List Your All-Time Favorite Amp - and Why

GAS Man

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

fender hot rod deluxe...turn down treble and bass, boost the middle and add some reverb and the tone i got out of it with my strat was and is unbelievable..i get aws everytime i play with someone...even from me....ive been using that amp with those same settings ever since

• Members

I havent owned a ton of different MFGs models. But of the ones Ive had the

Marshall Jubilee 50/100 I had in 90 was the most pleasing and tonefull amp I had ever owned.

Even moreso than the 80's 800's and 70's SL's I owned.

I havent quite found another vibe like her yet and at todays going rate I never will be able too own one again.

• Members

i'm officially in love with this amp:

266769.jpg

i will have it very soon.

Those BB combos keep going up in price. Better grab one quick! I have the 18 watter and some players would say that it has the best overdrive sound ever for recording. The bigger Bluesbreaker is a loud mofo.

• Members

Since I use a dually setup, I use that as an excuse to post my two favorite:

OrangeTT.jpg

Simply because its the ultimate machine for anything from slightly gritty clean to all out G'n'R rock!

A/B/Y'd with:

112-2.jpg

Quite possibly the most versatile amp on the planet: A Fenderish clean channel, Totally Marshall crunch channel, with a Mesa Boogie Dual-Rec. ultra channel. This thing literally does it all. And with all the tone shaping buttons and switches, it really does do anything in between.

--PB

• Members

I had Ampegs before the Mark III. And a tube Acoustic that was a Boogie concept clone with horrible components in a cool-looking package. I believe that Michael Hedges bought that amp a few years before Aerial Boundaries. I also had a Roland JC-120.

When I got the Mark III, pedal-based distortion was simply not cool. Distortion had to come from the amp. No one was considering that it wasn't true power amp distortion at that time. If it was good enough for Santana, Jerry Garcia, and Larry Carlton, it was good enough for me.

I've tried a bunch of amps since and always come back to the Mark III. I had a Roland VGA-5 and Yamaha DG80 modeling amps that I liked pretty well. Today I'm more interested in clean tone with plenty of headroom than distortion. The Mark III does that well too. And while it's a lot of fun to play around with the saggy tube rectifier thing, it doesn't really pertain to my style as well as the diodes.

The Mark III seems to have put on weight as I've gotten older. I replaced the EV12-L with a Celestion Century and lost about 10 pounds. Which reminds me - My second favorite amp: Studio 22+. Same general tone category as the Mark III at half the weight. A bit chimier maybe.

All that just really dates me - I'm sure there are lots of great amps that I'd love today. But between the Mark III and the Studio 22+, I have what I need.

• Members

Allen Encore.

mine is a Super Reverb in a 2x10 configuration, with a MV and RAW control (which takes out the tone stack, making it sound more tweed like as you turn it up).

its not a channel switching amp, but every last sound you could possibly want is in there. from jazz clean to marshall scream (with the right preamp tubes).

DSC_0190.jpg

• Members

Allen Encore.

mine is a Super Reverb in a 2x10 configuration, with a MV and RAW control (which takes out the tone stack, making it sound more tweed like as you turn it up).

its not a channel switching amp, but every last sound you could possibly want is in there. from jazz clean to marshall scream (with the right preamp tubes).

DSC_0190.jpg

Your guitar is absolutely gorgeous

• Members

The H&K zenTera is the best amp I've ever owned or played through. It does everything well and sounds more tube like than many tube amps.

Other amps I've owned:

H&K Switchblade 100W head

Vox AD120VTH Valvetronix head

Early 80's Marshall 50W JCM800 head, 1960A & 1960B cabs.

Marshall 50W JCM800 channel switching head (can't recall the model #)

ADA MP-1

Peavey 120W 2x12 tube combo (again can't recall the model #, sucks getting old)

Randall Commander 210

Fender blackface Bandmaster head w/ 2x12 cabinet

• Members

Those BB combos keep going up in price. Better grab one quick! I have the 18 watter and you some players would say that it has the best overdrive sound ever for recording. The bigger Bluesbreaker is a loud mofo.

You're not kidding about that. I could grill brats on my power soak after half an hour with that thing. I sure wish I still had that one.

My list:

Kendrick Black Gold

Silverface Super Reverb

Vox AC15

My Kendrick sits in the corner glaring at me....I blew it up a year ago and haven't gotten around to getting it fixed.

• Members

really difficult choice, but my current favorite is the old orange or120 i have.

just cause it's the type of amp that..well, it basically rips your head off when you turn it up - in a good way :o

love it.

a close second would be the marshall 30th anniversary, as it covers all the sounds i need and sounds great doing it.

• Members

My favorite amps that I've owned would be:

My Peavey Classic 30 cause it has a big PHAT warm tone especially when I hook up to an extension cab. Its great for blues, southern rock Allman Bros, or country. :love:

BlackDOTandClassic30lighened.jpg

My Marshall DSL 100 with 1960AV cab. It sounds HUGE and it's great for blues, country, classic rock and metal or whatever! :thu:

MarshallRig2-15-08.jpg

My Marshall MG half-stack I upgraded with Warehouse Speakers Veteran 30s. I can dial this in for HUGE tone! It really works the best with blues and classic rock. Metal sounds a little harsh with it... but it can be done. It gets a passable JCM 800 80's metal type tone.

DSC03313.jpg

I also love my Spider II 75 watt 1x12 with FBV Shortboard. It gets all the tones I need and works great for small gigs where I can't bring the halfstack... but need more versatility than the Classic 30 can provide.

DSC02948.jpg

• Members

My amp path to enlightenment over a 27 years period has been pitiful but I got there in the end !

10w Cub (no idea what happened to it and don't laugh I was only 12)

12w Marshall (traded in for s/h)

120w Carlsbro Stingray Super (s/s but I wish I still had it, traded in for)

40w Crate Stereo DSP thing (can't remember the model- still have it)

50w Vox Valvetronic (loved it but sold it to a mate when I bought)

30w Orange Rocker combo plus 1 x 12 cab (sort of a cool half stack)

- which is (obviously!) the best amp I have ever had - 2 channels of loveleyness and does super clean to filthy mcnasty and all points in between.

loud enough to gig but playable at house volume too.:thu:

• Members

Fave amp -- my 1969 Super Reverb (looks pretty much like the '73 pictured earlier in the thread) because its clean sound is juicy and funky without the sterility which so often afflicts clean tones, and it gets nicely 'vocal' when pushed into its break-up zone.

The one I most miss (and which I wish I still had) was a titanically battered early-60s piggyback (ie separate head'n 2x12 cab) AC30 -- for all the usual reasons why pfolks love AC30s.

My bluefront Vox Valvetronix AD120VT 2x12 delivers a startlingly authentic AC30 model, as well it ought to -- but it sounds like a NEW AC30 RI rather than a genuinely worn-in old one.

Archived