Can anyone recomend me a good acoustic guitar?

jroutley

• Members

Okay, I play electric guitar (as you can probably tell) and want to get into acoustic territory.

So, i want:

a cheap, good, bang for the buck acoustic guitar which will get me up to intermediate levels of playing (i honestly don't think i'm going to take it that seriously, just mess about on, but i want something that feels and plays well)

something with steel/bronze strings (whats the difference, feel/tone wise?)

A smaller body would be good, as would a cutaway

Prefrably something with a pickup, but this isn't essential

I was thinking something along the lines of a yamaha, cos theyre good, and relitavly cheap.

so, what should it be?

thanks a lot.

• Members

I recommend that you post in the Acoustic Guitar forum next door. They're usually pretty helpful over there.

And I agree with your Yamaha choice. It's tough to go wrong with a Yamaha acoustic for a low cost guitar.

• Members

I picked up a brand new '02 Twentieth Aniversary S6 Canadian Made Seagull for 265 at a local store.

Absolutely beautiful looking, feeling, playing, sounding.

Solid spruce top and flammed maple sides and back over cherry. I call it "Blondy". It is awesome. Handmade and not a fortune.

Put a piano black soundhole humbucker pro mag plus pickup on it and play it thru a Crate Gunnison sixty watt two channel outstanding acoustic amp. I'm like devastated by its great sound and quality. The amp is way better sounding and has better features than the fifty watt Marshall to my eye and ear.

Bet you can find a Twentieth Aniversary edition with no major problem.

Duffy

• Members

I post in HCAG as well. Any of the Yamaha's are good, they are very well built and very well-liked for the money. You might also try Takamine, but they are optimized for amplicfication and some sound a bit dull strictly acoustic. Seagulls are very nice, but have very wide (1.75"+) chunky necks that people either love or hate. Any of the new Cort lines - Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick- are also well liked. Alvarez and Fender also make cheap acoustic lines, but are generally disliked at the other forum. But you can't go wrong with a Yammie. Both Yamaha and Takamine make smaller body models (OM and OOO size), some with cutaways. You can always add on-board electronics like a PU or preamp. Try to have enough $ to get one with a solid wood (usually spruce) top. All wood back and sides would be nice too, but not at very cheap prices, you'll get laminates. But the all wood top can sound very good on laminates too. Just won't age.

As for strings, most acoustic players prefer phosphour bronze (PB's) because they sound warmer and last longer (the strings are coated). Others prefer 80-20 bronze, which are brighter and uncoated. Lots of the makers are now making "extended play" or "EXP" sets, which I think sound dead, but which others like. Smaller guitars should usually be strung with "lights" (.012-54) and drednaughts usually with "mediums" (.013-56).

• Members

Takamine makes a G series which are pretty decent for around $300 or less. Washburn has always made a pretty fair entry level acoustic. I think somebody else already mentioned Yamaha.

When I say entry level, I mean at least $200, more like 250-300. Anyhting below that brand new in a shop is usually starter kit quality.

• Members

Another vote for Yamaha, and Seagull orTakamine

Another line that gets alot of good reports is Recording King

http://www.recordingking.com/index.html

http://theunofficialblueridgeguitarforum18213.yuku.com/forums/68/t/Recording-King-and-Greg-Rich.html

Do not know what you can spend but alot of the BlueRidge line is nice, and they have some lower end stuff that is supposed to be decent as well.

http://theunofficialblueridgeguitarforum18213.yuku.com/forums/63/t/Blueridge-Guitars.html

As far as the mention of Fender acoustics, Yes many turn their noses at them, But I have played a couple that were pretty nice.

• Members

I would only post on this thread if you gave me a price limit, because I might for example recommend the Epiphone Masterbilts which would be pointless if you weren't up to coughing up 5 or 6 bills.

IMO, going cheap on an acoustic is a false economy, but Yamaha I believe shines in that department. But Washburn has also been offering some good deals lately. But do at least try to score a solid top guitar. The tone improves with age more with a solid top than a laminate top.

Just went browsing and don't see any of the $200 Washburn solid top acoustics, but did find this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-?sku=516865

Not bad at $379 including A/E + HSC

• Members

i have the seagull rustic mini jumbo and it is a fabulous guitar, under 250. other seagulls are great too and all are made in canada not in asia. amazing prices too. martin has the 000x1 and dx1 for around 500. GC has exclusives on similar type martins and they play great. solid tops laminated backs (that goes for the seagull mini jumbo too.)

• Members

I have had this since I was 7 years old, that means I have had it for 27 years. Very nice and gets better with age, has lots & lots of dings, fretboard wear, filled in hole on the side, and scratchers, so yes, yamaha is the way to go.

