Are Gibson LP's way overpriced?

Jimbo513

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think they're overpriced too but I can't blame people who have shelled out all that dough for defending them.

Ahh, you're back to Maria Ozawa for your avatar, Damn that woman is yummy. For those who like the occasional walk on the cyper perv side, just google her name. Yummy yummy yummy she gives me luv in my tummy and I feel like luv'n her. :love:

• Members

oh wow looky here...just found one.

I think the point he was trying to get you to understand is that the "average" price for a Gibson isn't as high as you're making it out to be. Finding one that priced at 7K+ doesn't prove anything.

There are several other brands that cost more than most Gibson's but you don't see people complaining about them.

There are also many low and mid ranged priced Gibsons, so I really don't see what all of the complaining is about.

• Members
I think the point he was trying to get you to understand is that the "average" price for a Gibson isn't as high as you're making it out to be. Finding one that priced at 7K+ doesn't prove anything.

There are several other brands that cost more than most Gibson's but you don't see people complaining about them.

There are also many low and mid ranged priced Gibsons, so I really don't see what all of the complaining is about.

yeah but that isnt even the peak...i see some for 14 grand out there too.
its ridiculous. Thats like 3months of work for me. {censored} that.
ill stick with my epi :p

• Members

oh wow looky here...just found one.

yeah and in canada they will sell for a few hundred more. Saw one in steves music store in toronto for almost 7 grand.

Yeah, but when you quoted me earlier, I was talking about Gibson's prices, not the dealers prices. You're talking about dealer prices.

But you'll have to forgive me either way, cuz lately I've been having a hard on for Gibsons. My first 3 Gibsons I didn't really bond with all that much, but the last several I've bought have caused me to put most other guitars aside.

• Members

yeah but that isnt even the peak...i see some for 14 grand out there too.

its ridiculous. Thats like 3months of work for me. {censored} that.

ill stick with my epi
:p

I like Epis too...see my sig. That's not what this is about. 14K might be some elses daily salary and are prefectly willing to spend that on a guitar. Someone else might save for years to buy the same guitar, but again, that isn't the point. As long as people are willing to pay those amounts the guitars aren't over priced. It has nothing to do with how much money you make. They're overpriced for you, but not in general or too someone else. And like I said, they sell guitars in all price ranges, so I still don't understand all of the complaining. Afterall, Epi sells some high priced guitars too...and again, I never hear people complain about that.

• Members

I like Epis too...see my sig. That's not what this is about. 14K might be some elses daily salary and are prefectly willing to spend that on a guitar. Someone else might save for years to buy the same guitar, but again, that isn't the point. As long as people are willing to pay those amounts the guitars aren't over priced. It has nothing to do with how much money you make. They're overpriced for you, but not in general or too someone else. And like I said, they sell guitars in all price ranges, so I still don't understand all of the complaining. Afterall, Epi sells some high priced guitars too...and again, I never hear people complain about that.

how can you deny that an average joe wouldn't think its over priced?

3,4,14 grand is alot of money. The rich aren't the majority. Sure people still dish out the cash...but just because they buy one doesn't mean its not overpriced.

There are guitars which are made with the same materials and they are a fraction of the cost.

You're just paying for the name brand...not necessarily the quality...even though the les pauls are quality guitars, just not for that kind of serious coin.

• Members

I see that this is a pointless debate. I don't know how to make it any clearer, but I'm not going to try any more. But I will add that I'm an average joe, I don't make a lot of money and I don't think their overpriced....can I deny it now?

• Members

how can you deny that an average joe wouldn't think its over priced?

3,4,14 grand is alot of money. The rich aren't the majority.

The rich aren't the majority, true enough. They don't NEED to be in the majority. Because each rich person is WORTH MORE, a lot more, than a poor person. How much more, exactly?

The OMB, Office of Management and the Budget, has calculated that (based on 2005 dollars) a rich person is worth the equivalent of SIX poor people. Or four poor people and a single middle class person. For the purposes of the study (Quantifying Wealth in Non-heterogenous Societies, released in March 2007) a rich person is defined as a person with a net worth exceeding $9 million USD or a person with an annual pre-tax income exceeding $550,000 USD for a single person, $775,000 USD for a married couple.

Gibson is targeting rich people. They are allowed to do that. It is possible for non-rich people to own Gibson guitars, if they are willing to sacrifice, or choose from the lower levels of the Gibson product line. I myself own 3 Gibson guitars. Two of them I bought new, (Gibson Blueshawk, Gibson LP Studio baritone) and one I received as a gift about 6 months ago (1974 Gibson LP Deluxe.)

My Blueshawk was about $800 a year ago, special ordered by my local Gibson dealer. It was one of the last Blueshawks made. My LP baritone was purchased a few years ago, and was around $1200. A couple of months ago I saw them on MF for about $700!!! I was pissed! (Ned gets himself back on topic.)

So, anyway. Rich people are more important than non-rich people, and they COUNT for more. They matter more. The world tends to revolve around them, and why shouldn't it? That's where the money is. ;)

• Members

Heritage is making a great guitar. They go for cheap used.

