List Your All-Time Favorite Amp - and Why

GAS Man

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only amp that I have owned in the last 15 years...the Blackheart BH5 combo. I like it because its simple, its tube, it was cheap and it really does sound like so much more than it is. I installed an attenuator into it and I can drive the crap out of it and keep it at a whisper if I want. Just massive sound with a lot of character and overtones for such a low price.

If I could choose any that I wanted though it would be a toss up between an AC30 and a HiWatt.

My bluefront Vox Valvetronix AD120VT 2x12 delivers a startlingly authentic AC30 model, as well it ought to -- but it sounds like a NEW AC30 RI rather than a genuinely worn-in old one.

My old man has one of those AD120VT's with a 4x12 cab. He was trying to push it on me at one point, but its so ungodly loud and I would never have played it. Takes up a lot of space too.

Its frickin impressive sounding though.

• Members

In short, the AC30 does it all, and with a good attenuator, small gigs and recroding studios are fine. But you have to let this one heat up. If start smelling slightly burned tolex, dust, hair, fake fingernails, and twenty-five year old beer that just never came off completely, you're smelling tone. It's pungent and mystical; moreover, it's more addictive than crystal meth. And like the drugs, this amp will evetually take you for everything you own.

At first it's all fun---hooray, new tubes day!

Then the voice coil on one of the speakers goes down like a 50 year old hooker.

Pretty soon, a cap here, a resistor there, Finally the day comes for the fateful full overhaul.

Nip/tuck and she's back in business. But dammit. That new speaker doesn't mesh well with the 40 year old relative. So you start scouring Denmark Street in London for a repacement from the same era. No cheaping out now, you've come too far.

Then some tech shows you how he can replace the trannies with original NOS Dagnall. Now you're doing the vintage amp horse dance. Just like heroin, the amp will soon take your money, your family, and your health. And speaking of your health, those four bad disks in your lower back aren't getting any better carrying this 80 pound wonder all over your town.

So now, broke, cofused, depressed, you turn to the only thing you know to ease your pain--your SX Strat copy. You plug into the big black, brown and copper machine. You convince him that the SX will do no harm. Wind up for a huge power chrod, and whahaaaaaaaaaaaaaang pophiscrackleikkyprick pffffffft. Silence. Got a spare fuse?

I'm going to bed while I'm still stoned. Tomorrow's my golf day. Now talk about another money pit, if you could see how many drivers, putters, and utility clubs I've gone through. Whew. They are loaded in my car which is another money pit (vintage mercedes two-seat roadster). It needs new weather stripping and a new canvas top so that I don't ruin this $2000 sound system that I sunk into the car.

I'm depressed. But my son and I are going to see Iron Maiden on Sunday in Albuquerque. We're gonna sta an extra day and play some golf

Doc, next time you have a problem I have a 2 word solution for you, Don Butler. Send him your amp in ugly Betty condition and he'll send it back Heidi Klum. You won't believe how good it will be. Better than new even. They don't call him "The Toneman" for nothing. I've heard so many testimonials about his work the first time my AC-30 goes down he's going to get it.

• Members
Can you explain why did you add that jumper?

I was just messing around with something I read somewhere. Putting that jumper there does cool things with the sound; both channels become used and sometimes it makes the sound a little more full. I'm not recommending it though because I'm not sure if it has negative affects on some amps; it's fun to play around with though. :thu:

• Members

My old man has one of those AD120VT's with a 4x12 cab. He was trying to push it on me at one point, but its so ungodly loud and I would never have played it. Takes up a lot of space too.

Its frickin impressive sounding though.

Doesn't have to be stupid loud. It has a voltage step-down switch on the back -- you can take it down from 60+60 to 30+30, 15+15 or even 1+1. Is your dad's the 2x12 combo with matching 2x12 extension cab, or the head plus 4x12? Either way, you don't have to run it at maximum wattage -- though (like the 'real' amps it models) it sounds its best with the master as far up as possible and the volume controlled via the gain.

Archived