So...Did Anyone Run Out and Buy Vista?

Anderton

• Members

I've been playing with Vista for a few weeks now. I must say that my fears are slowly going away about performance and compatibility. Our corporate Antivirus software doesn't work on Vista yet, however. At least Vista checks for compatibility before it lets you install software. I nuked a Vista beta by installing Symantec Antivirus 10 previously. Now the OS warns you that it's not compatible. I wouldn't run out and buy an update for any of my current systems, but if I were building a new system for general use I wouldn't hesitate to use it. For those on XP and are happy with it I wouldn't worry too much about future compatibility. XP is going to be around for a very long time even when Microsoft pulls the plug on updates.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
btw, we spec'd out a 32GB RAM dual XEON machine and the ram comes to $11k for good FBDIMM RAM for 16x 2GB 8500 sticks. nobody is going to seriously be running that anytime soon.... .

Nobody's going to spend that kind of money and run into an Intel FSB wall either, they'll at least wait until the Quad K8L's get released then revised before they plunk down that kind of cash, or pray that Intel has a breakthrough and abruptly changes their roadmap.

• Members

This thread is starting to make me shiver. 32 GB of Ram????? WTF.

1 GB just to run. Crimony, I thought I was doing good with 2GB of Corsair, thats like the price of admission with this. And for what, HD??? I'm already running HD gaming 1080P with no lags. I'm sorry but if you need this kinda ridiculous Horsepower at this point in time, then your are not even considering a PC. You're looking at workstations, supercomputers, or something. None of this Vista thing makes even a remote amount of sense.

• Members

Nobody's going to spend that kind of money and run into an Intel FSB wall either, they'll at least wait until the Quad K8L's get released then revised before they plunk down that kind of cash, or pray that Intel has a breakthrough and abruptly changes their roadmap.

no, it was more of an exercise in 'gee, how much would this run?' kinda thing.

• Members

My stepson works for MS out in Seattle, he grabbed me an extra XPpro x64 and a copy of Vista x64. It's in transit as I speak. I'm running Sonar 6.2 and it's great on xp pro.They have a store right down stairs for Ms employee's all discounted!

I'm not in a hurry but sounds like my Uad-1 card drivers are almost Vista ready, so all that's left is for M-audio and or Tascam to release Fw drivers and I'm ready to go. I'm excited to use it. Change is inevitable and I'll jump in as soon as it makes sense to.

Ya Xp has been a lot more stable then 98 was. I was never so glad to get out of that environment.

I've been reading on the forums that Vista has a better driver protocol for soundcards etc. Lower latency etc. I'm all for that...

Apparently if you throw in a 2 gig memory stick, that Vista is able to use that for the swap file... That's cool

The other thing I like is the solid state Hard Drives that is coming down the pipes. 8 sec boot instead of a 55 sec boot. How many times have we sat there waiting for a reboot?

Personally I think 6 months from now I'll forget my way around XP just as I now forget 98...

Exciting times ahead, as I'm sure there'll be a few headaches, as I had with XP. But in the end it's going to work, be as stable if not more stable then xp. Using 1 gig to boot, I didn't notice that with my RTM install. I had less then 100 mb more then my xp boot with minimal services running! Relax guys Xp will get you 2-3 more years and by then Vista will be Daw ready!

Yes we will be using 8+ gigs of ram before we know it. I remember building my P3 and the option was to have a mobo that support 1 gig of ram for another $150. I said "why would I ever need that much ram".

Now 2 gig's is "just" enough... Will we ever have the Ultimate Daw?

Later :wave:

Brian

• Members

I read somewhere on the net that on the day of Vistas release it was available

in Shanghai street markets for around $1.60 US for the DVD.

Sadly I don't have enough funds at the moment to fly to China

so I guess I'll be waiting for a while .........

;)

• Members

I think Microsoft's Vista and Sony's Playstation 3 have a lot in common: they're out in the market now, but their real viability is at least a year, perhaps two, down the road.

Meanwhile, anyone who wants to experiment and be an unpaid beta tester for a system that will no doubt be in a period of rapid evolution after having hit the marketplace, gets the chance to do so.

The real issue is the uninformed average consumer who jumps in on the bandwagon early, and ends up disappointed or with a sack o' problems and limitations in their hands instead of a glowy new toy.

Both Vista and PS3 would do well to remain limited marketplace tests for 2007, but unfortunately, that's not the way they're being promoted.

Archived