Strat Owner's: Your Tremolo Setup

u6crash

• Members

It seems there are a lot of Strat owners that either block the trem or tighten springs so that it won't move. And if that is the case, do you ever go back to a setup where you are using the tremolo? If you keep it blocked/tightened all the time, would you just rather have a hardtail Strat or do you believe that the springs connected to the bridge provide some sort of tonal quality that you wouldn't have otherwise?

Personally, I just don't use it and if hardtail Strats were available in greater numbers I'd just as soon use one of those.

• Members

I have two Strats. One a copy and one a Fender :o

On the copy, I leave the tremolo unblocked but flush to the body. I use it very rarely but it works well :love:

On my Fender on the other hand.... I want to block it off :o It sends the guitar out of tune as soon as I look at it :cry: It needs more springs to work well (even though my copy gets away with the same number of springs) but I'd just rather block it off rather than going hunting for a spring for something I'll hardly ever use :o

• Members

Trem use is an intrinsic part of my style to the point that I get slightly neurotic when I'm playing hardtail guitars like my otherwise beloved Tele -- in fact, if I wasn't so trem-addicted the Tele would probably be my main guitar.

I don't quite see the point of using a Strat with the trem disabled -- you'd be better off with a Tele, especially one which (like my Jerry Donahue sig) has a Strat neck PU and a 5-way switch for quackery. As it is, both my Strats have been carefully set up so that tuning is 99% stable -- and the LSR nut/locking tuners on my Jeff Beck Custom Artist definitely make for anxiety-free wangage. As I've often said, if this guitar can handle what JB does to it, it's got nothing to fear from me -- or you.

• Members

Take your point csm, but I found that by tightening the block flush against the body I can use heavier gague strings without any wobble - thus helping to keep the action lower. I think that the diference between a tele and a strat goes much further than one having a trem and the other not. A strat's tonal potential is much wider making it a more versatile instrument IMHO. However teles are great guitars - don't get me wrong and I'd love to have one if I could afford one right now. Think I'd even choose a tele before a LesPaul!

• Members

Your point taken in turn, Cymro -- it's just that I prefer the Tele's bridge PU sound to that of the Strat's and -- as I said -- my JD sig's trick wiring and 5-way switch give me a Strat neck'n quack, plus the Tele's 'both pickups' sound, which I prefer to that of a Strat's middle unit.

That said -- if I can only carry one standard-tuned solidbody to a gig/jam/rehearsal, it'll (almost) always be a Strat because, all else being equal, the trem is the trump card. (But if I was recording, and doing specific numbers where I KNOW I won't need the wigglestick -- then it might very well be the Tele. Just as well I don't want to risk screwing up this particular Tele's sound by adding a Bigsby ...)

• Members

Keep mine tightened down. It takes quite a bit of force to use my trem. I got the strat because of the sound not the trem. I find it i use a trem my licks got from normal lame to super lame it is best not to go there. The trem contributes to the sound.

• Members

I'm obviously a very opinionated person so get over it.

I now have two Strats - a Fender and an SX Ash and I also have a PRS style with a Wilkinson Trem and none of them stay in tune (no answers/comments needed)

I like the tone but screw them down super tight because they just don't work. If you want to actually use a Trem - Get a floyd/Kahler.

• Members

Keep mine tightened down. It takes quite a bit of force to use my trem. I got the strat because of the sound not the trem. I find it i use a trem my licks got from normal lame to super lame it is best not to go there. The trem contributes to the sound.

this

• Members

I've had strats my wole life. never used the trem. never wanted to. just not part of my playing style. if i could get a hardtail strat that would be my choice but they are hard to find. one of these days i may buy a new body and bridge with the hardtail setup and switch my neck over.

• Members

My Legacy has the trem blocked, because when I got it it was my only guitar with a trem and I had never used one.Tuning stability was another reason to block.

My MIM Strat's trem is floating,and gets used.

Now that I'm comfortable with trems and adjusting them,I'll probably unblock the G&L at some point to check it out.

• Members

The first one I bought (aria copy from 79) the trem was missing so I just keep it right down.

The second one (seymour duncan copy) I have the trem for it but I never seem to use it..so it's flush with the body as well.

I still feel very much like I have a ton to learn and at this point the trem kind of seems like a distraction. But at some point that might change so I'm glad I have the option.

• Members

I use trems a lot, it's the only way I can vibrato a note or a chord. I have 2 strats with GFS import trems with steel blocks. I used to have my trems flat on the body, but I've noticed with the GFS trems that if I have it flat, there's a bumping feel/sound when I let up on it during a fast vibrato, as it comes back down on the body. So I set them up with a little tip-up at the rear of the tremolo and there is no bumping feeling that way.

With the cheap stock trems that came with the guitars, and the replacement tremolos every other seller has, I couldn't tune my guitar with any tip-up angle. With the GFS import tremolo, that's not a problem.

• Members

I block mine. I wouldn't be opposed to a hardtail, but I've never actually had a hardtail Strat in my hands, so I don't know how it affects the sound of the guitar.

I don't use trems much, and when it was setup for trem it stayed in tune. The thing I didn't like with a floating setup is that when you bend a string the others go slightly out of tune. That really bothers me, so I went to block and don't plan to go back anytime soon.

• Members

Not enough poll options!

I have my trem tightened down to the body of my two bullet strats, but it floats on my srv.

I found the strings felt stiffer on the SRV with the trem against the body, so I float it and it feels just right.

And my '74 is a hardtail. :)

• Members

Trem use is an intrinsic part of my style to the point that I get slightly neurotic when I'm playing hardtail guitars like my otherwise beloved Tele -- in fact, if I wasn't so trem-addicted the Tele would probably be my main guitar.

I don't quite see the point of using a Strat with the trem disabled -- you'd be better off with a Tele, especially one which (like my Jerry Donahue sig) has a Strat neck PU and a 5-way switch for quackery. As it is, both my Strats have been carefully set up so that tuning is 99% stable -- and the LSR nut/locking tuners on my Jeff Beck Custom Artist definitely make for anxiety-free wangage. As I've often said, if this guitar can handle what JB does to it, it's got nothing to fear from me -- or you.

I agree with Cymro#1 that the difference between a Strat and a Tele go much further than just the trem. I also believe there is more to it than just pickup type and selection. there is also the matter of body shape and contures. For myself, nothing comes close to the comfort and feel of a Strat. Then there is neck shape, nut width, etc. I prefer the strat neck. There is also the matter, all though less important, of cosmetics. Once again, I prefer the Strat

I also believe that both giutars (with or without trems) are as wholes, greater than the sum of their parts. A Strat and a Tele, have inherently different tones and totaly different "vibes".

All that being said, Even though I consider myself a Strat player, I do love Tele's, because they are different.

And yes I do have a wooden block in the trem cavity, 4 springs as tight as they will go, and the six mounting screws tightened down all the way (which cannot be done without the block). I find this setup gives noticabely different tone than a hard tail, and better sustain and IMHO better tone than a floating trem.

Finally, just a disclaimer that all of the above is based soley on my own opinion. Individual results may vary.

• Members

The trem springs generate a slight natural reverb absent in a Tele or a hardtail Strat -- which is presumably why the likes of Clapton, Cooder and Gallagher played regular Strats with immobilised trems rather than hardtails. Robt Cray is the only name player I can recall who deliberately goes for hardtails (as p[er his sig Strat).

• Members

If you look in my sig at Layla, she has all five screws installed and the bridge plate is flush against the body. However, I do use the trem. I like to have a little bit of fight with a vintage-style trem. I don't use it often, but I find that a bit of stiffness does help keep it in better tune.

Archived