Is anybody else happy about all the new low wattage tube amps?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm excited about the trend, but I wish some of them sounded better than they do.

The Super Champ I tried was pretty bland sounding and I hated the built-in effects. If Fender just did a reissue of the Champ/Vibro Champ without all that extra junk I would be all over it. Then again, it would probably be $250 and you can buy Silverface Champs all the time for around $300.

The Epi Valve Jr. I owned was also not very inspiring. I hear that a speaker replacement and tube swap does wonders, but I just didn't feel like putting any money into an amp that I just couldn't bond with stock. I was unimpressed by the Valve Jr. head and cab I played through as well. It sounded like someone draped a blanket over the speaker.

The Fender Champion 600 sounded decent to me, but they really need to make something like that with a 10" speaker, IMHO. I want to try the Gretsch one that is the same amp, but I bet I'll have the same opinion in the end. I actually thought about getting one and rehousing it in a bigger cab.

I haven't tried the Blackhearts because they never seem to be available anywhere. :D

In the end, after looking for something with low wattage that sounded like I wanted, I bought a 90s Fender Pro Jr. Tweed. Granted it's 15 watts rather than 5, but the 10" speaker makes a huge difference. $200 for the amp plus $40 for a new Weber speaker and I'm quite happy with it.

• Members

I love my blackheart. My buddy came over the other day and I played it for him for the first time, and his jaw literally dropped. He said he did not expect to hear that. It made me feel good. You know after having somthing for a while you wonder if it really sounds the same to others as it does to you, it was just nice to hear someone else thinks it sounded good. You know, since i only jam in the bedroom and not bars.

• Members

I've got an Epi Valve Jr head. At first, I was a little disappointed in the tone, especially after all the reviews I read. It sounded good only when dimed, every other setting was muddy and lifeless. So I hit the internet and found some really cool mods. After a gain boost here and tone control there and some other minor modifications, this little amps smokes!!! She's pushing 7 watts now :D

• Members

i just wish marshall would make an affordable low watt tube amp. fender did it, orange did it, epi, crate, peavey, everyone else.

i just want that marshall roar in a fun size bedroom package thats easy on my wallet.

Dude my blackheart with my jackhammer gives me LOADS of Marshall roar. The pedal makes it seem like its a 2 channel Marshall amp.

• Members

I love the influx of 5 watt tube amps. I bought an Epi Valve Jr. for $99 as a mod platform. $50 dollars later (and with a couple of 1X12 cabs) and I've got clean headroom playing with a drummer. I can't get bedroom level distortion out of it without an attenuator, but for the money it's a blast.

• Members

is it true the blackheart 5 w combo can actually hang with a drummer--- that is if you crank it to 10 and don't give a **** about cleans

Yes it can hang with a drummer. I jam with my bro who plays the drums all the time. The amp can be heard clearly. But yes, only if it's at 8-10 on the dial with no cleans haha.

If you want cleans then go buy a fender.

• Members

For anyone lamenting the lack of cleans - a 3/5 watt tube amp really is not made for cleans.... :idk:

If you want headroom you have to have more watts to play in. A low wattage tube amp is there for the sake of getting tube overdrive at lower volume.

Now if only my local shop would get some damn BH Killer Ants in so I could check them out A/B'ed against the 5 watter...

• Members

I had the 5-watt Fender Champ 600, but feel it was severely handicapped by its tiny 6" speaker, and sold it.

A few weeks back I got the Crate V18 - 18 watts Class A, 3 12AX7s, 2 EL84s, and a 12" speaker, reverb, 3-band EQ, gain, master volume - which totally rocks.

I think it's an excellent compromise between manageability volume-wise, and still being able to kick your ass. :thu::rawk:

• Members

yep I +3 the 15 watt types. I've got the crate V1512 and don't feel like its too much. I'm apartment living so it doesn't get cranked much...but I can get great distortion at all volume levels....of course it sounds better the higher you go but with gain on like 7 and master volume on like 2 it gives great distortion. And there is never a problem getting great cleans.

I do see why the 5 watters would be good from a budget perspective but really the 15 watters are pretty cheap too.

• Members

I digress. Not a huge fan of the 5 watters. They're usually one trick ponies (though the trick is fairly good!) with tiny speakers and barely any control over the tone beyond turning volume up and down. I also find that I like my higher wattage amps turned down better than low wattage amps turned way up.

Archived