So...Did Anyone Run Out and Buy Vista?

Anderton

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

man, i remember when OSX first came out... it was a CLUSTER{censored}... and then i remember when G5's came out and that was a BIGGER CLUSTER{censored}. PCIe only with nobody making PCIe cards at the time. i was going to upgrade to a G5 then but couldnt unless i switched all my convertors to FW, as it was the only thing available at the time.... not to mention OSX.1 SUCKED.... of course i thought it looked a bit like windows with the documents/applications/my music/my pictures/etc structure happening. i dont however think vista looks anything like OSX [thank god] aside from the "glass" look, although the blackglass is far more stylish than OSX, which after XP's look is almost weird to say.

i dont know about security holes... i dont think that is one of the downsides of Vista honestly. not that hackers wont get in. they can get in ANY machine if they want to bad enough. anyway, i dont think thats even close to a legitimate complaint for Vista.

as for bloatware.... if they put out the public release like the betas, i was pretty suprised how you had to go OUT of your way to get messenger, meeting, and other features on the OS unlike XP where you had to deactivate it. i liked that about the betas.

i havent noticed much of a performance issue running Vista over XP and having 2GB RAM is a bad thing? i MUST have 2GB just to run most things on XP.... im looking to move to 4GB in a few weeks here anyway.

sure i dont get the cool transaero on my lowly P4 3gHz 1GB RAM system... but appllications do work on it, and as well as they did on XP, even in XP compatiability mode. my real machine, with the aerotrans and 3D window flip.... thats just too wicked. it will be interesting with what developers do with things like the 3D window flip, i would LOVE to flip through all my plugins with that mechanism [and fwiw, the graphics card that can easily run that only cost me a whopping $64 at the end of last year...]

when am i going to BUY vista? when everyone is on board and all is running rock solid. i already have several beta versions and the RTM so i have already "learned" the OS for when my clients start upgrading their machines to it. btw, networking on it is great.

• Members

nope. I upgraded to XP happily in the week of release.

Because I had a machine with ME on it - hoobooy, what a stinker that was.

I am still pretty happy and productive on the XP machines so I don't have that incentive.

I also find that I resent the intrusion of media stuff into the new OS. I'm the media guy. I don't want any competition from "the Man".

Exactly what I was going to say. :thu:

Robert

• Members

Well, I'm not going to Vista.... but I'm interested in XP Pro 64, though, and wonder how their new 64 bit drivers work.

What is XP pro 64? I have an AMD 64 processor and 2MB corsair ram, should I consider pro 64? I haven't been paying attention to all this OS stuff, because XP has been working fine. What are the advantages / disadvantages of Vista and pro 64?

The concern I'm having with Vista is everyone is saying you need this and you need that just to run it. That tells me its a resource hog, who wants an operating system that steals all your resources? Do these new OS's offer performance increases or is just for new multimedia content and security features that take away horsepower?

• Members

Hey Alpha (or anyone who knows) -- are you saying that standard PCI cards won't work with a G5 Mac? I have a dual G5 and never installed any cards (always did the FireWire or USB thing) but want to install the Lynx AES16 PCI card in the Mac. Can that be done or do I HAVE to have PCIe cards?

• Members

when am i going to BUY vista? when everyone is on board and all is running rock solid. i already have several beta versions and the RTM so i have already "learned" the OS for when my clients start upgrading their machines to it. btw, networking on it is great.

Good info.

$64 for a full-Vista capable video card, huh? THAT's what I get for taking the writing of some pop-tech writer that full-Vista capable cards were running in the $300-$400 range. (I'm not a gamer so I don't know these things.)

I'm still in the skeptic's camp but I'm feeling a little better most of the time -- except when I find some new gotchya... so it's, like, two steps forward and a step back...

• Members

Here you go...

Which Power Macintosh G5 models have PCI, PCI-X, and PCI Express slots? How many PCI slots of what speed does each Power Macintosh G5 have?

The main Power Macintosh G5 specs page on EveryMac.com provides "PCI" or "PCI-X" in parenthesis after the name of systems to indicate which systems have PCI or PCI-X slots at a glance. The Dual Core and "Quad Core" systems have PCI Express slots.

The details regarding the number, speed, and configuration of PCI slots provided by each PCI and PCI-X equipped Power Macintosh G5 model are provided below. Each of these systems also has an 8X AGP Pro slot that "supports up to 2-GBps data throughput" and is occupied by the graphics card in the default configurations.

