Being objective about a mix.

John Sayers

• Members

Yesterday I mixed a track for a friend and he came around to get a hard copy.

I burnt him a data disc with the .wav file and also a playable CD. Knowing how new mixes get played over and over I put the track on the playable CD 4 times so they wouldn't have to constantly recue the track.

Around 10pm I received a call from the artist. He was with the engineer at the studio and they wanted to let me know that they objectively thought the 4th mix was the best followed by the second one. :D

• Members

Yet another example of people hearing what they want to hear. I do it all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've clicked on the wrong track's EQ and sat there for like 20 minutes tweaking EQ curves and convincing myself that it was getting better when I was tweaking another track's EQ. The mind affects what we hear so much and most people really don't appreciate that.

• Members

Yet another example of people hearing what they want to hear. I do it all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've clicked on the wrong track's EQ and sat there for like 20 minutes tweaking EQ curves and convincing myself that it was getting better when I was tweaking another track's EQ. The mind affects what we hear so much and most people really don't appreciate that.

This happened to me two days ago, I lowered a clip by 1.5 db, rewound, replayed and thought to myself - that sounds perfect. Then I realized I was changing the volume on a clip that was muted and nothing had changed. In my defense, it was late and I was mixing on headphones, still, the ears hear what the mind tells it to, it's definitely interesting...

• Moderators

I finished an album, delivered it... and secretly hated everything I'd done on it. My mixes sucked so bad and yet I'd worked so hard on them. The drum recording was horrible to start with. The whole 3 month project was an uphill battle.

A couple of days ago I ran into the guitarist and humbly murmured a sort of awkward apology... he punched my arm and asked if I was crazy. I hadn't listened to it once since delivering it. He popped into his car CD player and...

It was absolutely rockin'. Sometimes that forest does get in the way of the trees.

Another of what may possibly be an urban legend, but I have heard that Lee Sklar has 'producer buttons' installed on all his basses. They do nothing. But apparently, producers usually love the second setting.

Old producer trick:

When the drummer asks for their drums to be louder in the mix, or the guitarist asks for the vocals to be turned down or whatever, and it's totally outlandish and unreasonable (because they've been sitting at the back of the CR for the last five hours, laughing and talking and NOT listening, so they have no idea of how it sounds anyway :rolleyes: ), reach over to the board and turn a knob on an unused channel, turn around and politely ask "is that better?" Invariably, or at least nine times out of ten, they'll nod and say "yeah - much better". ;)

Not that *I* would ever do such a thing... ;):D

• Members
Old producer trick:

When the drummer asks for their drums to be louder in the mix, or the guitarist asks for the vocals to be turned down or whatever, and it's totally outlandish and unreasonable (because they've been sitting at the back of the CR for the last five hours, laughing and talking and NOT listening, so they have no idea of how it sounds anyway
:rolleyes:
), reach over to the board and turn a knob on an unused channel, turn around and politely ask "is that better?" Invariably, or at least nine times out of ten, they'll nod and say "yeah - much better".
;)

Not that *I* would ever do such a thing...
;):D

There have actually been long discussions of the ethics of doing just that over at Gearslutz. (They ran out of boutique preamps to argue about that day.)

Well, I was joking... but OTOH, if they want to comment about the mix, then they da%^med better have been paying enough attention to at least hear it before asking for their part to be turned up.

I'm a pretty patient guy in the studio, and I'm not one to normally / automatically say "no" without being willing to try their suggestion first. And if someone wants more of something in the cans, I'm happy to provide it. But "fader wars" and inattentive, yet insistent and demanding players can start to get old after the first couple of decades. ;)

• Members

It seems to me that there is NO SUCH THING as being objective about a mix.

Its all about your emotional reaction to it. Perception is reality.

Thats not objective at all.

Its strange how you can get emotionally attached to some elements of a given mix and, even when improving the thing, you miss some of what was left behind with the changes.

Its one thing if a mix totally sucks or there is some obvious glitch.

However, if you are in the ballpark its all just a matter of taste.

Sometimes it comes down to very subtle nuances. One persons favorite subtle nuance is anothers " I dont know what you are talking about".

I sometimes institute the rule... "You're allowed to ask for level changes on anything except your own instrument." It works great.

Great idea! :idea::cool:

John (and others), if you have a minute, I'd appreciate it if you could check out this thread. I think there's no easy / cheap answer that will satisfy the poster, but I don't think he believes me, and who knows? Maybe there's something you could suggest that I don't know about...

Thanks mate. :wave:

• Members

When the drummer asks for their drums to be louder in the mix, or the guitarist asks for the vocals to be turned down or whatever, and it's totally outlandish and unreasonable (because they've been sitting at the back of the CR for the last five hours, laughing and talking and NOT listening, so they have no idea of how it sounds anyway
:rolleyes:
), reach over to the board and turn a knob on an unused channel, turn around and politely ask "is that better?" Invariably, or at least nine times out of ten, they'll nod and say "yeah - much better".
;)

I did that accidentally on my own stuff during my band's most recent session.

I wasn't happy with the sound of my guitar - it had too much of the room in it. My co-engineer tried compressing the crap out of it, which helped a bit but I still wasn't thrilled. So I switched to a different mic placement, moved some baffles closer to the amp, etc. Went back to the control room and listened, and I was getting kind of impatient because everything else sounded great and we wanted to get tracking, already. So I listened back a little and said, "Yeah, that's much better," and headed back for the tracking room. Whereupon my bandmates said, "Uh, Lee... that was the previous take." And they were right - I was still listening to the old sound. :lol:

Your mind was elsewhere - thinking about getting back and playing. Completely understandable IMO, and probably a good example of why recording yourself is a difficult proposition, no matter how good of an engineer you are (and Lee's outstanding!), because the two tasks largely use different parts of the brain, and switching between them constantly is hard to do... :)

• Members

Your mind was elsewhere - thinking about getting back and
playing
. Completely understandable IMO, and probably a good example of why recording yourself is a difficult proposition, no matter how good of an engineer you are (and Lee's outstanding!), because the two tasks largely use different parts of the brain, and switching between them constantly is hard to do...
:)

Yeah, well that was exactly why I was (mostly) having someone else engineer. I wanted to focus on playing, and I guess I did that a little too well. :D

Archived