BlackHeart Owners...Did the Magic Fade...?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I was wondering if all the original hoo-ha was fading too since it seems I've been seeing a lot of them up for sale lately.

Guess it's like anything else - it's new, everyone goes crazy for it, some love it and keep it, some don't love it so much and move it out.

• Members

it seems like it's the great deal that could go either way. it's so cheap that if you buy it and it sucks, it's not that big of a deal. but it's so cheap that if you buy it and you like it, then you found gold.

but yeah...like i said it's a great practice amp, but that's it. not impressed enough to do more then practice with it at home or in my room.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I dug my 1st one so much I bought another.

Now I'm gigging with 2 of them in stereo.

I did however have an issue with my 2nd one. The tubes went microphonic with in a month.

One call to the folks at Blackheart and 2 days later i had a fresh set of Groove tubes at my door. 1st class customer service from them..I couldnt be more stoked.

• Members

Still diggin' mine.

Did anyone notice the price jack on these things???!!! (LG 1/2 Stack and HD Head now $350 each!!)

OK back to topic......

I have the Little Giant 1/2 stack. Got it from MF when they were $249 in June. They get a great distorted sound cranked past 2o'clock. You can also dial in a anice gritty "clean" sound.

It has played nice with phasers, distorions, and octaves. I haven't even changed the tubes like everyone suggests and I still like it!

It is NOT loud enough to play with a drummer with the 1-12.

I did try it through my friends's 4-12 Marshall and it seemed like it could be used for practice. It filled more sonic space I guess. At high volume it is a one trick pony. But does it well IMO.

That said I will be looking hard at the Handsome Devils. Hoping to get an old price on that too!

• Members

Still diggin' mine.

Did anyone notice the price jack on these things???!!! (LG 1/2 Stack and HD Head now $350 each!!)

OK back to topic......

I have the Little Giant 1/2 stack. Got it from MF when they were $249 in June. They get a great distorted sound cranked past 2o'clock. You can also dial in a anice gritty "clean" sound.

It has played nice with phasers, distorions, and octaves. I haven't even changed the tubes like everyone suggests and I still like it!

It is NOT loud enough to play with a drummer with the 1-12.

I did try it through my friends's 4-12 Marshall and it seemed like it could be used for practice. It filled more sonic space I guess. At high volume it is a one trick pony. But does it well IMO.

That said I will be looking hard at the Handsome Devils. Hoping to get an old price on that too!

Wow $350! That's crazy! Yeah I bought mine for $249 as well and I thought that was a great deal. Though I am envious of those who get them from Music 123 for like $180 though!

But yeah, all the price jacks in the music industry are getting kind of {censored}ty. Everyone is starting to raise their prices. Thanks go for Fender and sticking to affordable and relatively cheap American instruments. $1200 for an American Deluxe Standard sounds withing good acceptable bounds for me. More so then Gibson prices I say!

• Members

I play mine everyday...just installed a Tung-Sol 12AX7 and JJ EL84 in it yesterday...hey, gotta say, "I LIKE IT!!!"...smoothed out the sweet tones and then some...the TUBEJUICE attenuator was also a nice addition to it also!!! If you're still playing with the stock chinese tubes...change them...new tubes will bring back the "magic"!!!

• Members

I play mine everyday...just installed a Tung-Sol 12AX7 and JJ EL84 in it yesterday...hey, gotta say, "I LIKE IT!!!"...smoothed out the sweet tones and then some...the TUBEJUICE attenuator was also a nice addition to it also!!! If you're still playing with the stock chinese tubes...change them...new tubes will bring back the "magic"!!!

I'll change 'em after I do clip with the old ones. The majic is still there for now. Love the organic tone.

I'm going for either GT or JJ's. I have JJ's in my Delta Blues and they worked majic.

I'll do the bitmo bypass when the warranty is up or when I'm really bored.

• Members

I'll change 'em after I do clip with the old ones. The majic is still there for now. Love the organic tone.

I'm going for either GT or JJ's. I have JJ's in my Delta Blues and they worked majic.

I'll do the bitmo bypass when the warranty is up or when I'm really bored.

The Bitmo Bypass will surely "jump start" a few "hearts" around here!!! :thu:

I've been thinking of doing that also...for $36...that's a cheap mod!!!

Share your clips once they're done!!!

• Members

How do you like the TubeJuice attenuator? How does it compare to other budget attenuators like Webber and the ones on the Bitmo website?

• Members

Definately swap out the stock crap tubes.....

I think a lot of people thought "oh 3w/5w, that should be quiet enough to crank in my bedroom"

Think again, it's {censored}ing loud......loud enough for practice anyway. You have to crank it up, and you lose your cleans.....but it CAN keep up with a loud drummer at practice......:cop:

The tone to me is VOX-ish......Chimey, clear, and clean.

Here's my clip.....Jay Turser JT-133 with Dimarzio Virtual PAFs....straight in....both tracks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=777229&songID=6559834

Side Note: I swapped out the Output Tranny too....for the Hammond 125ESE. ;)

• Members

How do you like the TubeJuice attenuator? How does it compare to other budget attenuators like Webber and the ones on the Bitmo website?

A lot of attenuator owners (like Weber) have commented about "Treble loss or Tone loss" during maximum attenuation...I have no problems with the TUBEJUICE...infact, Mark, the owner, customized one for me with a Treble boost switch (not an option offered on the TUBEJUICE)...and so far, I don't need to use it!!! It really keeps the Blackheart's organic tones...I've A/B'd it against a Bad Monkey and the attenuator wins!!! I haven't A/B'd it against a Weber or Bitmo's, but I'm very happy with the TUBEJUICE...and so is my wife!!! :thu:

• Members

I feel lucky I got a chance to actualy try it out first (for a few days!) and i can say it sounds like a generic low powered crate amp! nothing special my AS120VT at 1w sounds 1000X better tried it with all kinds of peddels and still bland its not bad for what it is but what it is isnt that great! there was ALLOT of hype surrounding this amp Crate did a good job at marketing it! sold a bunch and now id say 70% are on eBay and 10% are just collecting dust the Valve JR I think sounds better but its still not quite there maybe im just use to a modeling amp if I had the $$ id go with that 15w THD that thing was NICE! built in hot plate and everything not to mention the ability to swap tubes at will but $$$ ive been playing more with head phones and through my Line6 Guitar port lately been thinking about getting that new VOX jam box thing when they come out.

• Members

A lot of attenuator owners (like Weber) have commented about "Treble loss or Tone loss" during maximum attenuation...I have no problems with the TUBEJUICE...infact, Mark, the owner, customized one for me with a Treble boost switch (not an option offered on the TUBEJUICE)...and so far, I don't need to use it!!! It really keeps the Blackheart's organic tones...I've A/B'd it against a Bad Monkey and the attenuator wins!!! I haven't A/B'd it against a Weber or Bitmo's, but I'm very happy with the TUBEJUICE...and so is my wife!!!
:thu:

Hey thanks for the insight! I'm definitely considering that more over the other attenuators now!

Archived