List Your All-Time Favorite Amp - and Why

GAS Man

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Simple one for me: My old early 80's Laney AOR. One channel,6 knobs.100 watts. Bought used in a Sam Ash in NYC in '87 for $100 because the clueless goober working the counter had no idea...lol
Over the years since,I've used it for everything from Metal,to Jazz to Country.
Spin one knob and I can go as clean as I want (more of a HI Watt clean than a Bassman though) to as dirty as I want. I've even used it to record my brother-in-law's Flamenco albums. peizo-equipped)-dispelling all the "cant get it clean" myths espoused by the folks who cant figure out how to twist a knob.
Has been the only amp I even bother with all this time,and have no intentions of ever replacing it. If anything Ill buy more of them from e-bay as spares lol.

• Members

2000 Orange AD30H - Without a doubt my favourite amp of all time.

Single channel, mid-gain head with a nice thick low-mid freq overdrive that never intrudes on, or covers up the character of the guitar or what you're playing. Ahhhhh, i just love it :D

for comparison, i have owned;
Marshall JTM-45,
Vox AC30,
Matchless DC30,
Matchless Phoenix30,
Orange AD30,
Orange Rocker30.

All Heads, suffice to say i am not a combo man, haha.

• Members
geetarrig2007005.jpg

VHT deliverance 60 (on top)

it's absolutely the most touch sensitive/responsive amp I've ever played. from clean to over-the-top gain just with a roll of the guitar volume knob/alteration of my picking attack. balanced and full yet cutting and extremely simple (single channel, no loop)

• Members

Mesa Boogie F-30 combo

This amp gives me the clean and distorted tones I've always wanted and is versitile enough to produce a good tone for any style I've attempted. It fits me better than any other amp I've tried.

previous amps

Fender Bassman 50 (silverfaced model)
Fender Princeton
Fender Bassman 100
Laney VC30
Line 6 Spider
Marshall AVT20
Gibson Falcon

• Members

Well I'd have to say my new Gilmore Jr!! :thu:

NEWGUITARDAY009_001.jpg

I do have a Pignose 60 watt (Why more people don't use these, I'll never know.) and a vintage Peavey Artist VT-120 1X12 (Great clean!) but I love the little Gilmore because it has that terriffic 'tweedy' tone, a usable progressive break-up and such a low output (1/2 watt) that I can actually use the darned thing!

• Members
carstrat.jpg

For right now my Classic 30. It's very portable, bullet proof, has 2 very usable channels and takes pedals well.I used to run a Marshall DSL-50 half stack now I use this little wander and a extensio cab when called for.

• Members

59 Bassman.

The very first true Tube Amp I ever played out of. I remember being at the store, just grabbing a MIA Sunburst strat and plugging it into a Tweed 59 Bassman 4X10 and got the Gods of Tone singing. absolute amazing. I want to buy one very soon and do the mod on it to make it growl on command while still singing that oh so beautiful vintage fender tone. Shuddering thinking about it. Its the kind of tone revelation that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your heart rate increase

Archived