear if there are plans for an English translation? Or, if you have the number, I'll call them. I have VoipBuster, which allows me to call Japan at 1 euro cent/min. They will have someone in the office who speaks Danish, won't they? ;)

• Members
Originally posted by RockNote

They will have someone in the office who speaks Danish, won't they?
;)

The quality of your english should do the trick.:)

I know of another danish person whose english was excellent. She was very highly cultured. She even knew of the legends of the little region of Germany where I lived for 9 years.

• Members
Originally posted by Jkater

The quality of your english should do the trick.
:)

I know of another danish person whose english was excellent. She was very highly cultured. She even knew of the legends of the little region of Germany where I lived for 9 years.

Thanks very much, JKater! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

they had the 30 year anniversary models in 2004...but you needed 450,000 yen to buy one.

Well, I thought the 30 year anniversary was back in 1996.

Those SG1996 had also a tussrod cover with 30th anniversary written on it, if i'm not mistaken.

This also fits well with the 25th anniversary Model SG25 released in 1991.

So this year must be the 40th anniversary. I really have no idea why they should release the those SG2004 2 years prior. But anyway, its an awesome SG, I only wish they'd made it also neck-thru.

• Members

I`m holding the 2004 catalog in my hand and they have the amber one on the cover, also came in black and just 20 of each color were made.
Before I posted I asked my Japanese wife if she could read anywhere that these were some kind of anniversary models and she pointed to the number 30 in the description of the guitars and said yes, thats what it says.

• Members

Well I traded my '71 Gibson ES355 for a brand spanknin new SG2000 in 1976 while playing in Las Vegas. Great guitar and it's still with me...however I'd hesitate to call it a collectors item. It is more of a "players" guitar. I used it 6 nights a week on the road for years and years.. suffered many collisions with various objects..mic stands, other players, other players guitars my (gasp) belt buckle!

Here is its history.
Bought new in 1976
Black
I had a mod done in 1978 that added 4 mini switches for coil taps (2), phase, and Stereo/mono. (I still had a stereo rig).

I had the original p/us replaced in 1979 or so with Seymore Duncans ('59 and SD).

I had the neck shaved and refretted (med/jumbo) in 1991.

I had to buy a new guitar in 1999 because the SG was too heavy for me to play 5 sets with (I got back into gigging after a divorce).

I'm thinking of stripping the finish off the rest of the guitar since the neck looks (and feels) really cool after I had it shaved. Kind of natural but with black tints in the maple and mahogony.

So I still have it as a backup guitar. It is in dire need of a new case. The original has holes in it near the headstock, and the bottom is held together with duct tape. The hinges were replaced with hardware for a door (I kid you not). The handle is a piece of nylon rope and duct tape.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement case?

Btw, gREAT thread, but I don't recall the "tone" trick everyone has been talking about. My SG was pretty straight forward LP wiring when I bought it.

I'll post a pic sometime soon.

• Members
Originally posted by ZenFly

Well I traded my '71 Gibson ES355 for a brand spanknin new SG2000 in 1976 while playing in Las Vegas. Great guitar and it's still with me...however I'd hesitate to call it a collectors item. It is more of a "players" guitar. I used it 6 nights a week on the road for years and years.. suffered many collisions with various objects..mic stands, other players, other players guitars my (gasp) belt buckle!

Here is its history.

Bought new in 1976

Black

I had a mod done in 1978 that added 4 mini switches for coil taps (2), phase, and Stereo/mono. (I still had a stereo rig).

I had the original p/us replaced in 1979 or so with Seymore Duncans ('59 and SD).

I had the neck shaved and refretted (med/jumbo) in 1991.

I had to buy a new guitar in 1999 because the SG was too heavy for me to play 5 sets with (I got back into gigging after a divorce).

I'm thinking of stripping the finish off the rest of the guitar since the neck looks (and feels) really cool after I had it shaved. Kind of natural but with black tints in the maple and mahogony.

So I still have it as a backup guitar. It is in dire need of a new case. The original has holes in it near the headstock, and the bottom is held together with duct tape. The hinges were replaced with hardware for a door (I kid you not). The handle is a piece of nylon rope and duct tape.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement case?

Btw, gREAT thread, but I don't recall the "tone" trick everyone has been talking about. My SG was pretty straight forward LP wiring when I bought it.

I'll post a pic sometime soon.

Great post! :thu:

Your SG may not be a collectors item anymore but it has seen a lot of action and must have a value not measurable in $$$. A "player's guitar" is no exageration.

• Members
Originally posted by zenbu

I`m holding the 2004 catalog in my hand and they have the amber one on the cover, also came in black and just 20 of each color were made.

Before I posted I asked my Japanese wife if she could read anywhere that these were some kind of anniversary models and she pointed to the number 30 in the description of the guitars and said yes, thats what it says.

Thanks for the info! Only 20 of each, color? Wow, thats what I call rare! :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by StudioLord

BTW, Rocknote, you demanded pics - not a 2000 though, but i'm glad to serve...
:D

Thanks very much, StudioLord. "Demanded" is a bit strong. I am not in a position to demand pictures, as I already owe people here pics of my SA2200 - I haven't forgotten!

Archived