AVOID Keith Holland Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos, CA

Foulacy

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im blessed where I live most of the time they will do a set-up for free right in front of you. For other maintenance stuff there prices are so reasonable you feel you should put in some extra for the guys.

Its gotta be the local market dictating that kind of stuff because where I'm at it isn't cheap, there's a wait and the people aren't overly cool about it. After talking to one of the more reputable guys in the area about installing new saddles and slotting them to line up better with the pole pieces and radiusing them to match the fretboard better he said that he had never heard of such a thing. That told me right there that I didn't want him touching any of my gear.

• Members

Keiths side.....

Hi John,

Thanks for the heads up. It's obvious that you are able to read between the lines. This individual is obviously upset, and he should be. He is the only person in existence who has been asked to leave and will never be welcome to return to one of the coolest guitar shops is the SF Bay Area! I heard and expected that he had/would respond this way and that I would probably choose to ignore his insults. However, upon reading his original entry and subsequent additions through the threads, I have decided that I must respond. The many untruths aside, the deciding factor is his demeaning of my employees, who are not teenagers (I have an apprentice in his early 20's. The 2 journeyman technicians are late 20's and early 40's in age), which has no bearing on their ability to do guitar work, and hold no responsibility to the customer for blame if work is not up to the level that they require. These, intelligent, friendly, and talented young men do not deserve the insults and berating of this lunatic. I love what I do, and I can absolutely say that my employees feel the same. I work 7 days a week and have my hands on every guitar that comes in and out of here. The 4 of us work as a team and no one participates, hands-on, in any part of any customer project that is beyond their abilities. Therefore, with the final result of each workorder in my hands, I am the one to be held responsible for any subjective customer complaint.

That said, I am always very clear with customers that I want their guitar to be perfect and I want it back here if not. This individual had some problems with this guitar that I was more than willing to help with without additional cost to him, but was not receptive to my input or willing to allow me to make simple adjustments that I thought would help. Instead, he demanded (his word) that the entire job be done over. Eventually, we came to the agreement that he would give it a few days to decide if we should make the small changes that I thought could help. Eventually, upon his 3rd trip back, he belligerently and demeaningly demanded that the work be done over. I relented, with the stipulation that he not return again, with any more problems with this instrument or any others. He blew his stack, insulted all of us, grabbed his instrument and left. Before he walked out, I asked him not to return. He never did ask for his money back.

Now, please understand that I wish no ill will towards this young man. Truth is, he is very young (probably younger than any of my technicians) and has a lot to learn. I'm not talking about guitar playing here. Unfortunately, he made a lot of mistakes here that will hurt him a lot more than me in the long run. My good customers know what I am all about and that's what matters to me. I understand that I am here as a servant to help those who want it and that's what I will continue to do.

I have gone to the Harmony Central website and registered as a member. I am unable to respond to this thread however, as I believe there is a period of initiation or time before it is allowed. Please feel free to share my letter with anyone if you feel so inclined.

Sincerely

Keith Holland

• Members

Dear Harmony-Central users,

Recently I bought a sparkling used (but new to the core) RG2550 at a local shop. The guitar was new but the frets definitely needed to be leveled. My first mistake was taking my guitar to Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos, California. Owned but not operated by Keith Holland.

Absolutely DO NOT GO to Guitar Hospital. Keith Holland is an inconsiderate, demeaning, stuck-up luthier who DOESN'T WORK ON THE GUITARS. He has teenagers working a summer job do things that cost people FORTUNES. I came back to the store after the work was done on my guitar and he demeaned me and said I didn't know how to play guitar. I went to other luthiers to make sure I wasn't insane and they agreed with me that the frets needed work and many of them weren't level. I came back a second time complaining about the poor worksmanship on the repair. He threatened to call 911 if I didn't leave his store because I kept showing him what was wrong with the guitar. I know my guitar repair stuff, and showing Mr. Holland the problems with my guitar, after he had some 16 year old take a giant metal file to my frets, earned me a trip out of his shop. I used his horrible tool to easily show him a high fret, "hear that click mr. holland as I press down on this side?!?!?!" Also, they orginally misquoted the price of the repair and called me a week later with a $50 markup. I was FINE with it and said "as long as the guitar is perfect!" Too bad the guitar came back worse than it went in.

