OT - cute Russian girl

philbo

• Members

My story (and I'm sticking to it)

I have been using an internet dating service, and last week got a reply from a very cute girl (or at least somebody with lots of photos of a very cute girl) whom I engaged in an extended email interchange. After doing this for a while, she said she wanted to come to visit, and had all her travel documents in order.

A couple days later, she said she'd flown to Moscow and was finalizing travel arrangements. The next day she emailed an airline itinerary, and was planning to come to visit till June 24. But she said she was seriously low on funds, and wanted help - - she asked me to wire her money to get the ticket....

I got to thinking about this a bit, and started wondering why on earth somebody would travel all the way from eastern Siberia to Moscow without enough airfare to complete the trip. So I looked over her messages again, and found every one of them were from the Uzbekistan time zone (UTC+5), but Moscow is in UTC+3. Hmmm.... Methinks a plot is afoot... So I wrote back and asked could she explain why her messages were not coming from Moscow, and that I'd know what it meant if she never replied. And, of course, she didn't. I finally wrote again to tell her she could be so much more than a thief, and that I could only send my pity for the kharma she'd have to live with eventually.

Morals for this story:

- No matter how sweet the pudding tastes, there is always a chance somebody poisoned it.

- A fool and his money....yada yada

- If something sounds good, be careful. If it sounds great, you are probably just about ripe to be screwed over. If it sounds incredible, run the other way.

Anybody got more morals for this story?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, most people I know who are saavy at Internet dating (whether it's guys or girls) insist on webcamming with the other person before meeting, so then you don't get any surprises (ie. she posts pictures of herself at 18 when she is 28 now, he posts pictures of himself before the car crash where his face got burnt off).

I personally completely avoid Internet dating. If you can't wheel girls in real life, then work on that instead.

• Members

Just the phrase "cute Russian girl" rings loud warning bells.

Maybe I read too much crime news.

And with regards to internet dating... I'd be plenty wary in general. Hell, most of those ads on MySpace are enough to scare me off, right there... ;)

• Members

Wouldja believe--- yeah??

I have a buddy who is a total lover of these Russian girls. He's kind of a rough Harley dude, a "diamond in the rough", as they say, he is sincere and basically a good person.... even kinda handsome in a beat-up Harley way; but, lordy, his language would scare away any girl: it's rough as a corncob.

So, for a period of three or four months, I sort of played Cyrano de Bergerac with him with these chicks (and by the way, many of them truly are stunningly beautiful... elegant and Euro-languourous, serious self-composed in a way-- forgive me for saying so-- that few American young women are, with their ghetto/cellphone slanginess and Manolo Blahnik superficiality). I would help my buddy type emails to them, and basically say the same thing he wanted to say, but try to sweeten and punch it up a bit.

Over this time, we wrote to about eight girls steadily. Two of them we actually telephoned, waking them up in some ungodly Russian hour, and exchanged a few cordial, if slightly awkward, sleepy pleasantries.

To make a long story short? I came away from this experience convinced that these girls DO exist.... they're not hookers, and, for the most part, they were fairly honest with the stuff they said. These girls are usually very intelligent, have a pretty good command of English (usually, not always). Some even carry advanced degrees. I tend to be a fairly good judge of human character, and, I did not get the feeling I was being lied to.

It's equally true, though, that these girls tend to have glamorous ideas about America and the American capitalistic system. And if an American man is an ugly abusive boor, sloth, cheapskate or bore, she can be in for a rude awakening when she gets here.

That said, I think that so-called "mail order brides" can indeed be had.... It's been done before-- I've met two such women in California. But you have to do it via a respectable middleman agency. They can be found online, and establishing an excellent, waterproof relationship with them is first priority. Just sending American dollars--- or even airplane tickets-- to the girls themselves is not the way to go about doing this.

P.S. Russian women drink. A lot.

• Members

My story (and I'm sticking to it)

I have been using an internet dating service, and last week got a reply from a very cute girl (or at least somebody with lots of photos of a very cute girl) whom I engaged in an extended email interchange. After doing this for a while, she said she wanted to come to visit, and had all her travel documents in order.

A couple days later, she said she'd flown to Moscow and was finalizing travel arrangements. The next day she emailed an airline itinerary, and was planning to come to visit till June 24. But she said she was seriously low on funds, and wanted help - - she asked me to wire her money to get the ticket....

I got to thinking about this a bit, and started wondering why on earth somebody would travel all the way from eastern Siberia to Moscow without enough airfare to complete the trip. So I looked over her messages again, and found every one of them were from the Uzbekistan time zone (UTC+5), but Moscow is in UTC+3. Hmmm.... Methinks a plot is afoot... So I wrote back and asked could she explain why her messages were not coming from Moscow, and that I'd know what it meant if she never replied. And, of course, she didn't. I finally wrote again to tell her she could be so much more than a thief, and that I could only send my pity for the kharma she'd have to live with eventually.

Morals for this story:

- No matter how sweet the pudding tastes, there is always a chance somebody poisoned it.

- A fool and his money....yada yada

- If something sounds good, be careful. If it sounds great, you are probably just about ripe to be screwed over. If it sounds incredible, run the other way.

