yamaha sg article...

seifukusha

• Members

If you ever need to remove a tone knob from your guitar.....ALWAYS but ALWAYS make sure it is in the up or split position! If you try to remove the knob with the tone pot in the down position you will force the switch upwards as you try to remove the knob. This will break the switch internally and you won't be able to push it back down. You will have lost your humbucker sound!
Ask me how i know..................??!!
Fortunately it was an SG 2000 and the pot was easily replaced.
Just something to remember!:o

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Gentle Thunder

If you ever need to remove a tone knob from your guitar.....ALWAYS but ALWAYS make sure it is in the up or split position! If you try to remove the knob with the tone pot in the down position you will force the switch upwards as you try to remove the knob. This will break the switch internally and you won't be able to push it back down. You will have lost your humbucker sound!

Ask me how i know..................??!!

Fortunately it was an SG 2000 and the pot was easily replaced.

Just something to remember!
:o

So, how do you know?... ;) Thanks for letting us benefit from your hard-earned experience. :thu:

• Members

But life ain't perfect still. The angled plug is very likely to bump into the guitar stand when I sit the guitar down into it - I have a regular old school tripod stand. I need a new stand anyway, now that I have a new guitar. Any recommendations? Do you know the problem I am referring to, or should I explain in more detail?

This aside, I finally got round to using the Klotz LaGrange cable it has taken me FOREVER to hunt down - after which I just have had it lying around. (I finally found it at Studio Spares, UK.) But I am so very lethargic when it comes to doing practical stuff, as it takes away from my guitar playing time, or my Internet surfing time, or my TV watching time - you get the picture. Klotz LaGrange is a great cable. I use Neutrik plugs.

• Members

The pick guard is attached via two screws........one in the same place as a Les Paul at the neck and the other in the middle of the bottom of the pickguard.......underneath it has a rubber spacer to support it off the body.

Sustain block. It doesn't bother me..........I know a friend who had his removed and replaced with wood as he thought it gave the guitar a metallic ring to it. I actually belief that was due to the tone pot....as said before..on ten it is bypassed and the tone is brighter......so when you compare it to a Les paul it does sound brighter. Turning it to nine brings it back to "normal".

I also have two friends who prefer the SG1000 or SG1000s so don't overlook them. It might not be as legendary but the sound and build quality is just as excellent. The reason they prefer them is because it doesn't have the brass sustain plate and it has a normal neck joint. It feels just the same as the Sg 2000 to play..the neck joint feels the same...and they are only marginally lighter. For what my opinion is worth......I like them both although initially i was only interested in the SG2000.

Now it wouldn't bother me which i owned.......both are superbly made and sound great too.

I bought it from Frets in Blackpool, England. I traded for it so I can't really give you a price.
:)

GT, the circuit you describe above - bypassing tone controls on 10 - your SA2200 doesn't work like that too, does it? Mine doesn't.

• Members

Originally posted by RockNote

But life ain't perfect still. The angled plug is very likely to bump into the guitar stand when I sit the guitar down into it - I have a regular old school tripod stand. I need a new stand anyway, now that I have a new guitar. Any recommendations? Do you know the problem I am referring to, or should I explain in more detail?

I wouldn't know, I never leave any cords plugged into my guitars when I put them back on my 7 guitar stand.

• Members

Thank you for the feedback. As you are in the States i can't recommend anyone to do a refret! Just check out a few different guitars and see how they feel to you....that's what's important. Tall frets allow you to get under the string but you can also push things out of tune sometimes.

Yes...the pickups are great...try the tone on 9 to allow it to come in to circuit...you will hear a slight difference.

Yes get a Les Paul one day....I have two......they are just a different flavor of meat but i tell you one thing........it will allow you to realise how well the Yamaha was built.

No matter how many different guitars i buy from bulk manufacturers i can't help but be reminded that the Yamaha stuff is well built and designed.

Have fun and enjoy it!
:thu:

I did that too. I solved it by moving the coiltap wire from that pot over to the other pot. So both pickups are tapped off one pot. I prefer that setup now. I cant ever recall wanting to use both pickups with one tapped and the other not.