YamahaFG_web.jpg

If you can afford $1200 than a Maton M325C - I have had this since 1996

zMaton2_web.jpg

• Members

Alvarez Masterworks model. I have the folk-bodied cutaway, MF80C. Comes with an undersaddle pickup and unusually good electronics. The preamp includes an excellent tuner that's very handy -- cuts off the volume for stage tuning. Good EQ controls.

Solid wood top, sides and back. Smaller than a dreadnought. Very fine sounding. I've had mine for 5-6 years or so. If you don't want to pay what the Masterworks cost ($700 or so) then try the artist line. Same electronics, very good sounding, $250 or so cheaper.

• Members

In that price range, Yamaha are a safe bet. Whatever is better than a yammie implies a long search and numerous visits to music stores to find the gem (and it is somewhere but where?).

Stay away from guitars that put too much emphasis on the looks and end up playing and sounding like crap (Cort could be an example of this). This is what's good about Seagull: they have little in the eye candy department but sound and play very good. Also a good choice along with Yammies.

• Members

I have had this since I was 7 years old, that means I have had it for 27 years. Very nice and gets better with age, has lots & lots of dings, fretboard wear, filled in hole on the side, and scratchers, so yes, yamaha is the way to go.

YamahaFG_web.jpg

Sorry, where are the dings, scratches and fretboard wear? :confused:

• Members

Seagull S6 - killer guitar.. $379

302784.jpg

Seagull S6+CW - killer guitar, with cutaway and electronics.. $699

321704.jpg

I didn't see where you specified a price range, so I went with what I'd buy for under a grand..

EDIT: Oh, and someone suggested crafter. Normally, I'm pretty down on MIC and MIK stuff, but I've played those Crafter guitars at a local mom and pop, and they're quite nice. Good action, good sound, good looks, great price. Not something I'd buy for myself, but they're quite nice. Another brand to consider is Carvin. Carvin imports their acoustics from China where Cort makes them and they've got excellent reviews. Never played one, but I have played a few Corts and they make a pretty nice guitar, despite the historic reputation of "cheap Sears catalog {censored}".. They've really changed their business model into something really respectable.

• Members

The person above me suggested Seagull. I have owned one myself, they are outstanding quality for the money. Great guitars.

But if I had a choice I would pick up one of these (Silver Creek T-160, $299.99 with a nice free strap):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-All-Solid-SpruceMahogany-OOO-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512727

505330.jpg

All solid wood, and I have heard some very good things about these guitars. Here are the specs:

Total playing comfort and great tone!

The Silver Creek T-160 Mahogany Auditorium Acoustic Guitar features a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back & sides. The traditional auditorium body size and wider fingerboard make it ideal for finger-style playing. Silver Creek guitars feature the same quality materials and construction found on many high-end guitars but without a high-end price.

Silver Creek T-160 Acoustic Guitar Features:

Body Style: Auditorium

Top: Solid Spruce

Back & Sides: Solid mahogany

Neck: Mahogany

Scale Length: 24.9"

No. of frets: 20, open 14

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Fingerboard Inlays: Mini Dots

Headstock Overlay: Rosewood

Headstock Inlay: Silvercreek logo with Decorative Inlay

Nut width: 1-3/4"

Neck width at body: 2-3/8"

String spacing at saddle E-E: 2-5/16"

Binding: White with Black/White Purfling

Rosette: Ringed

Bridge: Rosewood

Pickguard: Tortoise Shell

Width at Upper Bout: 11-3/8"

Width at Lower Bout: 15-1/4"

Maximum Depth: 3-7/8"

Finish: Gloss

Tuners: Chrome

Here is a thread from a fellow forum member talking about his new Silver Creek:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897556

Also, if you buy the D-160, it qualifies for the $30.00 mail in rebate!:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-D160-Solid-SpruceMahogany-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=512725

497243.jpg

• Members

I have owned several sub $800.00 acoustics in the last 2 years.

My absolute favorite bang for the buck is Blueridge. I have a BR-40 which has Solid Spruce top with laminate mahogany back and sides. I got it for $369.00 at my local Ma and Pa shop with no case (already had one) They're $449.00 with a hardshell on MF.

My 2nd choice is the Seagull S6 like several others have mentioned. I found the "slim" neck model cause the standard S6 was just too wide for me. It has a cedar top with cherry laminate back and sides.

I have also owned Yamaha and Alvarez. I would put Alvarez last based on the one I had.

The Blueridge has a bone nut and saddle and big tone. I have it and the Seagull still. They're both great

Archived