what fretboard oil do you use

chrisebrooks06

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do guitar repairs / setups on the side. I see all sorts of neglected guitars come in. I love seeing the looks on their faces when i hand them back their guitar all cleaned up and adjusted. clients have all loved how their fretboards look and feel after i condition using fret doctor.

some before and after pics....

before:
2263874005_ffe53b1fc3_b.jpg

after:
2263891069_fc476a4d6a_b.jpg

here is a 30yr+ old guitar
before:
2255869864_26415b6b65_b.jpg

2265439455_76a316c3bf_b.jpg

Wood is not 'wet' in photos - it really does bring back that rich color without making it damp or saturating wood.

i dont work for that fifer company but as a happy user i cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Members

Lemon oil. It can be purchased at a hardware store cheap compared to what you would find at a guitar store. Same stuff. Different packaging.

Lemon oil is ok as long as it doesn't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates!! Read the label closely!

Direct from the FretDoctor (link) site:

"Lemon Oil, Almond oil, Walnut oil, etc., food grade, are probably O.K., but make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates. Solvents can weaken any adhesives used in instrument construction. Be aware that most "Lemon oils" are no more than lemon-scented mineral oil, as are most bore oils. Real lemon oil is quite acidic, with a pH of 3.7 to 4.2. It is an effective cleaner, but wipe it off when you are finished. Rosewood oil does not even come from the same plant that your fretboard wood came from, not even the same country! It is consists mostly of an aromatic solvent with a Rosewood oil scent added."

I used to use "Lemon Oil" until I read the above quote and contacted some buds who build & repair guitars, and they supported the facts. I now use Fret Doctor, and have noticed that the "dark" or "wet" look is retained for a longer time after applying it than did the "lemon oil" I was using.

-mr moon

• Members
how hard do you have to squeeze a baby to get baby oil?

Good question!

Actually, baby oil is nothing more the mineral oil with "fragrance" added. Funny, I have never smelled anything associated with a baby that smells like baby oil.

:eek:

:wave:

-mr moon

• Members

I've also heard of some people using olive oil.

I have been using lemon oil for the past year, but I just switched to mineral oil. They both work about the same, but I am not 100% on if lemon oil will damage anything, so I switched.

A big bottle of mineral oil that will probably last a lifetime was like $1.50 at walmart in the pharmacy section. It is the mineral oil that is safe for human consumption as a laxative.

• Members
I do guitar repairs / setups on the side. I see all sorts of neglected guitars come in. I love seeing the looks on their faces when i hand them back their guitar all cleaned up and adjusted. clients have all loved how their fretboards look and feel after i condition using fret doctor.

some before and after pics....

before:

2263874005_ffe53b1fc3_b.jpg

after:

2263891069_fc476a4d6a_b.jpg

here is a 30yr+ old guitar

before:

2255869864_26415b6b65_b.jpg

2265439455_76a316c3bf_b.jpg

Wood is not 'wet' in photos - it really does bring back that rich color without making it damp or saturating wood.

i dont work for that fifer company but as a happy user i cannot recommend it highly enough.

Holy crap on that Ibanez...what a difference.

Archived