AVOID GUITAR HOSPITAL AT ALL COSTS. Please, I am a 100% honest, considerate and understanding person. I had the absolute worst experience I've ever had in ANY store. Keith Holland took NO responsibility for the work done in his shop and had NO knowledge of true guitar repair. He doesn't even have the necessary straight edge rulers to work on the frets of a guitar.

I pray that this post makes someone avoid this shop. Remember, Keith Holland DOES NOT WORK on the guitars that are in for repair. He sits in the back building his own bad guitars to sell out front and lets horribly inexperienced teenagers do all the guitar repair work on your priceless guitar.

I can complain about more specific things via PM.

Thanks for reading this guys! You reading this is the closest I can come to getting a refund from this prick! I am posting this in every forum I read!

PS. If this is the wrong forum section for this, lemme know, thanks.

How old are you?

How long have you been playing?

• Members

I guess this was just a pissed off kid that tried to destroy someones reputation with 8 posts.
:rolleyes:

How long does he have to defend himself? I guess it doesnt matter seeing how he just came here to complain. I didnt even pay attention to his post count till you mentioned it.:thu:

• Members

Keiths side.....

Hi John,

Thanks for the heads up. It's obvious that you are able to read between the lines. This individual is obviously upset, and he should be. He is the only person in existence who has been asked to leave and will never be welcome to return to one of the coolest guitar shops is the SF Bay Area! I heard and expected that he had/would respond this way and that I would probably choose to ignore his insults. However, upon reading his original entry and subsequent additions through the threads, I have decided that I must respond. The many untruths aside, the deciding factor is his demeaning of my employees, who are not teenagers (I have an apprentice in his early 20's. The 2 journeyman technicians are late 20's and early 40's in age), which has no bearing on their ability to do guitar work, and hold no responsibility to the customer for blame if work is not up to the level that they require. These, intelligent, friendly, and talented young men do not deserve the insults and berating of this lunatic. I love what I do, and I can absolutely say that my employees feel the same. I work 7 days a week and have my hands on every guitar that comes in and out of here. The 4 of us work as a team and no one participates, hands-on, in any part of any customer project that is beyond their abilities. Therefore, with the final result of each workorder in my hands, I am the one to be held responsible for any subjective customer complaint.

That said, I am always very clear with customers that I want their guitar to be perfect and I want it back here if not. This individual had some problems with this guitar that I was more than willing to help with without additional cost to him, but was not receptive to my input or willing to allow me to make simple adjustments that I thought would help. Instead, he demanded (his word) that the entire job be done over. Eventually, we came to the agreement that he would give it a few days to decide if we should make the small changes that I thought could help. Eventually, upon his 3rd trip back, he belligerently and demeaningly demanded that the work be done over. I relented, with the stipulation that he not return again, with any more problems with this instrument or any others. He blew his stack, insulted all of us, grabbed his instrument and left. Before he walked out, I asked him not to return. He never did ask for his money back.

Now, please understand that I wish no ill will towards this young man. Truth is, he is very young (probably younger than any of my technicians) and has a lot to learn. I'm not talking about guitar playing here. Unfortunately, he made a lot of mistakes here that will hurt him a lot more than me in the long run. My good customers know what I am all about and that's what matters to me. I understand that I am here as a servant to help those who want it and that's what I will continue to do.

I have gone to the Harmony Central website and registered as a member. I am unable to respond to this thread however, as I believe there is a period of initiation or time before it is allowed. Please feel free to share my letter with anyone if you feel so inclined.

Sincerely

Keith Holland

This is to Keith Holland.

Keith, the young man has described that his frets needed work and that other luthiers agreed. What is your take on it? You said you have your hands on every guitar that goes in and out of there so obviously you'd remember this guitar due to the entire ordeal. Your post only explained the customer reaction but not the guitar work in question. I would like to know why you disagreed that the frets needed to be worked on.

I have had my fair share of experiences with guitar techs and it took me over $200 of work (on the same guitar) before I found a good tech that I will stick with. There is one sour experience in my mind of a tech changing the strings on my guitar and calling it a "setup". Due to my past experiences I have become wary of guitar techs which is why I asked you what I asked.

• Members

This is to Keith Holland.

