• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
the Princeton is probably #1 on a lot of peoples lists, great amp
:thu:

Thanks my friend.
This is the Perfect amp.
The sound, tone, reverb, the weight.
Hell, even the jewel light is easy to change.
Just unscrew the jewel and pop the bulb out.
I was afraid I would have to pull the chasis, like other amps, just to change the bulb.
Since getting this I've considered selling or trading my 59 Bassman Ltd., which I absolutly love, but not as much as this PR.
I have this amp on 4-5 hours a night with no problems at all.
They just don't make em' like this anymore.

• Members

Clean: Fender Twin Reverb Master Volume with JBL-120 factory upgrades.

Messy: Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series 2203 with Vertical Inputs (this means 1985 or older, I believe.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

59 Bassman.

The very first true Tube Amp I ever played out of. I remember being at the store, just grabbing a MIA Sunburst strat and plugging it into a Tweed 59 Bassman 4X10 and got the Gods of Tone singing. absolute amazing. I want to buy one very soon and do the mod on it to make it growl on command while still singing that oh so beautiful vintage fender tone. Shuddering thinking about it. Its the kind of tone revelation that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your heart rate increase

+1 to that. i played an original tweed bassman and it changed my life.

• Members

My all-time favorite amp has always been and will always be a Fender Twin Reverb. I love the one I own which is a Original 67, well the 3-prong and the speakers are not original. The Utahs sucked anyway, I still have one of the originals. But all else is original. A little smoke damage to the Cloth and a dime size tear in front, but this baby has all the hot {censored} parts in it also. Only thing I really liked in the Twins which mine does not have..................The JBL speakers, I believe those were stock in 69 though?

Photo0110.jpg

The Twin Reverb is whats considered a Blackliner. All the serials match and Date the amp to April of 1967 when Fender actually started building the Silverface's. Well anyway the very first Silverface's were called Blackliners. They have Black silkscreened lines on the front Silverface [which come off easiyl also] and a drip edge around the speaker cloth. Those are the dead giveaways.

The Blackliners, well at least the early one's were completely BLACKFACE AMPS, except the Silver face plate. When it comes to RARE? These are the rarest of any Fender amp.

But as I said earlier. as far as for tone? For STOCK Twins I liked the 69 JBL loaded TRs. I have a set of EV's in mine which many feel are similiar to the JBLs. To me they are OK but I still would prefer the D-120's.

• Members

I grew up on this Bandmaster/Reverb 1/2 stack. I sold it to a friend who still owns it. Head and cab, But I picked up this head around 2000 for $400 in MINT Cond. Still has the original Tubes in it and 2-prong cord. This one is original 100%. I tried to buy my original back? But thats not gonna happen. So I did the next best thing and found a BETTTER MODEL.

No Cab as of yet, But the Peavey is loaded with Jensens as the original was.

Photo0091.jpg

This ones a 69, my original was a 68. But this is not a Bastarized design by Fender. The Bandmaster/Reverb made its debut in 1968. So they are identicle from 68, to 69, to 70. Where as a Twin Reverb or any original Blackface Fender would have slowly but surely been bastarized as each year passed. First the Specs, then the Cloth Insulated wiring than the more expensive Blue Caps, the the more expensive Trannys etc etc.

But the B/Rs were a favorite of players back in the day. Many felt it was a Super Reverb in a Head version. Though the SR had a much bigger Tranny. MOST Bandmaster/Reverbs are now being made into Super Reverbs though.

• Members

Also as far as favorites go? I simply LOVE playing through my VOX Valvetronix 50 watt. Its really my basement fool around with, practice amp. I originally had the Vox on side of the room[narrow side] and my TR Fender on the other side facing the Vox. I would set the Vox for the Twin Reverb model and then A/B the REAL Twin with the Vox. After a little dialing in, the Vox gets a VERY convincing Twin Reverb model! Its been a fav of mine since then. And the ONLY modeling amp I have kept for more than 6ths. And I just about played and owned all of them. The Cyber Twin was cool for Fender Tones. But it still didn't get as good a Twin Reverb Tone as the VOX. Its Super Reverb, Bassman, and Deluxe were spot=on. But the Twin? Not so.IMHO.

• Members

^^My cousin still has his Bandmaster stack that he bought in '72 along with a white tele from the same year. I love that setup.

Yes Doc, they were a Very underated Amp. I was young and that was the first amp I used to Gig with.

The Reverb on them with the cab was just unreal.

Though mostly you see them standing on their sides on stage, with the head on top. They were really designed to stand length wise. Well they have Spring Loaded attachments for the cab. So you can screw the head to the cab and it would be securely on. That would be the Top which is on the narrower part of the cab.

They certainly look Cool the other way though.

I have also seen a player alter the B/R head and add a set of small speakers right into the head. There is actually enough space to do so. Not 10's or anything like that. Bu a set of 8's or 6's would work. I forget what he used. I want to say 8's but I believe 6's?

Anyway it gave him a decent little practice amp this way. Mine's in much to good of shape to even think of cutting holes in. I wouldn't anyway.

• Members

If Blackface Fender's are what you LUST for. I would BUY THEM NOW. The price's really are NOT bad.

I played a all original Blackface 66 Twin Reverb the other day that was for sale. The fellow wanted $1800.

