New amp! Sunn content....

Clyde42

• Members

Dang! My Photobucket album shows this right side up, but here it is on its side. Tried fixing it, cannot seem to get it to work. Sorry!

All tube. Sounds kinda like a Fender fighting with a Marshall!

EDIT: Fixed!

• Members

My very first amp was a Sunn Stinger 60.

It was a big bang for the buck amp, but sounded a bit PA-ish and broke up too quickly.

If I remember correctly, it only cost me $150 but that was a chunk of change back in '84

• Members

Sweet. And thank god for casters!

I've been using a Sunn Coliseum 300 head for bass, and a Solos II for lap steel. I just scored a clean Beta Lead head for a whopping $35, although I really should count the cost of contact-cleaner spray and the hour spent removing a hideous sticker. The original owner bought it new in '79 and only used it sporadically since as it was "too loud."

• Members

I just scored a clean Beta Lead head for a whopping $35, although I really should count the cost of contact-cleaner spray and the hour spent removing a hideous sticker.

Nope, can't count that. Against the rulez!

So I guess you have a $35 amp, huh? :D

So sad...

• Members

Nope, can't count that. Against the rulez!

So I guess you have a $35 amp, huh?
:D

So sad...

I know, sucks to be me. It was a random craigslist find and the brand/model wasn't even listed, so imagine my surprise. I wanted a cheap backup amp for some upcoming gigs and would have settled for say, a Crate or Behringer. It seems to live up the hype so far in conjuring up the dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom.

Tight low-end, ridiculous output, and "unique" distortion. I'm running it into a mystery 80's Fender 1x15 folded horn cab and it moves some serious air on "2." I'm digging the reverb, too, very versatile.

• Members

Thanks for the posts folks!

This amp is in super good condition and sounds killer! All original(one reconed speaker though), no tears or scrapes, no rust on the transformers or chassis, even the cover and footswitch are super clean. The original owner bought it new back in the day, and consigned it where I work a few months ago. My boss actually sold it to this guy when it was new! I jumped on it right away when it came in, but only brought it home a few days ago. I likes me some tall amps! It will look cool next to my Quad Reverb.:love:

• Members

Congrats!

(o)(o)

It's very similar in styling to my pre-'69 Sunn 200S head, which is my main rig:

Whats the wattage on it?

I think mine is in the 60W range.

The Solarus is 40 watts from 2 EL34s. Mine has old(healthy) Mullard 6CA7s.

I almost had a 200s, but it blew up after 10 minutes of play, prior to exchanging funds! I thought it would be cool head to experiment with OD/distortion/fuzz pedals on like my Ampeg V4s.

• Members

The Solarus is 40 watts from 2 EL34s. Mine has old(healthy) Mullard 6CA7s.

I almost had a 200s, but it blew up after 10 minutes of play, prior to exchanging funds! I thought it would be cool head to experiment with OD/distortion/fuzz pedals on like my Ampeg V4s.

I've been using mine as my main rig in all 3 bands, it doesn't get an overdrive sound on it's own but with just a little push from a pedal it does 70's classic rock/early punk perfectly. And although the cleans aren't perfectly clean as by Fender standards, I like them with a smidge of grit.

BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

Archived