The VOS gibsons are outstanding guitars.

Not around these parts. They go for as much used as they do new. But then again they are pretty sought after too.

I like Gibsons, always have and probably always will. They're like Harley Davidsons, you can find a better built guitar for cheaper and in bigger quantities, but it ain't a frickin Harley, its a damn Yamaha. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want.

I will say that I do remember not too many years ago that most of them off the rack at the local shops were all pretty nice and that you had to hunt for a playable Epiphone. Then it got to where the Epi's were decent and the Gibsons were hit and miss. Now you're pretty much going to spend atleast a week of hard hunting and upwards to months to find the right one of either.

I have no idea what the hell is going on, but even with cash in hand it took weeks to find 'the' guitar and it was actually about 2-3 models lower than I was planning on getting. Went shopping for a standard or a premium plus studio and ended up with a Vintage Mahogany Studio; quite a drop off in price as well as looks. But it was the only damn player that was worth the money locally.

To add one more thing, my buddy just bought a MIA Tele ash deluxe for about $1300 out the door. Butterscotch blonde, SCN pickups, S-1 switch, hardshell case, strap, straplocks, cleaner, polish, handjob...ok, no handjob. But it is pretty damn close to the top of the line deal, just beautiful. American made and no where near as expensive as a Gibson.

I know we're comparing apples and oranges here, but it isn't even close. And that tele was nicer off the rack then about 90% of the Gibsons around here at twice the price. I might be a Gibson lover, but I've got more Fenders at the moment and they are growing on me big time.

• Members
I'm in the market for a new guitar. I went to a few dealers today. I live in a smaller town and none of them carry Gibson, but one shop had a used Gibson LP standard double cut. I played the Gibson, a few Epiphone LP's, and two LP knockoffs, forgot which brands.

The Gibson was the worst of the bunch to me. The Epi's were good, even the knockoffs. Do I need to make a trip to a bigger store and try more Gibson models? I wouldn't mind paying a premium if that's what it takes to get a great Gibson.

I guess my question is, do the expensive Gibson LP's in the $2000+ range play better than the cheaper, $1000-$1500 ones? Are vintage Gibsons better than new ones as far as feel and playability? Should I forget about Gibson and go Epiphone or another brand?

I also played a Schecter C1-Elite and really like it.

Nah...forget the Gibby, and buy a Fender...:thu:

• Members

If you think that a gibson les paul standard or deluxe is mainly for the upper class market than you should see how much a professional grade cello or tuba goes for.

Fender guitars are a better value than Gibsons because Fender has a much higher volume of sales than Gibson. It's basic economics that shouldnt be bitched about.

• Members

If you think that a gibson les paul standard or deluxe is mainly for the upper class market than you should see how much a professional grade cello or tuba goes for.

Fender guitars are a better value than Gibsons because Fender has a much higher volume of sales than Gibson. It's basic economics that shouldnt be bitched about.

True, plus Fenders designs appear based on the wood scraps a guy happened to find in his garage one day.

• Members

somebody made the good point also that Gibson LP's have always been higher priced, from way back...it would be interesting to see if they've held pretty much the same ratio in price over the years to Fenders and such, my guess is they have....I seem to remember a USA Fender strat retailing for $799 on average thruout the 1990's?....now they're about 950 -1k?... so that would mean Gibson LP Standards went for ,what, about 1.6k- 1.9k, and now they're about 2.2k? ...Like everything else, they go up and in that context, are not overpriced, unless you've felt they were overpriced from day 1.

• Members

are you kidding me?

they have no justification in selling guitars for over 3-4 grand. Im pretty sure they aren't looking through dumpsters for their next meal.

The justification is that they can sell their products for whatever they believe the market will bear, just as everyone else does.

If the company that makes Agile guitars could sell their Les Paul knockoffs for twice the price, rest assured they would. Problem is no one would buy them, and they've priced them accordingly.

• Members

Jeeze, you whingeing f&*Kn yanks:thu:

I bought my LP in your fine country and after NYC taxes, I'd paid about the same as a standard in blighty!

Seriously though

LP's can seem very expensive (ironically, when I was buying mine, they wouldn't move nearly so much on a standard:freak:)

They are not over priced. If they were, people would stop buying them!

Also dont listen to the "poor QC" mob. I tried a LOT of guitars before settling on mine, none were dogs

• Members

The market determines the price. If Gibson were to sell 0 guitars in 2008 they'd have to lower their prices. Obviously that ain't gonna happen.

That's the bottom line. Basic Economics 101. Whatever the market will bear will determine what the price will be. It's as simple as that. These guitars are selling, it would be insane to lower prices for no apparent reason.

If the price isn't in your price range then sorry but that's just how it is. That's kinda the point. You can say the same thing about BMW's, are they overpriced? Probably but then again they are selling quite well and the point is kinda that everyone can't afford them. They're intended to be somewhat elitist. They do have entry level vehicles same as Gibson has entry level models (faded, studio, etc.) but the high price just goes along with their position in the market place.

Gibsons are expensive. Deal with it or don't.

Archived