Will 80's metal ever make a comeback?

fantastico

• Members

Actually 80's rock/metal is coming back since 12-15 yeard old's today are goin to all the 80's band reunion tours. Sure they all hear emo/punk and all these nu-metal bands (same bands that i love and adore) but the good thing is that it makes these kids look back to old bands since they're interested were the hell the rock scene of today came from.

And yes I might be considered an emo since I dress like an emo but no I dont kiss guys or use any make up. Oh and I love to sing screamo songs.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

my god there are quite a few bitter old 80's has beens on this board huh? Still bitter about grunge...trying to down play the impact it had. Upset because noodle guitar solo disappeared....(you can blame soundgarden for that one); got stuck in an era and became their parents.

Fact is metal totally deserved its death...BIG TIME. Bands like Ratt, Maiden, Priest, Twisted Sister, and all the rest of the early wave were awsome and fresh but then the whole genre just became a complete {censored}in parody of itself with absolutely pathetic {censored} being released. Metal was dead by 88 but people just couldn't let it go. Only G'n R and maybe skid row had anything decent to offer.

Seattle was an AWSOME wave of fresh air into a lifeless music scene and its "relevence" lasted everybit as long as hair metal. Actually longer. We are still somewhat living in "son of grunge" land today. 20 years after Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden layed the foundation. Hair metal was maybe 12 to 15 years?

And if you think I'm some young punk who doesn't "get it"...well you'd be wrong. I've seen maiden in their prime 3 times. I saw G'nR OPEN for Maiden when NOBODY knew who they were. Saw DLR, cinderella, def leppard, tesla, twisted sister, the cult, to name a few, and a slew of opening hair metal acts to obscure to remember (Waysted anyone?)

Anyone who can't move on when music shifts direction is sad in my books. Not really even into music.....just nostalgia.

• Members

seems like metal is always trying to out due the previous act. like, who can play faster....who has the most distortion. the tightest low-end. ya know what i mean?

i like the 80's metal ( well , sort of...)...but it seems like metal of this last decade has thrown the 80's scene out. unlikely to make a strong comeback

• Members

Hair metal is already back, the music that is, not the stupid trousers. I've heard at least two new bands this spring. Metal has never been more popular, and it seems to be room for lots of subgenres. What worries me, is how punk rock is doing. I haven't discovered a decent pop punk or hardcore band in years.

hc

• Members

Well just the other night my wife and I sat talking in the den with all the Poison ballads playing softly thru the system. Hair Metal has never died at my house, damn if it ever will :thu:

"Up all night, sleep all day!"

• Members

If I get my hair back then I say yes, please, come back. Invasion of Your Privacy is in the CD player in the car now, along with Pyromania and Diary of a Madman, But I've also got Tommy Emmanuel, Journey, and 3 Doors Down in there as well. 80's metal didn't die, it just lasted long enough. People like to bash guys like Britney Fox and Warrant, and I do too. I also realize that the 60s and 70s had their share of fag ass bands as well. I also believe that if wearing pants so tight people can see what I had for lunch will make me a millionaire then lemme have a blue pair please. 80s metal made a mark, and although it may in fact be a skid mark lots of the "metal" bands today cite them as influences.

Noob opinion only.

• Members
it better make a {censored}ing comeback...eddie is a god on earth

Of course you are speaking of Iron Maiden's Eddie, right? :p

The other one (of Eruption fame) is in the hard rock category w/AC/DC, GnR , and such. Although kick ass in his own right.

Now ...Saxon anyone...............?????

(inspired by someonme's old thread)

• Members

I would love to see a new wave of hair metal rockers! I'm in the process of resurrecting this genre (single handedly might I ad!) I feel like this whole rap thing is finally starting to get old with dumb white kids in America.

I mean really now, why wouldn't hair metal have died? When rap comes out, "Hey, I don't have to have ANY talent what-so-ever and I don't need any musical knowledge AT ALL." COME ON. Oh, and for the nay sayers, it's not a 'Black Thing'. R and B singers are talented, and Eminem sucks major ass IMO.

Modern rock bands that get it are bands like EdeverafteR, Blacktide, Airbourne, Jet, and Buckcherry. As of late, even Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold. Listen to these guys latest. They got the GrOoVe!

There needs to be a revolution here my friends! We're standing up for all that is pure with the metal world! Rock Ballads! ETC!! We start here on Harmony Central, the.... THE WORLD!

• Members

Actually, I'd like to see another period for Rock, Metal, Funk, Country, etc. like 1979-84. The early '80s remain my fave era for music. I'm sure a lot of it is rooted in my teenage years, but there was some damn fine music made back then, in my opinion. Plus, everything wasn't so negative. I know that's the times we're in now, but there seemed to be more fun and enthusiasm in music then.

Archived