• Members

This is a great thread. I've read many posts to which I would have liked to reply or just give an additionnal opinion. First, yes, the SA calls for an angled plug. I can't imagine plugging a straight one but i haven't tried it so what do I know...

And speaking of the SA2000, I think it's just as good a guitar as the SA2200, just different in that the 2200 has flame maple to go with the taste of the day. And I would love to own the SA2000S with the solid spruce top. That must be an awesome instrument.

It appears to be the one played by Bireli Lagrene on this pic:

1032941594.jpg

Hey wait! He looks like he has a straight plug in so it CAN be done... :)

• Members

Never mind laughing at the Birrelli Lagrene pic with the straight jack...don't do it!!!:) :)
Tone control....all of my Yamaha's that use that push/push pot to split the pickups do the by-pass thing including the older ones. You can actually prove it with a meter if you ever have the thing apart.
Turn off your TV, silence the computer, stop chewing food and plug in your guitar and listen..carefully...and when you turn the knob to about 9 you will hear it come in.
Trust me.....
And...if you do what Laxu says and unplug your guitar you won't have to worry about tripping over the lead AND whether the jack catches on the stand!
It allows you to stop worrying and be able to sleep at night!

Have you noticed how us Yammy guys are all very polite, helpful and totally civil to each other? Must come free in the case........:bor:

• Members

Never mind laughing at the Birrelli Lagrene pic with the straight jack...don't do it!!!

Tone control....all of my Yamaha's that use that push/push pot to split the pickups do the by-pass thing including the older ones. You can actually prove it with a meter if you ever have the thing apart.

Turn off your TV, silence the computer, stop chewing food and plug in your guitar and listen..carefully...and when you turn the knob to about 9 you will hear it come in.

Trust me.....

And...if you do what Laxu says and unplug your guitar you won't have to worry about tripping over the lead AND whether the jack catches on the stand!

It allows you to stop worrying and be able to sleep at night!

Have you noticed how us Yammy guys are all very polite, helpful and totally civil to each other? Must come free in the case........
:bor:

Hi Gentle Thunder. Oh, but I have already moved on to angled plugs. It happened last night. Do you think angled plugs, and putting the cord through the strap, will keep us reasonably safe from the damages you have seen? Short of taping the chord to the guitar what more can we do (if needed)?
I may have misunderstood your point about bypass - I will now run the test you describe - what I have done is simply to investigate whether or not the tone control works when the volume is maxed. (In my case it does.) I tend to play at full volume with the tone backed off a bit - 8 or 9.

• Members

Here's a pic of the fretwire that was in my SA-1200S. It's the {censored}ty looking one on the top, and although it doesn't quite show in the picture the nibs on the fret tang are very tall and big, bigger than anything on current Dunlop fretwire. As you can see the original fretwire was worn very low.

fretwire.jpg

And here's my poor SA-1200S, still in surgery. I need to file the fret ends flush with the fretboard and round them. Then I have to level the fretboard, recrown and polish the frets. And last but not least reinstall the nut and put some strings on and hope that it doesn't require any more fret filing.

yammy_surgery.jpg

• Members

Looks like you are doing a fine job! I've only re=fretted one guitar but i do all my own levelling and crowning. I crapped myself all the way through that refret but i made it to the end! It came out very nicely but it was nerve wracking.
At least i bet your neck was still nice and flat after all these years and didn't need planing. Let us know how it comes out when you are done.:thu:

• Members

I think you have misunderstood me about the tone control.

It is not about it working with the volume maxed...it will do. It's just that if you put the tone on 10 you are by-passing the tone pot. It sounds brighter like this.....then if you turn the control to 9ish you will "hear" it come in. It just takes a tiny bit of treble off to make it more comparable with a regular tone pot on 10.
You will not have noticed as you say you use your tone about 8ish.
Most people pick up a guitar and turn the volume and tone to ten, that's why a lot of people trying a SG/SA 2000 think the pickups are bright. It's only a slight difference but it is there to hear.