Keith, the young man has described that his frets needed work and that other luthiers agreed. What is your take on it? You said you have your hands on every guitar that goes in and out of there so obviously you'd remember this guitar due to the entire ordeal. Your post only explained the customer reaction but not the guitar work in question. I would like to know why you disagreed that the frets needed to be worked on.

I have had my fair share of experiences with guitar techs and it took me over $200 of work (on the same guitar) before I found a good tech that I will stick with. There is one sour experience in my mind of a tech changing the strings on my guitar and calling it a "setup". Due to my past experiences I have become wary of guitar techs which is why I asked you what I asked.

Contact Keith @ keith@keithhollandguitars.com

:thu:

• Members

Does. huh?

Here's my part-

Read the guys first post, been through stuff like this before (been a guit/amp tech for a decade or two...).

Actually did a bit of homework on Keith, and he checked out-been around a while, good rep for his work.

Figured I'd hear his side of the story, before his business unfairly suffered.

If you've worked in this business, it's way too familiar.

And where is he (Foulacy)anyway? Papers' gonna hear the other side of the story as well, so that didn't pan out I'm sure. (Joined Jan didn't post tll Sept, all posts here??)

Maybe Keith should print his Name. address, and phone number?

Love to put him on the NFW list....

• Members

This from Keith today...

John,

Thanks for posting my response. Will you please post this final response.

This is the "reading between the lines" that I mentioned in my first post:

Understand that as a servant, I am here to HELP people. We are human and make mistakes. I have no problem admitting and correcting if I miss something. I would however, be doing a miss-service to my customers if I do what they perceive to be the fix to the problem that they are experiencing, without attempting to help them based on my 25 years of experience. This customer returned with the guitar and stated that the work was not done correctly. I take no offense to this initially as it is quite common for players to believe that if a fret level is performed on an instrument it will solve ALL fret buzz problems. It is very easy to produce fret buzz if you want to. With electric instruments you also need to judge this while playing electrically.

As always, and this is the procedure I took with this individual, I first checked the neck adjustment and established that it was well adjusted. I then took out my 3 inch straight edge, concentrating on the area where he was concerned and found no uneven frets. Then i used my 3", 2" and 1" tools and checked all the frets, finding nothing and establishing that the frets were level. I then plugged the guitar into the amp and played it for a couple of minutes. Everything seemed fine. I then handed it to the customer and asked him to play it. This is where we began to have a problem. The customer struck the string in a non-playing way in the area of his complaint (1st-3rd frets) causing the fret buzz. I again asked him to play the guitar for me as he normally would, so that I could see how it performed in his hands. I'm not sure why, but he wouldn't and never did play the instrument. I suggested that I raise the action a little. This was unacceptable to him as he was still maintaining that the work was not done correctly. This is when I asked him to take it home and give it a little more time, hoping that he would change his mind, one way or the other. He left and came back a few days later demanding that the level be redone. It is not in the best interest to the customer to level frets that don't need it, as it will lower the height and reduce the life of the frets. The rest of the story has been told.

Peace,

Keith Holland

keith@keithhollandguitars.com

• Members

Hey, ongoing thread over at Jemsite about this. Keith responded to me over there, as soon as youtube gets it's act together a vid will be up, been a good 7 hours it's been down... again, this is not a scheme, Keith is in the wrong here, everyone will see...

besides, what's my argument in the first place? keith doesn't do the work, and wouldn't take responsibility for the work done in his shop, AND he's a jerk when you question him with proof. he can probably bust a mean fret level.

• Members

Keiths side.....

Truth is, he is very young (probably younger than any of my technicians) and has a lot to learn.

I love how as soon as this comes into play, everyone switches sides. "BAWW DURNED KID TRYNA RUIN AN HONEST MAYNE'S BUSINESS!"

Oh yeah, I'd also like to add...Yay Area represent.

• Members

I love how as soon as this comes into play, everyone switches sides. "BAWW DURNED KID TRYNA RUIN AN HONEST MAYNE'S BUSINESS!"

Oh yeah, I'd also like to add...Yay Area represent.

yes. why would I ever want to ruin someones business? I'm a normal honest person just like all of you and this is my only way of reaching out to everyone to tell you about a bad experience at a shop. I can't just stand idle when thing's got as out of hand as they did.

Archived