Essential Listening "Psychedelic" Albums?

Anderton

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey... no one's mentioned Ultimate Spinach! :eek:

Just kidding. ;)

But I actually owned (or perhaps still own, I hope) their first album (I think they had a second). I think my purchase of that album represented a hard-learned lesson about believing the rock reviews in Hi Fi Stereo Review... :D

• Members

Psychedelic... the genre that turned me away from my love of surf music (which I rediscovered several years ago).

you CAN [kinda] have it both ways, pick up reverend horton heat's lucky 7... its kinda rockabilly-ish [an offshoot of surf] and kinda psychedelic-ish. i have been listening to that a lot lately. hell, ANY of their albums really.

• Members

The Collectors : Grass and Wild Strawberries
Iron Butterfly : Ball
Plato and the Philosophers : 13 o clock flight to psychodelphia
Small Faces : Ogdens nut gone flake
Santana : Caravanserai (Not strictly psychedelic i guess, but one hell of a trip!)
Human Expression : Love at Psychedelic Velocity

• Members

Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from the Status Quo.

Also...

:thu:
Do you mean the 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus? Yeah, that
is
great. And fun to play - - some of those tunes had very unique harmonic & chord structure, like, 'Natures Way'

It wasn't their first, but 12 Dreams still stands as one of the best psychadelic records ever. A great record no matter how you look at it.

From Iron Butterfly, Heavy and Ball have to be counted.

• Members
Anyone remember Automatic Man? Sort of a funky Pink Floyd trip. I wish I could get that on CD.

Look here. http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Man/dp/B0001Q5YDG

I have a copy of the first record on CD. :love:

That was with Michael Shrieve on drums, Pat Thrall on guitar. An all time great record. :thu:

Check out that link. They claim to have 3 copies in stock.

• Members

I think that the most psychedelic music has been done by Daevid Allen in his several projects on the Canterbury school scene with the very early Soft Machine, his incredible "Banana Moon" that is one of the most lysergic things I've heard, the great Gong, and after the Here and Now (check "Floating Anarchy"), then with Bill Laswell and some other Material people....

I recently bought also the live DVD of a '77 concert by Steve Hillage (Gong guitarist) where he mainly plays tracks from the masterpieces "Fish Rising" and "L". Great, with a fantastic Clive Bunker on drums.

A lot of stuff begun with them.

• Members

They even throw in a dead-on "Herman's Hermits" send-up just for good measure.

yes yes yes, and listening to Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich after two sixpack and five schnaps while playing along with a sawtooth synth patch turning the filter knobs sounds pretty trance too.

There was another compact disk in the ninties of which people said that if you play the CD backwards, it plays satanic voices, but it was nothing, if you played it forward it installed Windows!

• Members

Chips from the Chocloate Fireball, of course, is a compilation of the two Dukes of Stratospheare relases, both of which I have on vinyl: the EP 25 O'Clock, which is far more self-consciosly stylized psychedelia (and somewhat lo fi) and Psonic Psunspot, a lush full length album on which the line between XTC and alter ego is quite blurry.

It was the cultish success of the Dukes--following the incredibly poor sales of Mummer and The Big Express--that rejuvenated interest in XTC and got Skylarking made, which many people (not me) consider to be their best.

Trivia: who is the drummer of the Dukes of Stratospheare? His code name is E.I.E.I Owen, but who is he really? Chime in XTC heads...and don't Google it...

• Members
Trivia: who is the drummer of the Dukes of Stratospheare? His code name is E.I.E.I Owen, but who is he really? Chime in XTC heads...and don't Google it...

It was Dave's little brother wasn't it*?

you can kinda see how Ian turned into EIEIan... EIEI Owen

The greatest drummer since Doktor Avalanche!!! :D

*come to think of it, I always just assumed he was younger, just cause that how it seems to work.."hey! you! play these -- may not be the younger in fact

Archived