i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
nothing's up with him now, he was BANNED
:thu:

To be honest though, I thought he made a lot of fairly sensible posts (at least at the start of the thread, then it descended somewhat... ;) )

If you ask for something and someone doesn't want to get you it---thats not something you should get annoyed about. If I had a jewish relative and I told them I wanted a ham sandwich for my birthday I wouldn't get pissed off if they decided not to get me it!!

Sam

• Members
To be honest though, I thought he made a lot of fairly sensible posts (at least at the start of the thread, then it descended somewhat...
;)
)

If you ask for something and someone doesn't want to get you it---thats not something you should get annoyed about. If I had a jewish relative and I told them I wanted a ham sandwich for my birthday I wouldn't get pissed off if they decided not to get me it!!

Sam

you have no idea what or whom you are talking about

• Members
Wassup Noobs? When did he get banned anyway?

not much, what's up Spark. long time no see....

he got banned for some other thread. guess the mods finally got tired of his holier=than-thou attitude...

i can't even remember the thread, but he basically joined up over at GC and sent me a couple of PM's, kinda apologizing... :freak:

• Members
not much, what's up Spark. long time no see....

he got banned for some other thread. guess the mods finally got tired of his holier=than-thou attitude...

i can't even remember the thread, but he basically joined up over at GC and sent me a couple of PM's, kinda apologizing...
:freak:

So deep down he was really a sweetheart. :love:

• Members

On one hand I agree with your girlfriend in that money and/or gift cards are a rather impersonal gift. On the other hand I agree with you in that once you get older you want to just get the stuff you want yourself. I'm 34 and don't need anything either. I only have wants and they are more expensive than most people are willing to spend. If everyone gives money, you're that much closer to getting those expensive wants on your list.

So don't be too hard on the girl. A lot of people really enjoy watching others open their gifts and such on xmas. Cards with money aren't as much fun to watch open.

Just my .02 though.

So? Grab a bigass box and a bunch of subsequently smaller boxes, put a bunch of money in the smallest box, and wrap each of 'em. That way you get the best of both worlds, person gets money instead of something they potentially don't want, and you get to see 'em unwrap stuff.

• Members
This is so f-ing retarded. My family is bugging me about what to get me for Xmas. Honestly, at 28, I don't need much. So I decided, f- it, I'll just ask everyone to give me money, and I'll go out and get a new guitar, which is really what I want. So I tell my girlfriend this five minutes ago, and she flips out, saying I don't get the "real meaning of Xmas" (lol) and that asking everyone for money is impersonal and unfair. My response was, c****, I'm 28 years old, I don't need to open **** under the tree on Xmas morning anymore, why not just give me money and I'll get what I want? Doesn't that make it easier for everyone? But no, I'm completely wrong and bla bla bla, so I hung up on her for making me feel like an asshole.

:confused:

At 28, if you want a guitar you should go buy a guitar. Sorry dude, but I agree with your girlfriend - asking people for money for Christmas misses the whole point of gift giving and besides it *is* unfair. When you buy someone a gift do you leave the price tag on it? No? Why not - because you don't want them knowing what you spent!! If you spent alot you don't want them to feel awkward, if you spent very little you don't want them thinking you're cheap... and apart from anything else the cost of the gift should be irrelevant, it's the thought that goes into it... it's an expression of what you think about a person - love, friendship etc. etc.

So now apply that to asking all your family for a money contribution - (a.) it puts them in a position where they have to think about the right amount of money to 'spend' on you i.e. put a price on your relationship. and (b.) takes away any fun they might have putting a bit of thought into a present to get you.

So basically your girlfriend is right - you're missing the entire point of christmas gift giving and being unfair on your relatives.

• Members

If you really want to appease her

1- ask for a bunch of {censored}

2- return said {censored} with gift receipts

3- use cash to buy your guitar

4- profit

haha, this reminds me of that south park with the underpants gnomes

1. collect underpants, 2...., 3. profit!

Archived