Best multi-instrumentalist?

Brew

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mark O'Connor also lays claim to being World Fiddle Champion (5 years running, until he retired from competition), World Flatpicking Champion, World Mandolin Champion (I believe two years running)...

... all before the ripe old age of 17. (never heard if he played keys, though... ;) ).

• Members

A former customer of mine, the little purple guy from Minnesota. If ever there was a one man band, he is it. I think he could play just about any instrument that happened to fall into his hands.

The little purple guy?

• Members

I'm guessing many accomplished musicians have piano as a secondary instrument, with better than basic skills.

A few more:

Marcus Miller on bass and bass clarinet

Ornette Coleman on sax and trumpet

Antonio Sanchez, drummer in the Pat Metheny Group, studied classical piano at the conservatory in Mexico City

I wouldn't say "best" multi-instrumentalist, but has anyone had a bigger "switch hitting" career than Dave Grohl?

There's a jazz trumpet student at Julliard, Kyle Athayde, who recently won a Downbeat award...on vibes.

• Members

claude coleman [weens drummer] is pretty impressive, his album while not my particular taste i appreciate his abilites on all the instruments.

stephen perkins did the same on his banyan project. fairly impressive, especially since he [and claude really] are amazing drummers.

• Members

Oooh, Elliot Smith, nice call, for his elegant, Beatlesque one man band productions--freaking pretty impressive guitarist and artful and tasteful on everything else.

Adrian Belew, too, does great solo studio stuff--Mr. Music Head in partocular.

• Members

Hi there, I just reg'd up here at Harmony and was surfin the threads and couldn't resist addin my 2cents in. Personally when askin such a question I can not see how the likes of Kitaro, Mike Olfield. I definatley agree with Roy Clark, not that I am a big fan or nothin, but my folks were, and yes I got force fed alot of HEE-Haww, and well anyone of the great legends that they had on that show could probly be incuded, as most ol'time C&W proformers played multiple instruments. Anyhow If you have not heard of either of my suggestions, be sure to check them out on your favourite tune dl proggy. Kitaro is a fantasic midi/synth/multi-instrumentalist that I am sure will impress even the toughest criticing, hehehe.

Looking forward to hangin around,

Par T Chilli

• Members

From previous posts, I really like:

Stevie Wonder

Roy Clark

Ricky Skaggs

Prince

David Lindley

My choices are:

David Hildago (Los Lobos) - Guitar, Fiddle, Accordion, and some odd Mex Folk things - David Lindley (aformetioned, as well) said Hildago coule be the best Ute(?) player and bought him one.

Max Johnston (Gourds, Uncle Tupelo) - fiddle, guitar, dobro, mando, lap steel

• Members

Id like to add

John Lennon

Paul McCartney

Jeff Lynne

McCartney was well ahead of his time (as usual). His first solo album (McCartney --- with the bowl of cherries cover) was just that, a solo album with him playing everything on the record.

Another that should be mentioned is Roy Wood, formerly of The Move and then ELO. He has a couple of albums where he played everything, including bagpipes. I would rank him and Prince right up there as far as multi instrument capbailities and neither is a slacker in the writing area either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Wood

Archived