In 2000 and around then when I was spending a LOT of time searching around for them. They were at $1200-$1500. The Super-Reverbs seamed to go a bit higher. But not much. All the Blackface heads, Bassman, Bandmasters were all realitively cheap at $300-$400.

Those have jumped considerably. Right now Small Combo Fenders are in demand. And bringing in good bucks.

• Members

i'd be hard pressed to find an amp i love more than my JCM SLASH.

Those are basically Jubilee's with a little work done to them and more output.

I went the whole full circle with amps. And played the JCM-800 and JCM-900's. Matter of fact I used the 800 and the Twin with a A/B/Y switch. That was the best LIVE TONE I have ever had.

I had a Strat stolen at a show and from them on I started downsizing to Combo's. FOOLISHLY I sold the 800 and decided to go with the Twin Reverb and a Overdrive pedal [Different Pedalboard]. Which is basically what I am still doing. No need to carry all that {censored}. Overkill.....But GREAT Tone. I miss that 800/Twin-Reverb Tone.

• Members

I don't think I ever answered the question as to WHY I like the Vox AC30, but to me, it has the sweetest tone that mere mortal humans could have and ever will create. It's hard to find a bad sound on the top boost channel, and when you mix the normal (brilliant) and the top boost with a short lead and turn the amp up about 1/2 way with the bass and treble balanced just right for the room, you get a sparkly, intense, complex clean tone with even order harmonics dancing off of those two Celestion Blues.

I may never be able to buy an original from the 60's, but my 2003 English made AC30TBX has some (perhaps most) of the magic. With an ash bodied, maple boarded strat, played through a good quality analog delay set at about 400ms, and using the mid/bridge pickup selection, you cannot help but have an emotional response to what you hear from your brain to your fingers to the strings and finally radiating, like pure light, from the front of the cabinet. Turn the Top Boost Volume for a little more grit. Tame the high end harshness with the Cut control.

I played my Gretsch 6120 through my AC30 a couple of weeks ago:

Gretsch 6120 through 2003 Vox AC30TBX (made in England)

6120b.jpg

studio1.jpg

I ended up selling five amps and seven guitars to fund the handwired AC15 h1TV and the handwired Marshall 18 watt mini plexi. I also used the proceeds to buy the Gretsch Elliot Easton and my surprisingly excellent Brian May Guitar (Korea with US Kent Armstrong Tri Sonic reissues). I still had a bit of cash so I bought a boutiqe pedal that emulates Brian May's treble boos for the normal channel on the Vox, and I bought a Visual Sound H20 pedal with an outstanding vintage voiced echo (edgy, that one is) and a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. I have a Aphex opto-coupled compressor (very low noise and transparent) and a full on plexi sounding preamp by Radial Tonebone.

In short, the AC30 does it all, and with a good attenuator, small gigs and recroding studios are fine. But you have to let this one heat up. If start smelling slightly burned tolex, dust, hair, fake fingernails, and twenty-five year old beer that just never came off completely, you're smelling tone. It's pungent and mystical; moreover, it's more addictive than crystal meth. And like the drugs, this amp will evetually take you for everything you own.

At first it's all fun---hooray, new tubes day!

Then the voice coil on one of the speakers goes down like a 50 year old hooker.

Pretty soon, a cap here, a resistor there, Finally the day comes for the fateful full overhaul.

Nip/tuck and she's back in business. But dammit. That new speaker doesn't mesh well with the 40 year old relative. So you start scouring Denmark Street in London for a repacement from the same era. No cheaping out now, you've come too far.

Then some tech shows you how he can replace the trannies with original NOS Dagnall. Now you're doing the vintage amp horse dance. Just like heroin, the amp will soon take your money, your family, and your health. And speaking of your health, those four bad disks in your lower back aren't getting any better carrying this 80 pound wonder all over your town.

So now, broke, cofused, depressed, you turn to the only thing you know to ease your pain--your SX Strat copy. You plug into the big black, brown and copper machine. You convince him that the SX will do no harm. Wind up for a huge power chrod, and whahaaaaaaaaaaaaaang pophiscrackleikkyprick pffffffft. Silence. Got a spare fuse?

I'm going to bed while I'm still stoned. Tomorrow's my golf day. Now talk about another money pit, if you could see how many drivers, putters, and utility clubs I've gone through. Whew. They are loaded in my car which is another money pit (vintage mercedes two-seat roadster). It needs new weather stripping and a new canvas top so that I don't ruin this $2000 sound system that I sunk into the car.

I'm depressed. But my son and I are going to see Iron Maiden on Sunday in Albuquerque. We're gonna sta an extra day and play some golf

• Members

Those are basically Jubilee's with a little work done to them and more output.

yup, exactly. technically, it's just considered a 2555 reissue. but, having had an original jubilee, it definitely has more bite to it.

it covers all the ground i really need; so it's perfect for me. and a tad bit more refined than a good ol jcm800.

• Members

I have only been playing for about 5 years for "All-Time favorite" will be subject to change.

Right now, my favorite is my 1992 Peavey Classic 50 head played through my Crate G212 slant cabinet. The cleans with my Samick strat just makes me melt!

SamickSuperStrata.jpg

+

PeaveyClassic50a.jpg

= Sonic Joy

Archived