Anybody got more morals for this story?

uukeeeeeeeeeeeey!! where are the pics?? :D :D

• Members

That said, I think that so-called "mail order brides" can indeed be had.... It's been done before-- I've met two such women in California.
But you have to do it via a
respectable
middleman agency. They can be found online, and establishing an excellent, waterproof relationship with them is first priority.
Just sending American dollars--- or even airplane tickets-- to the girls themselves is
not
the way to go about doing this.

P.S. Russian women drink. A
lot.

Agree 100%. I met a girl this December while in San Diego who is from the Ukraine, she's a "mail order bride" that married a friend of a friend and she was great. Sweet, kind, well educated, smart, warm, loving, beautiful.

We got along really well and so we talked about it a lot and she said there's tons of girls like her in the Ukraine and she was even thinking of setting up an agency to bring girls over but she would screen the guys because her fear in coming over was exactly what you said, that the guy would turn out to be a total boor. She would basically service the computer geek/engineer community in California, lots of smart decent-looking guys there that make good money working for great companies, are clean, polite, honest and just want a good traditional woman with traditional values and no drama (instead of the screwed up entitlement princesses that grew up reading Cosmo, watching Sex in the City and look up to Paris Hilton and Britney as role models - sorry to say but these women are severly damaged and are no good to anyone looking to build a long term relationship) but would not be desired by those aforementioned western women because they are not a bad boy with a 12" dick and a trust fund (and even that would not be good enough for them).

• Members

I'm no expert on this, but I had a good friend that went to Russia on his own, traveling to all the towns where he met women on the internet. He also had to see the Kremlin and Hermitage, so that planned into his scheme.

To make a long story short, he did find a young lady and eventually she did come to the US and they are happily married. Exactly how he worked-out the difficulties, I don't know, but he couldn't speak the language and he didn't do the dating/marriage service. I thought he was quite mad at the time, but I think his need was greater than fear of failure and I think thats just too cool.

From what all he talked about his plans and adventure to Russia, I had a totally new respect for this guy, he really went to see the real thing and got what he wanted.:eek:

• Members

It's a completely different culture in some parts of Europe it seems. People seem to value intelligence and compassion more, rather then beat it down like it's some sort of horrible attribute to have. I've spoken to some very interesting women from there.

• Members

This is a scam. A very common one. Mail order brides are doable my brother has one and it worked out great for him. But he flew to the philipines to meet her first. Never, I mean NEVER send someone you don't know money via western union. I'm telling you this is a very common setup. If you send the money, you have no guarantee she'll even get on the plane. For that matter this could be some greasy fat dude who lives down the street from you.

• Members

This is a scam. A very common one. Mail order brides are doable my brother has one and it worked out great for him. But he flew to the philipines to meet her first. Never, I mean NEVER send someone you don't know money via western union. I'm telling you this is a very common setup. If you send the money, you have no guarantee she'll even get on the plane. For that matter this could be some greasy fat dude who lives down the street from you.

This is the kind of thing I was thinking about.

That said, I've had a few aquaintences out here in Cali who tried the legitimate mail-order bride thing, often they seemed to have been looking for docile, go-along girls... and that is not necessarily what they got. Several ended up with strong-minded Filipinas who got what they wanted and then dumped the guys -- but not without making sure they would be getting custody of the kids (in one case probably a very good thing) and alimony (or whatever they call it nowadays). Mind you, I am not necessarily putting blame on anyone, here. Just trying to observe.

But I have known a couple of these marriages that sort of worked. I wouldn't say romantic love played any part in them, though.

Call me cynical.

I think Jimbroni's got the right idea: do not send money to people you don't really know.

But people do the damnedest things: I just read a few days ago about a city official (forget where) who bankrupted his township by sending hundreds of thousands of dollars to a Nigerian scam artist. A UCI professor was supposedly scammed out of 3 million dollars in a Nigerian scam.

• Members

lol, I can't believe I'm comparing a woman to a guitar but like buying a guitar, you definitely want to "play the guitar" in person before you make the deal. That imo is just a given.

If you are going to marry someone from abroad, you definitely want to go there, meet the girl, meet her friends and family, find out if you have chemistry.

That said, imo the best thing to do would be to just go to those places and meet someone there, rather than do a mail order bride kind of deal.

• Members

24279.jpg

Point taken, Ustad. :lol:

PLAYBOY and GGW, et.al. have so often celebrated the blue-eyed blonde as the pinnacle of female beauty; but, to me, the long cool brunette-- exactly like the lady in this photo, is the ne plus utra....

P.S. This particular lady looks very much like the great-but-underrated white soul singer of the 60's, Evie Sands.

• Members

Anything where you haven't even met the person, you really have to be extremely careful, especially when they are asking you for money. Meet on the internet, sure, but at some point, meet in person, get to know the person, and don't rush anything. And don't let your blinders go up just because the person really seems into you and is attractive. If it's a scam artist, they've practiced being attractive to people already. I know this seems like really obvious advice, but when you are involved in one of these, it may seem to "real" and "personal" to be a scam. Just be careful.

And for anyone else...you've seen my beautiful picture...how 'bout that plane fare money? :D

And Rasputin...I strongly prefer brunettes as well. Just a preference. Don't mean anything ultimately, but just a preference. But what's GGW?

• Members

You definitely learned to be extremely wary of scam artists looking for you to part with your hard-earned money.

For anyone who hasn't, this is a picture of me. I don't have airfare to get to where you are. Will you send me some money?

24279.jpg

UUUUU!! Ken you are so beautiful!! HOW MUCH??? :D :D

Archived