System Name

PCI or PCI-X Slots

Power Macintosh G5 1.6 (PCI)

Three open full-length 33 MHz, 64-bit PCI slots.

Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI-X)

Three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133 MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100 MHz, 64-bit slots.

Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X)

Three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133 MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100 MHz, 64-bit slots.

Power Macintosh G5 1.8 DP (PCI-X)

Power Macintosh G5 1.8 DP (PCI)

Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X 2)

Power Macintosh G5 2.5 DP (PCI-X)

Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI)

Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI)

Power Macintosh G5 2.3 DP (PCI-X)

Power Macintosh G5 2.7 DP (PCI-X)

These systems have three available PCI Express slots (two four-lane and one eight-lane). An additional 16-lane PCI Express slot is occupied by the graphics card in the default configurations.

System Name

PCI Express Slots

Power Macintosh G5 Dual Core (2.0)

Two open full-length four-lane PCI Express slots, and one open full-length eight-lane PCI Express slot.

Power Macintosh G5 Dual Core (2.3)

Two open full-length four-lane PCI Express slots, and one open full-length eight-lane PCI Express slot.

Power Macintosh G5 "Quad Core" (2.5)

• Members

man, i remember when OSX first came out... it was a CLUSTER{censored}... and then i remember when G5's came out and that was a BIGGER CLUSTER{censored}. PCIe only with nobody making PCIe cards at the time. i was going to upgrade to a G5 then but couldnt unless i switched all my convertors to FW, as it was the only thing available at the time.... not to mention OSX.1 SUCKED....

(snip)

sure i dont get the cool transaero on my lowly P4 3gHz 1GB RAM system... but appllications do work on it, and as well as they did on XP, even in XP compatiability mode. my real machine, with the aerotrans and 3D window flip.... thats just too wicked.

alpha, I'm getting the impression that you're no longer a Digital Performer (Mac) guy. If so, what are you using now?

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Well, did you?

MSDN guy here so...I guess no

funny though while I have MSDN subscriptionm I'm removed from the coding these days so don't use it that much

Which Win OS do I run?...hmmm well I guess all of em

Hell, there are global segments when you can still find NT 3.5.1

what do I pref?

Win2k seems a pretty good compromise

but really it comes down to

Q: "whatcha runnin?|

A:|whatcha payin me to run?|

• Members

alpha
, I'm getting the impression that you're no longer a Digital Performer (Mac) guy. If so, what are you using now?

Best,

Geoff

i use Nuendo right now. will be checking out samplitude soon. i still use DP/MAC although its poor plugin implementation really detracts from it, they REALLY need to lose MAS plugin architecture and stay with AU and make it fully automatible, AND controllable on a MCU [something that is HORRIBLY implemented, where nuendo makes the controllers actually WORK like they are supposed to]

i had been suing DP/FCP but now have moved to nuendo/premiere although only out of convenience, FCP still blows premiere away, even the latest pro2 version. it just does everything better.

soon as i can get around to it, i plan on installing OSX on my PC and see how well i can get it working.

PCIe only on new G5's... and when i was about to upgrade mine there werent PCIe cards available so that is when i switched to a P4/3gHz and performance-wise against a dualgHz G4 it simply slaughtered it by 200%. i have been itching to put a new G5 against the machines we build to see how poorly slO-SX downgrades any benefits of moving to Intel chips. OSX is the problem. it causes a HUGE hit on the system like no OS i have ever seen.

fwiw, one of the mobos we use has 3x PCIe AND 3x PCI... lets you mix and match much easier with more cards allowable to the system than any mac can do w/o expansion chassis.

• Members

In addition to all the standard upgrade concerns, I think the big elephant in the room with VISTA are the resource requirments that are necessary to run it with all the bells and whistles. It appears that if you keep all the fancy graphics and new features enable that you are going to buy a very high end machine just to run Vista, audio and music programs, which are very RAM intensive and CPU intensive will add overhead above that level.

The senior computer tech in my company put vista on his new laptop and says that it takes 1GB of RAM just to load and execute!!

that is nuts!!

• Members

I've recently been in the market for a new computer, but was not intentionally putting the purchase off for the release of Vista. I made sure that I bought a new custom built storage shed with my IRS return first to see how much money I'd have left to drop on a new computer. SORRY I waited....

