Practicing at home with kids in bed

Beckman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2. Vox amPlug AC30 model - nice to just sit on the couch and jam with the headphones. Not terribly versatile as far as tones go, but fun just as well. Great toy for the $40 price.

Cool that you dig yours....I picked one up a couple months ago, and the hissing sound it makes (at least mine does) drives me crazy. I really wanted to like it though.

I have a cheapo Korg toneworks or something like that (haven't played it in along time). I don't think they make anymore, that I bought years ago that I like more.

Since the OP wants a speaker, that's ultra portable and can play in front of the boob-tube, for $20 bucks, what about the Danelectro N10 Honeytone?

• Members

Good headphones are the key here.

I use a Vox Tonelab LE with either Beyerdynamics 770DT or Sennheiser 250 HD. Certainly enjoyable for a wide variety of sounds, a little weak at medium gain sounds.

• Members

most of the time I use a Line6 Toneport and Gearbox w/ my iPod headphoes. Works beautifully. However when i need an actual amp late at night I use my kid's Marshall MG15CDR. My 50-watt Laney wiill wake the dead so I leave it alone after 10pm...:)

• Members

I use a Roland Microcube often and love that little amp.

I just got one and it's perfect for my uses. My roommates go to bed early, so I plug headphones into the microcube and jam away. Sometimes I also plug my computer audio into the aux in and so I can watch lesson videos and play along.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have said I don't want anything complicated, or that runs on software, I have a Guitar Port still. I just got rid of my XTL, so I don't really want a modeler. I play unplugged now, but sometimes you want some crunch at night.

I thought about the attenuator, but I want something little to bring upstairs to play in front of the (o)(o) tube.

Maybe I need to head back up to elderly and check out the small amps again. I had a mini marshall and returned it. I tried the little smokey amp, I did not rally like it. Same for the honeycomb.

Maybe the microcube, trademark 10, DA5, or Kustom are worth checking out.

Any others small amps worthwhile. They don't need to be tone monsters, but need to sound decent. Elderly had a bunch of little amps, they all sounded similar, but there was a kid trying to play metal on a Bulgera stack while I was checking out 5W or less amps in a small room.

• Members
+1 Both of ours could sleep through a meteor strike. Now the wife a whole different story.
;)

Yeah, only one of the three sleeps through earhquakes. The wife gets mad if the tv is too loud. Actually, my Epi LP can be too loud unplugged. That sucker has pretty good acoustics.

• Members

I'm sorry, but I just can't stand playing through headphones! I have a Weber attenuator that I use with my Subway Rocket, but it isn't something I can freely move around the house when I get the urge to practice or play somewhere other than the music room. Depending on the time of day, my 1/2 watt Zinky Smokey or my 2 watt Roland Micro Cube are what I reach for when the wife is home. I can get some pretty usable tones without giving the wife a headache or making her paranoid about the neighbors calling the cops on us.:cop:

Archived