Best 335 copy?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'll throw in a Schecter Corsair if you can find one with an ebony fretboard....

Also the Washburn Hb's. I just bought an HB30 with Gibson electronics and 57 pickups already installed for $220 on Ebay...

hb30b.jpg

• Members

I would recommend the Heritage H-535 that I own myself, but I feel with these guitars (in this price-range) you should test everything for yourself. Even within certain types of brands I found a massive amount of variation in quality (especially with Gibsons strange enough, some really bad ones, but also some really good ones).

219879767_5_a611.jpeg

I feel it's especially important to stress that you don't put yourself into one brand, just play the guitars and get a feel for them, and pick the one that you like, regardless of price or brand. That's hard, I know, but you can try :cop:.

• Members

Have you considered a MIJ Tokai...I bought one of their ES 120s about 7 months ago...it's a fantastice guitar...lone neck tenon, nitro finish, excellent electronics and hardware...setup was perfect right out of the box...tuned it up and it was ready to go. Acoustically it's very loud and resonant and this transfers over nicely when played through an amp. A few years ago I owned a 1997 Gibby 335 and never really liked it...it sounded dull and lifeless both acoustically and through and amp and was a bitch to intonate...never did seem to be dead on. My Tokai is on par with the mid to late 60s 335 I owned years ago.....here's some pics.

48b9_3.jpg

473a_3.jpg

479f_3.jpg

481f_3.jpg

477a_3.jpg

• Members

I feel it's especially important to stress that you don't put yourself into one brand, just play the guitars and get a feel for them, and pick the one that you like, regardless of price or brand. That's hard, I know, but you can try
:cop:

Best advice of this whole thread. :thu:

• Members

Hmmmm,

Like others have said, it depends upon how much you want to spend. If you're trying to hold price, possibly the Epi Dots (although I'm not a big fan of them myself they are decent guitars - my Epiphone of choice is a Wildkat I put hotter P90s in), or what I had (until I had to sell it to pay some bills) - an Ibanez Artcore. Either the AS-73 (which I had) or the AS-83, are decent guitars for the money.

http://www.ibanez.com/hollow/guitar.aspx?m=AS73

Midpricewise - the Heritages are very good axes.

http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/H535.htm

Play On,

Ellen

3rd Generation guitarist - 29 years of playing and counting

• Members

The BEST DEAL on a 335 copy...............the IBANEZ AS-103NT. They sell for around $750-$800 with tax and a OHSC. But I had bought mine used in MINT cond for $550.

I concur. While the "bling" aspect of the guitar's looks requires some getting used to, at least for me (I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused), it's a tremendously well-built, well-appointed guitar, that's a ridiculous bargain, especially used. The tuners, for instance, are the smoothest I've ever encountered on any guitar, at any price.

• Members

+1 on what GarysBlues said.

I traded for his Ibanez AS103NT.

It really is a killer guitar. In the last year I've had two MIK Ibanez thinlines as well as a 335 Dot RI and a 335 Satin.

This Ibanez smokes them all.

IMG_2014.jpg

+1!

Also, the older Ibanez ArtStars are terrific: AS-80, AS-120, AS-200. I love the AS-120 which can usually be had in the sub-$500 range.

Archived