I had been looking at a few models to get ideas while I was waiting for my return, and then when the check came in, I put off computers for the sake of getting my shed to clear out my garage to make room for completing my studio.

Tonight I went out to look at computers and was HIGHLY disappointed. As the guy was demonstrating the Vista platform, all I could do was visualize bytes crunching data to get from one point to the next just in running Vista. I questioned backward compatibility for Windows XP and he told me that it would depend on the manufacturer of software. :freak: When I questioned the heavy resources being used to bring up the high definition graphics, he showed me that there was a way to turn the high def off and run in a bare bones graphic mode. I don't know that I'm at all comfortable with that.

The whole idea of ALL the software that I've been buying to build my studio, just to have to update or re-buy it all over again to make things compatible, is chilling.

When I ask the sales rep if I could buy one of the new computers and then have a Windows XP Pro operating system installed to replace the Vista, he said, (paraphrased) NO WAY!!! He said that the XP was being phased out as quickly as possible and that within a year or so it would be obsolete. I uttered, "another planned obsolescence" and he said, "EXACTLY". Another man that stepped in to listen to the conversation asked if there were any systems at all available for purchase that came equipped with XP; again the Sales rep said that all models had been clearanced and that even the software that supported the XP platform would no longer be available within a year. He said that Microsoft did not want to continue support for the XP platform.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

I went online to see what was available with Windows XP and it's really rubbing me the wrong way. To get a system even near comparible to the brand new Vista systems flooding the markets, to buy a clearanced PC equipped with Windows XPP (supposedly new Dell's) on eBay would cost MORE to get the same system as the Vista systems new in the store.....

I checked HP's site and they are asking more for their closeouts than the new Vista systems.

I did notice that the Windows XP Pro operating system software is being sold dirt cheap all over the web, both OEM and full box versions. I'll probably pick one up before they all disappear; I may need it.

I'm not ready to jump ship from XP yet, and join the Vista crowd. To me, it seemed like more of a gaming/entertainment platform than a professional platform. Needless to say, I didn't buy a new computer yet.

• Members

Well, did you?

NO! Not unless I'm forced to due to computers becoming unusable without it!

I use Linux for most of my computing, XP functions exceptably for the business stuff that needs Windows and Win2K does what I need it to do for recording. When the time comes that no longer works and if audio for Linux isn't up to snuff by that time I'll go with a MAC.

• Members

im so suprised people are complaining about being able to put 32GB in their machines now [largest mobo/ram support right now]... 1GB ram to run... whatever, it works for the OS AND applications. i have a machine running that. AND its backwards compatible with XP systems.

• Members

i just have to ask what store were you buying a machine at? and what would the machine be used for... if its just general use, vista is already killer for that.... i am waiting on vistas drivers for music use to decide on that end yet.

I have been to several computer stores (physically), CompUSA, Office Depot, Office Max, Circuit City, and Best Buy. I have also been browsing the Dell and HP Official sites. It was the sales rep at Best Buy that fed me the information I posted above. I, personally, think that he's full of crap. I originally started using Windows 95, then upgraded to 98, and then 2000 before moving to XP. I've never had a problem in bringing software up to date through patches. In some of the other walk in stores, I couldn't get two cents worth of sales help because of all the other customers waiting in line for their new Vista. :freak:

FWIW, I bought an IBM from Tech PC online this evening. I am customizing it to suit my needs and it will have Windows XP Pro and Windows Office 2003preinstalled; the computer is also Vista ready with a free upgrade if I choose to do so. I'm purchasing a 3 year warranty policy.

• Members

i thought it was best buy.... its odd who you get there. i have spoken to guys there and had great conversations with them. of course, they agreed the computers carried there sucked and best was to DIY a machine anyway. of course i have spoken to IDIOTS there as well who couldnt even comprehend what i was asking in the first place.

another thing about best buy is they are EXPENSIVE!!! for computer parts. i like their CD prices if they actually carry a CD i want....

• Moderators

Well, did you?

No.

I did run out and buy a couple of $5 copies of XP Pro before the university computer store stops selling them.

Up until now, I only had one copy which I installed on all seven of my work and home computers. That's allowed under our site license, but if I separate from my job anytime soon I don't want to leave that one copy at work. :eek:

Terry D.

Archived