Is anybody else happy about all the new low wattage tube amps?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I think it's great how everyone is coming out with budget 5watt tube amps! A lot of these amps are so kool. And the fact that everyone is coming out with an amp is even greater because of the fact that they're bringing the prices down on these amps! It's making it so that everyone has a chance at a good affordable tube amp.

There is an influx of little great tube amps that have awesome sound, the right amount of power, and variety. I want all of the 5watt amps right now haha.

I'm very happy about this. I remember few years ago when I was in high school how I wanted a tube amp really badly, but everything out there was so expensive. Now any kid with a decent paper route can go out and by their own little tube amp. Get a multi FX unit and a little tube and you've got one awesome little rig to start and learn on. Even us guys that have been playing for a while can enjoy the simplicity of a little practice rig to meddle on. And they're so cheap! $200 bucks and you can get an assortment of new little tube amps, and if you go used you can get even more options available.

I'm very happy right now haha. Sorry for the random rant guys. Ok...I'm done!

• Members

...last time there was a diverse amount o 5 watt tube amps in plentiful supply, heavily produced boy n girl groups singin muzak got SHAKEN bigtime by da raw powa of rock in da form of a shooting star called Elvis ...

• Members

I wish the companies would make a deluxe model with an extra gain stage or two for a little saturation. I'd pay extra for that. I like the little Crates better than any of the other little 5 watters that I've owned or played. The master volume helps and the effects loop is pretty handy.

• Members

I think once the rest of the majors figure out just how Fender managed to make the Super Champ XD so good, we'll get a flood of similar designs.

Yeah, I know it isn't 5 watts and it's a hybrid but it's the best 'bedroom' amp out there right now.

• Members
I think once the rest of the majors figure out just how Fender managed to make the Super Champ XD so good, we'll get a flood of similar designs.

Yeah, I know it isn't 5 watts and it's a hybrid but it's the best 'bedroom' amp out there right now.

I really don't care much for that amp. Some people seem to like them though.

• Members

i'm just pissed because as far as i know all of those cheap tube amps have vintage kind of overdrive...if you want to play high gain stuff you can't, and if i'm going to have to use pedals to get the gain i need it's better to buy any non tube amp...Tiny Terror can get to high gain but not that much but anyway it is expensiv, not on this category

• Members

Yeah, a lot of these amps have no gain stage, which kinda pisses me off since I tend to use quite a lot of distortion to get my favorite tone. I'll have to get a half stack of something and a disto pedal.

^^Golias beat me to that

> is "greater than"

See, the aligator wants to eat the one that's bigger...

:cop:

• Members

Is it expensive to make high gain tube amps?I don't get why they don't do it.

susceptibility to noise and oscillations in high gain amps requires more time to develop a circuit board that alleviates those issues, and would most likely require more accurate/tight tolerance components, both of which will increase cost.

• Members

Well , all I know is that the ittle EL 84/6V6 (changeable) 5 watt head I bought is a tone monster, and my favourite amp.

I run it into a Marshall 2x12 that I loaded with 2 old (80's) Celestion Greenbacks and I LOVE it.

I bought it from Ancient Mariner of this forum, and it has since displaced my Vox AD30VT as my go to home amp.

The head is shortly to have a custom built Zebrawood enclosure made for it....

:thu:

• Members

Almost happy. It's cool to see more 5W tube amps out there, but I wish more of them were full size amps, physically. 1x12s, decent size cabs. It would make them sound infinitely better if they were pushing more air and had deeper low end. For me, size isn't the concern when buying these amps, volume is.

• Members

i'm just pissed because as far as i know all of those cheap tube amps have vintage kind of overdrive...if you want to play high gain stuff you can't, and if i'm going to have to use pedals to get the gain i need it's better to buy any non tube amp...Tiny Terror can get to high gain but not that much but anyway it is expensiv, not on this category

The Tiny Terror isn't in this category because it's not a "bedroom" amp, nor is it a "practice" amp. So that's why it's a lot more expensive and a lot louder.

I know the Peavey Valve King Royal 8 has a gain stage. It has a volume, tone, and gain control on it. You should look into that. Also Torres Engineering makes a 3 watt Boogie Mite, which is a 3 watt Mesa Boogie type amp. Mesa Boogie also makes a 5 watt high gain amp, it's the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. It's switchable from 5-25 watts so you get a lot of use out of that!

But yeah I disagree with you, there are very low watt high gain amps, you just gotta look for them. I will agree that two of the ones I mentioned are not in any of the online sellers websites like GuitarCenter, Musician's Friend, and 123 Music. But if you look around you'll find em.

Archived