ebay search now suck more

blind radish

• Members

Is it just that I have not been on ebay in a while, or did they find a way to make searching suck even more

previously, you had the brand categories down the left side ... so you could click on fender, or PRS or Gibson

now you get none of those, unless I'm blind.

harder to find items you are looking for ...

• Members

They were still there last night, but now they're gone. What is their rationale for making it harder to search for something?

I suppose they think if you have to look through a bunch of other stuff, you may see other items you want to buy.

I just type the keyword for what I want in the search box.

• Members

Looks like it was done on purpose, it's listed under the General Announcements section

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

We're adding more instrument categories, improving groupings, and removing brand categories.

and doing what we do best at eBay ... we're F8@king up a good thing

• Members

Here is why they are doing this- they are now using "buyer satisfaction ratings" as the main way to sort for items. This means if you have a low rating you will get less hits thru the search process and vice versa. They have ruined ebay, that is all you can say. They are the most hated company in America and it is going to get worse.

• Members

I love reading these threads. I never got the FleeBay addiction. It was the last place I'd look for something I wanted. Now I only go look at some god awful wreck someone here points me to or to see what wackily assembled "relic" which it isn't is now topped elebenteen thousand dollars. Every time one of these threads comes up I'm glad I don't have to ween myself off of it.

And no, the changes make no sense to me either.

• Members

I had did a live email with them just a half hour after the change was made. I suggested to the rep the person in charge of authorizing this change should be fired. The person that came up with the idea should be hung by the balls. "What idiots" Are they Nutz!

• Members

I'm so close to kicking the addiction ....

This will make it easier for me to do the same. Just before they made the change, I decided to browse Fender amps. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just wanting to see if I came across anything interesting. Well, I did. I came across an amp labeled as a '65 Deluxe Reverb in the header, but it wasn't a real Fender - it was a hand-wired PTP repro with in tan tolex and oxblood made by a custom amp builder. I put it on my watch list and may end up pulling the trigger. My three current Fender amps are blonde/tan/brown tolex - I'm a sucker for Fender amps and I like the vintage look. This amp wouldn't have come up in a Fender search, because it didn't have Fender in the listing caption. It popped up because the seller chose to include it in the Fender category when he listed it.

Bottom line is that "browsing", as opposed to "searching", is a thing of the past, at least the way I practice it. So my addiction will be cured quickly.

Ebay isn't really an auction site in the sense it once was. It's really just a volume-seller-centric online marketplace. I've heard various explanations for the change, but I'm betting it's because the power-sellers' pedaling cheap stuff buried in the "other" category bitched enough to get the brand categories removed. Ebay is all but run by the volume sellers at this point; the attitude seems to be "buyers be damned."

I don't buy the explanation that it was done so that sellers with higher buyer satisfaction ratings would appear higher in the listings. That might be useful for people looking to buy commodity items where sales are dominated by high-volume power sellers, but how does it help when you're trying to browse, or when the item you're looking for is just as likely to be offered by a casual seller as some online store with 6,000 ratings covering everything from guitars to cufflinks?

• Members

why even bother shopping on ebay for anything music related, anytime you go on there its just some retard going OMG VINTAGE FENDER WITH SOME GHEY COLOUR LOLOOL ONLY 15K BUY IT NAO!! LOLER ROFLS. I am seriously starting to doubt the ability to get any kind of deal on ebay if its in relation to music.

Archived