Practicing at home with kids in bed

Beckman

• Members

What do you guys do?

I just sold my XTL, too big and complicated. But, I generally liked it. I also did not want to be tied down to just headphones. I was thinking something can that be in front of the TV and can be used with a speaker and a headphone, all for under $150. I was thinking about a small tube amp, but you can't really run a headphone through them. I am sure there are a few small exceptions. I also know about the weber mod.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about a micro cube, small spider, etc. I have a classic 30 for when I can play louder.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I lived in a hotel room for four months a couple of years ago and when I needed to play I used a Behringer V-Amp2 and a nice set of headphones.

Of course there are potentially better choices for a headphone amp than the vamp but it was what I had and it worked out quite well for the situation.

• Members

The desktop ToneLab can be found pretty cheap used I think (or the ToneLab LE new for 400$ if you can go that high), and it's got great tube sounds (it actually has a tube). If you don't want to use headphones you'll need a stereo or something, but you might already have one of those in your living room.

A micro cube ain't bad but a ToneLab would kick its ass both in terms of quality and variety.

• Members

I know you said "no headphones", but I've had a Pandora X4D for about 18 months now, and I love it. It has all the built in rhythms & styles, plus an aux in for playing along with CDs or whatever.

No, it doesn't sound as good as playing through an amp (the compromise of headphones I guess - mine are ok, not great, with kids I'm not going to drop a ton of money on headphones anytime soon)

• Members

My Koch Loadbox attenuator has a headphone out as well as a speaker-emulation direct recording line out. So you can use it to quiet the tube amp through its speaker or to go totally silent.

But I also second the Trademark 10 suggestion - great sounding solid state amp with real spring reverb and it, too, has a headphone out and a direct recording out.

• Members

I've had a V-Amp, Pandora and Digitech RP.

I currently use the RP-150.

With all of them there is the certain amount of fussing and tweaking rather than playing.

For amplification at home volumes I also have a Kustom Tube 12 practice amp. It has a nice tone for a small amp w/ a headphone out if needed. I can get out my pedals with that or the RP, depending what I'm in the mood for.

• Members

this and headphones work really well..

11ax5ao.jpg

+1 on guitar rig an a nice set of headphones.

Also have the pod xtlive which is fantastic with headphones. The ss amp suggestion would be good as well.

That being said a good pair of headphones can go a long way.

I've had great success with the Bose phones. I know there are more expensive ones out there but just can't bring myself to spending more than 2-300 beans for them.

Works like a champ.

• Members

I use one of 3 options every night:

1. Digitech GNX4 - can plug in with headphones or run through PA and stay pretty quiet. Hooks up directly to my PC so I can run any backing tracks, etc. I can also load up backing tracks directly on the GNX4 so I don't have to be connected to PC. It also has a built-in drum machine. The amp models and effects are very nice.

2. Vox amPlug AC30 model - nice to just sit on the couch and jam with the headphones. Not terribly versatile as far as tones go, but fun just as well. Great toy for the $40 price.

3. Play completely unplugged. I usually prefer to do this with one of my hollow bodies so I can get a little more volume, but still stay more quiet than an acoustic.

Archived