Who uses Low watt tube amps, 5W or less?

Beckman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use a Crate Palomino V8 unmodded (except for an L-pad). I'm happy but very interested in the Blackheart Killer Ant. 5 Watts is still too much.

When it's out, I'd like to hear how it stacks up to the Gilmore.

• Members
This is my low-watt amp that I built. I don't know the output, but I'm guessing about 5W running through a 12" Fender (Eminance).

100_2877.jpg

It started life as:

wollensakt-1500.jpg

Not too pretty on the inside, but it sounds good.

100_2871.jpg

HOLY {censored}!!!!

I have one of those Reel to Reel players!!

:eek:

*goes to basement!*

Can you tell me anything about what you did to it?

• Members
HOLY {censored}!!!!

I have one of those Reel to Reel players!!

:eek:

*goes to basement!*

Can you tell me anything about what you did to it?

Well, now you know what to do with it....:) I really didn't do anything to the amp part (I know nothing about electronics). Basically you just rip off all the motors and tape heads, etc. It already has a mic input. It's set up like a stereo plug... if you push the jack in all the way it's low impedence, leave it slightly out and it's high impedence. There's slider switch that has to be in the right position (upper right of the picture). Otherwise just hook up a speaker, build the cab and you're set. I run it through a equalizer pedal to boost the highs a bit. It stays clean to about 3, nice breakup by 4, and past 5 it just roars.

Just be very careful mucking around inside.... some of those big capicitors will hold a charge for days that will knock you on your ass.

Here's a clip I recorded before I built the cabnet... it sounds better now.
[ATTACH]269606[/ATTACH]

• Members
I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous......wait....bad choice of words.....I've worked on amps before......

...to be honest....I didn't even know there were tubes inside!
:facepalm:

That clips sounds GREAT!......
:love:
Is that just a Blues Junior cab?

Thank you. I built the cabnet. same height/width as a Blues Jr, but slightly deeper.

• Members

you guys try and gig these beast? ive talked to people even about 10watt amps and i hear "good luck with a drummer and expecially with a bass player" and even miced i hear you can be under the table so to speak....so whats the feedback on these live. i reallllyyy wanna to get a Matchless Little Monster. 9 watts. but if i can't gig with it theres no use in buying it. But im hearing they sound godly.

littlemonster_bg.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

There is an Epiphone Valve Junior Hot Rod 5W head due out in 2009, it has a good few mods like, Master, Gain, Reverb controls & speaker outs 4, 8, and 16ohm. Also acts as a 5-watt standalone reverb tank with dummy load output.
I'm in same boat as you & am gonna wait for this. The gain control is mainly my reason for holding off for this one so I can get overdriven tones at lower volume.

• Members

...here is my latest plaything...

100_1187.jpg

each vjr head is tube reverbed/extra pre-amp gain stage/variable voltage regulation of power tube and goes to a 10" speaker in the 2x10" closed cab

the one with black knobs uses 6L6 power tube ...the red knobbed one uses stock EL84 ....i run em both together for a wonderful 3-D sound using a lehle splitter pedal which is much much better than the typical ABY box which i found to be affected by ground loops

• Members
...here is my latest plaything...

100_1187.jpg

each vjr head is tube reverbed/extra pre-amp gain stage/variable voltage regulation of power tube and goes to a 10" speaker in the 2x10" closed cab

the one with black knobs uses 6L6 power tube ...the red knobbed one uses stock EL84 ....i run em both together for a wonderful 3-D sound using a lehle splitter pedal which is much much better than the typical ABY box which i found to be affected by ground loops

did you do the mods yourself? that looks pretty sweet.

• Members

did you do the mods yourself? that looks pretty sweet.

yup

did all the mods and documentation of it plus schematics on sewatt.com in various threads

this arrangement i call the Twin HO's cos HO stands for HIgh Octane ...the awesome 3-gain stage SE amp ...

• Members

I'm curious about the Stage Hog(700USD). It's made by Stephenson Amplification. It is a big pedal, which can be used as a 1 watt amp or an overdrive.

It uses a London PowerScale to control the tube output/overdrive, rather than a master vol. circuit.

As a pedal, it has a boost button w/tone pot.

There's a line level out too.

• Members

I use a 1957 Gibson GA-8 "Gibsonette".

Yeah, it's more like 8 watts than 5, but same ballpark. 1 12AX7, 2 6V6 in parallel, 5Y3 rectifier. One volume knob.

I've got a 10" alnico Eminence and a 10" ceramic Fender blue label, I swap them out from time to time. Think I prefer the alnico but the ceramic is nice and sharp when I want it.

This little thing is... just awesome. (best $25 I ever spent on gear!) Turn the volume to 3.5-4 and the volume doesn't increase any more, from 4-10 is just more saturation. I normally set it halfway (5) and use the guitar volume to go from clean to crunch. Dime the volume out for the greatest tube fuzz tone ever...

...I've gotta go play now!

Archived