AVOID Keith Holland Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos, CA

Foulacy

• Members

It's comments like this that don't help your case.

"Random kids"?

Also, depending on the size of the shop it's certainly possible to have someone else and not Keith work on your guitar. In fact, this is common across a variety of industries.

"
the deciding factor is his demeaning of my employees, who are not teenagers (I have an apprentice in his early 20's. The 2 journeyman technicians are late 20's and early 40's in age), which has no bearing on their ability to do guitar work, and hold no responsibility to the customer for blame if work is not up to the level that they require.
"

Both of you have different perspectives. Keith's comment sounds reasonable.

When I did repair jobs as part of the services we provided in a different industry, it was very common for me NOT to know who the client was and what was the repair. I would remember unusual cases, but with so much work I just focused on the repairs. Other people -usually sales people- would remind me about the name of the person and the work done, but for me remembering those facts was totally unnecessary.

To this day I remember my regular clients, though. In fact, when it comes to my bar tending days I even remember some of my regular clients as well as their drinks of choice
:)

So now the email is possibly NOT from Keith. Maybe someone got creative and posted the reply along with Keith's email. Do you really think that's the case?

Misquoting is an impossibility based on the years he's been doing it, but as you said, "people make mistakes"

He could be doing something right if he's been in business for 25 years. Even if he's not, he comes across as being quite reasonable.

Moving on...

Hey man, I'm here, right now, still defending myself against you detective luthier defenders of righteousness. Keith's email doesn't defend the allegations I made against him and only puts his side of the story, which is completely sugar coated to sound very nice and gentle. If you want to ask me if something is true or not from his email with a direct quote, go ahead, but everything I've said is completely true and I will continue to be honest.

I would also note that in the email, Keith doesn't say those are ALL his apprentices. I saw only 3 other people in the shop all three times I was there. One of them looked late 20's the other two absolutely did not appear to be 20.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread has had nearly 5,000 views.

The OP's intention was to damage Keith's business, but I bet just the opposite has happened.

Now hundreds, maybe thousands more people know about the services available at Keith Holland Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos, CA.

I bet Keith gets a big spike in business.

Unintended consequences.

M

It is my case, but I certainly am staying away from both Foulacy and any guitar shop in Los Gatos.

• Members

I would also note that in the email, Keith doesn't say those are ALL his apprentices. I saw only 3 other people in the shop all three times I was there. One of them looked late 20's the other two absolutely did not appear to be 20.

OK.

I'm thinking everyone has said anything that can be said on this topic. In a free society and in a guitar forum, we should be free to voice opinions on most things concerning guitars and I think that has been done. I don't know the shop in question but it looks like he has stated his case and won't be adding to this thread.

Personally, I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience with this vendor. However it sounds like many people have had good experiences with him as well. I think the vendor would be the first to acknowledge the saying, "Let the buyer beware" as it applies to his competition and as it would apply to anyone he did business with as well. There are times you need to surrender to someone with more knowledge than yourself on a subject. I rarely perform self heart transplants anymore. But it's always good to know something about the procedure and to get second opinions. Just remember, both opinions could be wrong! :p

• 12 years later...
  • Members

I’m responding to the negative comments about Keith Holland, and his guitar hospital, etc. It seems that most of you are developing a negative attitude about Keith & his employees from what other people are saying, and without having a bad experience with Keith yourself. I’m 69 years old, and have known Keith for most of our lives, and know that he is one of the most honest & caring people that I have ever met, not only personally, but professionally as well. No one is perfect in this world, and I’m sorry if someone had a bad experience with Keith & his guitar hospital, but that is very rare, and you shouldn’t form a negative opinion about Keith from what 1 or 2 people have written. I know there are thousands of positive experiences that other customers have had with Keith, versus a couple of negative ones. I would bet my Life on you enjoying a great experience by using Keith & his guitar hospital, and this isn’t coming from a good friend of his, but a fellow musician too. Please form your own opinions from your own experiences, and not from someone else’s, and I promise that they will be positive, and your friends will feel the same after you recommend them to Keith. Bill B.

Archived