what fretboard oil do you use

chrisebrooks06

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I live a mile above sea level, so the air doesn't hold much moisture. The good thing is that nothing tarnishes or corrodes, so chrome, gold, and nickel hardware stays shiny. I have to keep my rosewood fretboards conditioned or the grain opens up like the freaking Grand Canyon. I'm using Lizard Spit at the moment:

251698.jpg

• Members

Ok, here goes.

When you oil up your board you then put on new strings I assume?

Then the strings pick up the oil when you play. (I don't care how much you wipe it off, if it shines, there's oil on there).

Other than the esthetic, all you've gained is oily strings, and that can't be so good.

• Members

I like Guitar Honey and Fret Doctor. Let is soak in, theres no rush to re-string your guitar. Even in a hr or so you will see very little signs of oil.

But ya, if you rush to re-string after you oil the board? You'll have oil on your strings. Not that its such a disaster, but its avoidable.

I've read that Mineral Oil is terrible for fret-board use. I would read up on Bore Oil and check out what your using. You very easily could ruin a fretboard. Processed oils like Linseed and what not have a lot of {censored} in them that soaks into your board.

• Members

I don't like the baby oil...it seems to continuously come out of the pores of the wood and get all over the hands and such for quite a while after application.

The Dr Ducks AXEWAX gives dramatic results like the Fret Doctor stuff but doesn't seem to get things messy for days like the baby oil does.

Archived