Who uses Low watt tube amps, 5W or less?

Beckman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, so far I have found a bunch of kits, schematics, PCB boards, etc. I really want to do it. I can solder alright. I have tons of tools. My dad built our first color TV in the 70's, and my brother-in-law is an electrician if I get in trouble. Not that they have built amps, but they know a bit about electronics.

It seems like the most votes go to the old SF Champs based on posts. I think I am leaning toward a build, I just wanted to see if I was missing anything that people are using. Not as many votes for EP Vjr or Black Heart as I thought. People have been raving about them. I guess I should have said I want to spend under $300, preferably around $200.

it's not cheaper to build them, but it sure is rewarding if you're into that sort of thing. i'd buy a used or abandoned valve jr and make it your own. if you mess it up, you can always gut it and rebuild it with a different circuit/board

i'd recommend turret board or fiberboard for a first time build from the ground up, and the VJ is easy enough to mod if you get instructions from Indyguitarist, or you can sign up at SEwatt.com i believe, and there are a ton of people doing crazy stuff to them there.

then there is also the upgrade kits for the BH5 from mojomusicalsupply.com that were designed for that amp.

truth is good solder and a good iron will help immensely, as will using either cloth push back wire or teflon wire. the PVC insulated stuff melts too easily, and with a lack of soldering experience will look like {censored} and can corrupt your solder joints.

• Members

New to the 5watt Club:

A rescued, original Skylark GA-5:

Skylark_back1.JPG

Skylark_front1.JPG

When I found this amp it had three Zenith radio speakers in it. Someone cut holes into the side and mounted two 4" speakers, painted it black and sealed the back with panelling (the kind you put on the wall) :eek:

I replaced the AC cord with a three-prong style, resolders some disconnected wires, replaced the caps, and installed a Jensen 8" Special Design.

Sounds amazing!

• Members
New to the 5watt Club:

A rescued, original Skylark GA-5:

Skylark_back1.JPG

Skylark_front1.JPG

When I found this amp it had three Zenith radio speakers in it. Someone cut holes into the side and mounted two 4" speakers, painted it black and sealed the back with panelling (the kind you put on the wall)
:eek:

I replaced the AC cord with a three-prong style, resolders some disconnected wires, replaced the caps, and installed a Jensen 8" Special Design.

Sounds amazing!

That is very cool! I'm a big fan of Gibson amps - very, very underrated.

• Members
Nope!

It's a gilmore Jr 1/2 watt amp that I built from a kit. It's a pretty amazing little amp and I built it my-own-self!

FENDER51NO-3048_001.jpg

Are those kits tough or are they alright? I really want to build one, but if I can't get it done in a weekend, I'm not sure I can have that happen

• Members
Nope!

It's a gilmore Jr 1/2 watt amp that I built from a kit. It's a pretty amazing little amp and I built it my-own-self!

FENDER51NO-3048_001.jpg

I have been meaning to get one of those kits for a long time. After I get back from New Mexico, I'm gonna order one.

• Members

I have a Fender Champion 600. I am SHOCKED by how little love it has gotten in this thread. I haven't even retubed or changed the speaker in mine and it is pretty good. I run mine with EQ plus reverb pedals.

Roger

They are great little amps. I changed tubes but left the original speaker in mine. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. I did try another Eminence speaker and it sounded good, but it was a lot louder which sort of defeated the purpose.

• Members

Ratae Coritanorum obviously has greater skill than I, cause it took me several evenings to assemble my Gilmore JR but then again I'm a perfectionist and it was my first amp kit.

Aside from being a nice amp, the support that you get from Guy is far beyond first rate. The man really cares about you success with the kit and will go far out of his way to assure that you end up happy.

There are also several mods available for the Jr that'll give you Fender tones or Marshall tones or even double the output by adding an adaptor and a replacment tube. An added plus is that the amp is very rugged.

The kit is a bit pricy but I think that it's well worth it.

• Members

Legacy Junior 5 watt, it'a a copy of the Epi, (probably comes out of the same factory ??!) great class 'A' practice amp, I can have real valve tone at neighbour friendly volume and I can unplug it's speaker and run it strait into a bigger amp as a tube pre amp. Like the Epi a speaker upgrade is all it needs to give even better tone.

• Members
how does the goblin sound?

I love it. It's only a 1x10, but you can great some great sounds out of it. The "schizo" switch reminds me of Tech21 stuff...there's a US (Fender) setting, British, and "Lo-Fi", kind of like an old Supro. Small, portable, and sounds great. Looks like this:

goblin_page.jpg

I just saw one on Ebay a few days ago, gone now.

• Members

I have an Epiphone Valve Special which is combo version of the Valve Jr. with a 3 band EQ, Gain and Volume, standby switch, reverb and digital effects. I disabled the digital effects and replaced the 10" with a 12" Celestian. Sounds huge! I often play it next to an AC15 and almost everyone prefers the sound of my little Epi. And the whole thing was $175 on eBay.

• Members

I feel I should add that I have been heavily looking into building my own effects and amp. I would love to build a guitar, but don't feel I have the skills. But, chicks dig skills, so that sucks.

Language skilz, puppy - that's the ticket...

• Members

I use a BH Little Giant mini stack in 3 watt mode most of the time. Sometimes, I use my Weber attenuator. Sometimes, I use my homemade isolation cabinet. With all these options, I can play and record at any time of the day or night. And, I know I'll be adding other low watt tube amps to my collection over time.

I still use my modelers...mostly for practice. Modelers offer viable sound and sometimes I'm amazed how well a modeler track sits in the mix of a recording.

Archived