Why do people have more than one of the same instrument?

jroutley

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn't we just have one of these "judgmental" threads yesterday? :freak:

Lemme guess ... we're all going to burn in Hell if we have more than 1 freakin' guitar of the same type, right?

... and Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Kanonites, I will be led from EEEEEEVIL and having more than one guitar of any single kind, lest my balls suffer EEEEEEEEEternal damnation and shall itch forever and ever. Amen!

• Members

Backup.

If I`m playing an acoustic set, and happen to break a string, it makes more sense to me to switch to a guitar that`s as close in tone and feel as possible. So I have two six strings, same body size, same woods, that sound pretty close. Likewise, if I`m playing electric, I have a sound in mind - and if my main guitar gacks out, or I break a string, I like to keep to that as much as possible. If I switch from a low output guitar to a high output one, I need to tweak my amp settings and my effects as well to compensate - and then I`m still not sounding the way I wanted to sound when I started out. So I`ve got two telecasters that sound pretty close, and I can keep playing without it feeling like a compromise.

Pretty close is the key - no two will sound identical. But they will sound closer than an OM and a Jumbo, or a tele and a les paul.

• Members

i have two steinbergers because parts used to be scarce and it was good to have a backup, and if i really needed to, i could swap parts between them.

that said, one is an actual steinberger gm4 or something, and the other is a hohner canoe-paddle/broomhandle type. the hohner has some kind of active preamp stuffed into the control cavity...

so they are kind of the same guitar, but sort of different. always good to have a backup.

• Members

I have 8 Teles, 5 Strats, 3 SGs, 3 Dots, 2 Les Pauls, 2 Dan Armstrongs, 2 OLP MM1's, etc.. If one likes a certain type of guitar, why not own multiples versions? In different colors, with different pick-ups, etc.. They are all different, even if they are the same model, anyway. Guitars are individual, even mass production models.

Archived