Guitar Center closing stores???

stormin1155

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That would be a hell of a trip from my current abode in LA. Besides, I don't think I've set foot in a GC (or ordered from MF) since the '99. And, much like the way I feel for Northern Virgina, I'm never going back either.

Just remember that they also own the Music and Arts chain as well if you're looking to avoid them entirely.

• Members

For the people who hate Guitar Center so much they want to see them close... why? Because the service sucks? No kidding. But its the same service you get at Best Buy, Target, or Appleby's. Its just another big chain store hiring college kids making minimum wages selling you stuff at decent prices.

The key to shopping GC is don't expect anything in the way of service, and you won't be disappointed. When I go to GC, I don't even deal with the sales people until I have to. I go in, try what I want, and decide whether I want to buy it or not. At that point I go over to a sales person, ask him what kind of discount he can give me, and I either accept the price and buy it, or I leave the store. I honestly wouldn't care if they were like a Sam's Club and didnt have any sales people, just a cashier to take my money. We're all big boys and girls here with internet connections. We can all research the products we're interested in online, without needing some rock star wannabe GC salesperson to answer our questions about a product.

Even the stores with the worst service still a) allow you to try anything you want, b) have a generous return policy, and c) are willing to negotiate on the prices. Honestly, what more do you need?

And to the people who hate GC because they are putting the mom and pop shops out of business, you gotta get over that. Its life in the 21st century and its not going to change. What do you think will happen if GC goes out of business? Hundreds of mom and pop music stores will open up and things will go bak to the way they were in the 60's? Guess what, it ain't gonna happen. The minute GC announces they are closing, some other retail giant will see that void and jump all over it. They are already starting to sell musical instuments in Best Buy and Walmart. Its only a matter of time before one of them creates a spinnoff called GuitarMart. And they will hire the same college kids and offer the same crappy service. Guitar Center with a different name.

That's real talk right there. :thu:

• Members

I don't really care if they close or not, the market well take up the difference and Mom and Pop stores will still be my favorite places to deal with. Since the closest GC is 110 miles away I don't go there much, I doubt it will close but maybe some others will. If GC closes it's store in Medford then Larry's Music will be the Biggest in the area and I would rather do business with them anyway.

• Members

For the people who hate Guitar Center so much they want to see them close... why? Because the service sucks? No kidding. But its the same service you get at Best Buy, Target, or Appleby's. Its just another big chain store hiring college kids making minimum wages selling you stuff at decent prices.

The key to shopping GC is don't expect anything in the way of service, and you won't be disappointed. When I go to GC, I don't even deal with the sales people until I have to. I go in, try what I want, and decide whether I want to buy it or not. At that point I go over to a sales person, ask him what kind of discount he can give me, and I either accept the price and buy it, or I leave the store. I honestly wouldn't care if they were like a Sam's Club and didnt have any sales people, just a cashier to take my money. We're all big boys and girls here with internet connections. We can all research the products we're interested in online, without needing some rock star wannabe GC salesperson to answer our questions about a product.

Even the stores with the worst service still a) allow you to try anything you want, b) have a generous return policy, and c) are willing to negotiate on the prices. Honestly, what more do you need?

And to the people who hate GC because they are putting the mom and pop shops out of business, you gotta get over that. Its life in the 21st century and its not going to change. What do you think will happen if GC goes out of business? Hundreds of mom and pop music stores will open up and things will go bak to the way they were in the 60's? Guess what, it ain't gonna happen. The minute GC announces they are closing, some other retail giant will see that void and jump all over it. They are already starting to sell musical instuments in Best Buy and Walmart. Its only a matter of time before one of them creates a spinnoff called GuitarMart. And they will hire the same college kids and offer the same crappy service. Guitar Center with a different name.

I've never been to a Best Buy, aint any around these parts. I did check out a Wal-mart guitar, what a joke! I think it was a First Act guitar and amp package. If that's what will replace GC then I hope Mom and Pop stores make a BIG come back, they at least deserve the chance and usually give good service and value. The closest music store to where I live is 35 miles away the next is GC at 110 miles, so I value the Mom and Pop Store much more than GC and they match price with GC and sometimes even do better.

• Members

I am praying for the Dayton Ohio store to close!

*Crosses fingers.

I won't miss it either.

I've been there 4 times and all 4 times they did not have what I was looking for.

I. PRS SE. Ok, I'll give them a pass here. There is a PRS dealer down the street so they cannot carry PRS.

2. Shoulder pad for a guitar strap.

3. New arm for a Floyd Rose.

4. Boss volume pedal

How can they not carry the last three items?

• Members

I am praying for the Dayton Ohio store to close!

*Crosses fingers.

I can't believe they ever opened one in this town in the first place.

I've only been in the store 4-5 times, but have never been impressed with the selection or the staff.

• Members

As far as the topic of them closing stores goes, it's not that far from the realm of possibility with all things considered. They'll likely close any stores not performing at a certain profit level to reduce operating costs. The purpose of being bought out by investment firms is to reorganize the company and sell it off once it looks really good on paper. If that doesn't happen, they liquidate the assets and cut their losses.

• Members

I like GC. I know what I'm buying and how to set it up - I don't need their service. I like that they have online OR BETTER pricing and I can try things before buying them. The ones I went to in Nashua, NH and Attleboro (sp?) MA were well stocked and fun. My kids pounded on the electronic drums and no one seemed to mind. My oldest boy grabbed a pointy ax, tuned it to drop Z and went to town - maybe you guys saw him there?

• Members

The Mays Landing, NJ GC is useless.

They SHOULD close.

They suck just enough to buy the one good thing in the store for cheap. I got a 1962 melody maker from them for 375.00.....when they first opened they had it for 895 ...then a few years latter it was 450.00 and missing a knob so got them down to 375.00 and had an old knob at home. the store is full of JUNK sure it will close

• Members

They suck just enough to buy the one good thing in the store for cheap. I got a 1962 melody maker from them for 375.00.....when they first opened they had it for 895 ...then a few years latter it was 450.00 and missing a knob so got them down to 375.00 and had an old knob at home. the store is full of JUNK sure it will close

I hope to be there a week before they close.

• Members

As far as the topic of them closing stores goes, it's not that far from the realm of possibility with all things considered. They'll likely close any stores not performing at a certain profit level to reduce operating costs. The purpose of being bought out by investment firms is to reorganize the company and sell it off once it looks really good on paper. If that doesn't happen, they liquidate the assets and cut their losses.

Yup - hit it right on the head.

Wouldn't be surprised if the company is put back up for sale when the economy starts perking up again.

Archived