You are confusing perhaps what i said about the volume cutting out if you use a TONE pot for a volume pot. I wanted to split a Les Paul pickup and loved the Yamaha push/push pots rather than the regular push/pull pots which you can't get your nail under fast enough when you are playing! So...I used a Yamaha push/push pot in place of my neck volume pot. Worked great on 9 and less but as soon as you turned it to 10 the volume cut out. Tried everything to find out why. Yamaha UK ex luthier Martyn Booth explained why. Not made that mistake again.
Incidentally.....and i have no idea why.........when you split a coil in a Les Paul it doesn't sound the same as when they are split in the SG2000/SA2000. The Yamaha splits i find useable but my Les Paul always sounded anaemic! Not Gibson bashing......I noticed another thread where someone advised them not to bother splitting their Les Paul pickup. I agree with them.;)

• Members

Looks like you are doing a fine job! I've only re=fretted one guitar but i do all my own levelling and crowning. I crapped myself all the way through that refret but i made it to the end! It came out very nicely but it was nerve wracking.

At least i bet your neck was still nice and flat after all these years and didn't need planing. Let us know how it comes out when you are done.
:thu:

Thanks! Actually the neck was slightly twisted to the bass side but after removing the frets and due to having other stuff to do the guitar sat without frets for quite a while and straightened out nicely. Now the fretboard is dead straight.

This is actually the second time I'm refretting the guitar because the first time I did a really bad job. Live and learn I guess, this time I got the frets in much better. If there's something I've learned from all this, it's that I don't want to do any more refretting. I'll gladly pay the about 200

• Members

Exactly Laxu! Tha's the conclusion i came to after my first refret......let someone else do it next time! Too nerve wracking when you know you can ruin a good guitar by rushing or by just being plain dumb.
Levelling and fret dressing i actually enjoy!
Take your time...you have a great guitar that will last you a lifetime!:thu:

• Members

I think you have misunderstood me about the tone control.

It is not about it working with the volume maxed...it will do. It's just that if you put the tone on 10 you are by-passing the tone pot. It sounds brighter like this.....then if you turn the control to 9ish you will "hear" it come in. It just takes a tiny bit of treble off to make it more comparable with a regular tone pot on 10.

You will not have noticed as you say you use your tone about 8ish.

Most people pick up a guitar and turn the volume and tone to ten, that's why a lot of people trying a SG/SA 2000 think the pickups are bright. It's only a slight difference but it is there to hear.

You are confusing perhaps what i said about the volume cutting out if you use a TONE pot for a volume pot. I wanted to split a Les Paul pickup and loved the Yamaha push/push pots rather than the regular push/pull pots which you can't get your nail under fast enough when you are playing! So...I used a Yamaha push/push pot in place of my neck volume pot. Worked great on 9 and less but as soon as you turned it to 10 the volume cut out. Tried everything to find out why. Yamaha UK ex luthier Martyn Booth explained why. Not made that mistake again.

Incidentally.....and i have no idea why.........when you split a coil in a Les Paul it doesn't sound the same as when they are split in the SG2000/SA2000. The Yamaha splits i find useable but my Les Paul always sounded anaemic! Not Gibson bashing......I noticed another thread where someone advised them not to bother splitting their Les Paul pickup. I agree with them.
;)

GT, I have now conducted the experiment. I notice a very slight mellowing when going from 10 to 9, and no, or only an insignificant volume drop. I think I now have found a new favorite setting, viz. vol. on 9; tone pretty much as before. But this is more of a "thought" thing, less something heard. The change, when going from 10 to 9, is too small to really mean anything in practical terms. Put it this way, I would imagine it is a good way of dialing out "fatique" if one should ever tire of the maxed out setting. When lowering the volume further, say 3 or 4, I notice a substantial mellowing, or we could even call it a darkening. I found it to be very useful indeed as a jazzy lead type of tone, especially with the preamp gain set pretty high. So, in conclusion, I find a continuous mellowing/darkening as I decrease the volume. This looks to me like business as usual. I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary. Now, I am not one to claim that my guitar is wired differently, but had you not told me that this is a different circuit, I would never have known.

• Members

LaXu, I am quite impressed with your work refretting your SA1200S. Will you have to redo the nut? If you were my neighbor, I'd ask you if you would crowned the frets of my LP which are terribly squarish and uncomfortable when sliding.

Archived