Best 335 copy?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

In your guys' opinion what is the best 335 copy? I have a 1967 Gibson ES-335 I really love, but for obvious reasons I don't want to play out with it. I also don't have the money to pay for a more modern Gibson 335.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. A used guild starfire is a great substitute and you get the same quality and great tone. Heritage I believe also make a nice 335 copy, those would be my two top choices.

If you are looking for a cheaper guitar I would try and find a used dearmond starfire, great guitars for the price. The pickups make the guitar.

If you like a bigsby and are a lefty then this one for sale at the twelfth fret on Toronto looks sweet. Oh I wish I had an extra 1300$

http://www.12fret.com/used/GuildSFire3lefty2196.jpg

The starfire four is the double cutaway similar to a 335

• Members

In your guys' opinion what is the best 335 copy? I have a 1967 Gibson ES-335 I really love, but for obvious reasons I don't want to play out with it. I also don't have the money to pay for a more modern Gibson 335.

People are gonna say epiphone, but technically I don't think that's a copy, since it's owned by Gibson and has the same body. But yeah, if you want something that will be at or around the same quality with the exact same look, sans headstock, look into an elitist, or for something simple, an epiphone dot.

• Members

I must also mention the early '80s Vantage VSH-455. A wonderful 335-type guitar. Below is my '83, which I have had since '87:

HPIM0941.jpg

I'd forgotten all about Vantage.

A long time ago I helped a friends wife out to get him a surprise birthday present of an acoustic guitar.

With a limited budget, I went for a Vantage acoustic, and it was simply excellent.

• Members

I just played a new Peavey JF-1 semi-hollow the other day, and I was very impressed. Had a much bigger/wider neck that a lot of guitars, and I really like that. Not a thin stick, that's for sure. I have big hands.

It's made in China and was only about $299 new, but the fretwork was perfect and it seemed very well made overall. I didn't plug it in, but it rang well acoustically and just seemed like excellent quality for the money. Better than just about every Epi Dot I've ever played. And as I said it had that really nice chunky neck.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JF1-Hollowbody-Guitar?sku=511394

• Members

The epiphone dots are good and so are the hollows ibanez makes

• Members

How much do you want to spend?

At about $400, the Epi Dot is the best

Some other ideas:

At about $470 (Michael Kelly)

MichaelKelly.jpg

At $630 (GRETSCH 5122DC)

GretschElectro335.jpg

At $899 (HARMONY VINTAGE REISSUE H54-1)

HarmonyVintageReissue.jpg

At about $1,600 (EASTMAN T186MX THINLINE SEMI-HOLLOW)

Eastman-Blond.jpg

• Members

I think I'll be taking this road sometime soon.

The Washburn HBs are frequently metioned as a low-price/high quality alternative around here, but these look really cool. I had a Sixties "elvis" Viking I should never have gotten rid of, and if these are most of the way there, WHEW!

• Members

What's your budget?

The usual answer to this evergreen topic is:

Expensive but top notch:

- used Gibson 335, 333.etc.

- Heritage H-535

- Yamaha SA2200

- Guild Starfire

- Ibanez AS200 / John Scofield sig

Mid-price:

- Washburn

- Epi elitist / sheraton

- Yamaha SA503tvl (that's a cool one!)

Affordable:

- Epi dot

- Yammie SA500

- a bunch of others

• Members

MONEY is the Qustion here. Collins builds a 335 copy that BLOWS GIBSON AWAY!

A Yamaha as mentioned SA-2200 is a GREAT choice for $1500. new. But though it has more bells and whistles than the 335. i like Gibsons pups better.

The BEST DEAL on a 335 copy...............the IBANEZ AS-103NT. They sell for around $750-$800 with tax and a OHSC. But I had bought mine used in MINT cond for $550.

The Quality Control on the Ibanez AS Custom series is absolutly GREAT. The pups are Great Custom 58s. Just and all around fantastic guitar. The Custom 58s are very similiar to Gibsons BB-Pro's. Heres mine before Jazzrat traded me his Texas Tele for it.

f2bf_1.jpg

f85f_1.jpg

Tell ya, if Jazzrat didn't pop up with an unbelieveable Fender US Texas Tele. I wouldn't have let it go. But the Fender Texas Teles are a bitch to find and are built fantastic and very similiar to a 52RI.

But the COLLINS has it all over Gibson!

Archived